Question about GeorgeL cables

piper19

• Members

Maybe stupid question, but I just bought a few GeorgeL jacks and cable. Can I do something wrong with them? I find it a bit weird not to solder...I also read somewhere that the cut in the cable has to be perfect straight, or you'll have problems?

• Members

Yes, you have to make a reasonably straight cut...just make circular the end after your cut. Then push in until it stops, note it goes about 1/16 a inch past where it first provides resistance.....then TIGHTEN GOOD AND TIGHT, and when you have a second to ponder your pedal board every week or so, make sure they are all tight. You won't have problems then!

• Members

Originally posted by piper19

mmm, it doesn't work.

I use a cutter to adjust the cable to the proper length, but it's all messed up. The cable becomes flat, or the metal parts contact with the middle...

What is the best tool to make the cut?

it does work.

try a blade.

• Members

for as often as this subject comes up one would think that every George L's connector would come with explicit instructions or something.... *sigh*

but having George L's I can understand why some people have a tough time getting them to work right.

• Members

I used George L's for 3 years and liked how little space they take up and they provide good tone...I hated having to tighten little thumb screws and REALLLYYY hated forgeting to tighten one and stomp on a pedal in the middle of a show and have a cable loose conection somewhere on my board and have to figure it out. I switched to Lava Cable. They use Canare cable which,to me, provides just as much clean tone as GL's. They do custom lengths too, if you request. No more headaches from bad cable woes.
check them out www.lavacable.com

• Members

It's really getting frustrating now...
1/ I cut the wire with a sharp blade. It's better now, but still the wire is a bit deformed (not round anymore)
2/ I put the wire into the jack. When I check the wire afterwards, the needle that's in the jack didn't even touch the core of the wire! It makes a hole in the wire, but always in the black isolation.
3/ I suppose the screw of the jack has to cut a bit of the wire to make the earth? This doesn't feel professional to me...

I still can't get any sound out of it.

• Members

Originally posted by piper19

I press it in till it doesn't get any further. If I press more, the cable bends. The screw I tighten with my fingers till it stops.

The screw must be tightened till there's no large space left between the metal parts.

• Members

I used a Craftsman 4" utility cutter (pliers type thing with a 4" razor blade & rubber anvil base) to do mine. Used unplated brass connectors as in the past I've had the chrome plating flake off into my pedals. I did my whole setup you see here in about an hour, never testing anything 'til I was done. Not a single problem.
Just make sure you get a nice straight right-angle cut, use your fingers to make sure the cut end is round, push it into the connector while wiggling it a little. You'll feel it bottom out. Bend it "slightly" over, just enough to start the threads on the cap, then screw it down ALL THE WAY. Use a pliers to tighten if you have to.
Pedals101805.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by guitarchris

I used George L's for 3 years and liked how little space they take up and they provide good tone...I hated having to tighten little thumb screws and REALLLYYY hated forgeting to tighten one and stomp on a pedal in the middle of a show and have a cable loose conection somewhere on my board and have to figure it out. I switched to Lava Cable. They use Canare cable which,to me, provides just as much clean tone as GL's. They do custom lengths too, if you request. No more headaches from bad cable woes.

check them out
www.lavacable.com

I've always had Geaoge L's in my board and I've always had short problems. I take out certain pedals here and there, so ther is added stress. I was going to ditch them and go with the new Planet waves shorties. I use their cables exclusivly, now.

Thanks for the tip

• Members
Originally posted by guitarchris

check them out
www.lavacable.com

Cool. There's a dealer about 10 minutes from here *grabs jacket

• Members

My pedalboard (about 11 pedals) is entirely wired with George L's.

I'm always rearranging pedals and so, and since I always want patch cables that fit precisely, George L's are the solution. I gig twice a month and through many many years they never gave me any problem.

Now and then I compare my sound with pedals to the sound of my guitar going straight into the amp, and the outcome is that the George L's perform excellent.

And while it's not that important I still want to point out that guys like EJ, Keeley etc also use and promote the GL's. If it's good enough for the pros .....

Archived