Hey Guys! New to the forum, but I'm sure you're familiar with where I'm from!

Marin Timmy

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by ScreamCage

wait a minute, the Grateful Dead and Journey are the big guns, and Les Claypool and Janis Joplin are the "lesser artists"?

Hey, thanks for replying! Yes indeed, the Dead and Journey are among the greatest acts to come out of Marin or any other county. The Dead are the top grossing live act of all time, period. Journey's Greatest Hits is certified diamond (10 million plus copies sold) while their Escape LP is at 9 million units and counting.

Les Claypool, despite his incredible manual dexterity, is essentially a novelty act. Also, his whole "wacky bass-fishin' blue collar dude" persona doesn't really fit in with the more subdued and upscale Marin vibe. The fact that he now lives in Bodega Bay (in Sonoma County) means he should probably be scratched from the list entirely.

You're right, Janis should be higher on the list. I've found she's an important figure for women -- she's kind of like a female SRV in the way she successfully repackaged black blues idioms for a white audience. I was reluctant to put her up there with the more significant artists because, frankly, she was really homely.

• Members

Originally posted by Marin Timmy

You're right, Janis should be higher on the list. I've found she's an important figure for women -- she's kind of like a female SRV in the way she successfully repackaged black blues idioms for a white audience. I was reluctant to put her up there with the more significant artists because, frankly, she was really homely.

Just so the rest of you know, Marin does not claim this guy. We're doing what we can to get him relocated to Oakland.

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

Just so the rest of you know, Marin does not claim this guy. We're doing what we can to get him relocated to Oakland.

And how are we to know that you can rightfully claim Marin? Judging from your posting style, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that at best you're from Novato, which is geographically within county limits but culturally more like a suburb of Vallejo. It's also the bedroom community for the SFPD -- something like half the male residents of that town are cops. Own up Sparky -- are you a PIG?

Enough of the pissing contests, my chi is totally balanced right now and I'm here to celebrate the music. One more for the list: multiple Grammy winning producer (and Mill Valley resident) Narada Michael Walden!

• Members

And how are we to know that you can rightfully claim Marin? Judging from your posting style, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that at best you're from Novato, which is geographically within county limits but culturally more like a suburb of Vallejo. It's also the bedroom community for the SFPD -- something like half the male residents of that town are cops. Own up Sparky -- are you a PIG?

Enough of the pissing contests, my chi is totally balanced right now and I'm here to celebrate the music. One more for the list: multiple Grammy winning producer (and Mill Valley resident) Narada Michael Walden!

Wow you seem to know quite a bit about Novato Timmy. No I'm no police officer but if I were I'd be proud. My respect goes to them; they have the hardest job in the world.

So much for your mystical ability to judge a person's location or vocation purely on "posting style". :rolleyes:

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Ecc83

LOL,

Eddie Murphy comes from Freeport, Long Island

Not Marin County

For several years Eddie maintained a home outside of Novato. He fell in love with the area while making the hit film "Metro".

Another for the list: former San Quentin inmate (and "Party All the Time" producer and co-writer) Rick James.

• Members

Originally posted by adolf

:D
:D

I'm not a memmber of the frightened majority who, despite having never set foot there, automatically associates Oakland with gangs and crime. I often enjoy shopping and a fine meal in Rockridge, and regularly visit friends in Montclair (the rest of the city should be avoided, however, because it it unsafe). I'm also a big fan of the blues and appreciate Oakland's rich musical legacy.

NP: Eric Clapton and BB King, "Riding with the King"

• Members

I'm not a memmber of the frightened majority who, despite having never set foot there, automatically associates Oakland with gangs and crime. I often enjoy shopping and a fine meal in Rockridge, and regularly visit friends in Montclair (the rest of the city should be avoided, however, because it it unsafe). I'm also a big fan of the blues and appreciate Oakland's rich musical legacy.

NP: Eric Clapton and BB King, "Riding with the King"

shut the {censored} up

:wave:

Archived