Comparitive dBs of clean boosts

Jeztastic

Guest Anonymous

I'm pretty sure +20db to +25db is the max before the signal begins to distort, so any clean boost that doesn't get dirty is most likely maxed out around that range.

devi-

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

I'm pretty sure +20db to +25db is the max before the signal begins to distort, so any clean boost that doesn't get dirty is most likely maxed out around that range.

devi-

Cheers Devi...

So any clean boost which claims to be 'louder' than the other... it just gets more distorted as it gets louder?

Are there not any clean boosts out there which are the 'Fender Twin' of boosts - IE have {censored}loads of clean headroom?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Jeztastic

Cheers Devi...

So any clean boost which claims to be 'louder' than the other... it just gets more distorted as it gets louder?

Are there not any clean boosts out there which are the 'Fender Twin' of boosts - IE have {censored}loads of clean headroom?

Pretty much so, but it'll also push your amp harder too.

... and I'd look into getting a Super Hard On. :')

devi-

• Members

devi-

That's good to know. I don't really like clean boosts that distort. Kind of defeats the purpose, 'eh?

Anyhow, what clean boosts go to the 20-25 db range? I need a cheap one for my one channel amps.

• Members

Pretty much so, but it'll also push your amp harder too.

... and I'd look into getting a Super Hard On. :')

devi-

Well, being a man of ambition, I was thinking more of an SD2in1, but sadly, I can't afford it.

I hate a clean boost that distorts when I don't want it to as well. :mad:

I don't mind a clean boost that distorts when I tell it to though...

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

That's good to know. I don't really like clean boosts that distort. Kind of defeats the purpose, 'eh?

Anyhow, what clean boosts go to the 20-25 db range? I need a cheap one for my one channel amps.

Ask Delorean if he's got of those re-housed MXR Commande preamps left. He did me one and it's schweet! It's got a tone control too, so you can use it as a treble boost too.

• Members

$90 cheap enough for ya?

(next batch of Clean Sanchezzes will be powdercoated and silk-screened).

Ofcourse if you're looking for cheaper, I'd say a DOD FX10 or something like that.

• Members

you're right about boosters not being able to go above a certain dB range... and here's the logic.

you start off with a nominal signal of around 100 mV p-p (peak-to-peak) for your guitar, and that's not including transients (picking causes a very strong jump up to sometimes 4 volts peak!). each time your "booster" doubles that voltage, you are increasing gain by 3dB.

under my model, with maximum headroom of 9V p-p available from a 9V battery, doubling can occur once to 200mV, twice to 400mV, three times to 800mV, four times to 1.2V, five times to 2.4V, six times to 4.8V, and finally at the seventh doubling of signal amplitude you reach 9.6V p-p and exceed the headroom of the battery.

doubling the signal 7 times gives you a 7X3dB increase in gain, or 21dB. that's the theoretical maximum gain for a 9V booster. it goes up 3 dB for each doubling of battery voltage, so you can get 24dB gain out of an 18VDC-powered booster (two batteries).

now keep in mind, i started with 100mV p-p as a standard for a guitar signal. that's not enirely accurate... every guitar is different, and some put out enormous spikes when you pick, causing ANY booster to distort even if it's just increasing gain by a measley 6 dB!

what's really important about clean booster design is to maintain headroom at low gain so you don't hear any distortion from that unit when the knob is turned down. the LPB, for example, has fixed gain with a master volume control. that's terrible for clean headroom... it clips all the time, but you can turn down how loud the clipped signal is! the MXR microamp uses variable gain, which gives it good headroom. the SHO uses variable gain. several other famous boosters do not, for example, the fat boost uses fixed gain with a master volume (from the schematics i've seen, however limited they may be).

if you're wondering just how much clean headroom a booster has, ask the designer if it has fixed or variable input gain. if it's fixed, you'll probably hear a lot more distortion all the time.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by zachary vex

you're right about boosters not being able to go above a certain dB range... and here's the logic.

you start off with a nominal signal of around 100 mV p-p (peak-to-peak) for your guitar, and that's not including transients (picking causes a very strong jump up to sometimes 4 volts peak!). each time your "booster" doubles that voltage, you are increasing gain by 3dB.

under my model, with maximum headroom of 9V p-p available from a 9V battery, doubling can occur once to 200mV, twice to 400mV, three times to 800mV, four times to 1.2V, five times to 2.4V, six times to 4.8V, and finally at the seventh doubling of signal amplitude you reach 9.6V p-p and exceed the headroom of the battery.

doubling the signal 7 times gives you a 7X3dB increase in gain, or 21dB. that's the theoretical maximum gain for a 9V booster. it goes up 3 dB for each doubling of battery voltage, so you can get 24dB gain out of an 18VDC-powered booster (two batteries).

now keep in mind, i started with 100mV p-p as a standard for a guitar signal. that's not enirely accurate... every guitar is different, and some put out enormous spikes when you pick, causing ANY booster to distort even if it's just increasing gain by a measley 6 dB!

what's really important about clean booster design is to maintain headroom at low gain so you don't hear any distortion from that unit when the knob is turned down. the LPB, for example, has fixed gain with a master volume control. that's terrible for clean headroom... it clips all the time, but you can turn down how loud the clipped signal is! the MXR microamp uses variable gain, which gives it good headroom. the SHO uses variable gain. several other famous boosters do not, for example, the fat boost uses fixed gain with a master volume (from the schematics i've seen, however limited they may be).

if you're wondering just how much clean headroom a booster has, ask the designer if it has fixed or variable input gain. if it's fixed, you'll probably hear a lot more distortion all the time.

This is why you should get a SHO. ;)

devi-

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Jeztastic

Well, being a man of ambition, I was thinking more of an SD2in1, but sadly, I can't afford it.

I hate a clean boost that distorts when I don't want it to as well.
:mad:

I don't mind a clean boost that distorts when I tell it to though...

Get an SHO, and then when you have the money later, sell the SHO and get a Super Duper. :')

devi-

Guest Anonymous

I doubt any clean boost out there isn't with-in the 20-25db range. That was kinda the point by my first post.

Have you considered an EQ pedal? Most modern EQ pedals have a master control that has +25db of boost.

Actually... you should be able to find SOME forumite who'd be willing to build you a clean boost clone of some kind for under $100.

Or better yet, this would be a good opportunity for you to jump on the DIY band wagon as clean boosts are _very_ easy to assemble and trouble shoot.

devi-

• Members

If you are prepared to forego battery power and can accept ultra-linear mosfet transistors then you can go as high as you want in terms of clean boost.

There are reference designs for these kind of applications and you could get one built for reasonable money.

None of the big names make one because there is no real demand.

• Members

I doubt any clean boost out there isn't with-in the 20-25db range. That was kinda the point by my first post.

Have you considered an EQ pedal? Most modern EQ pedals have a master control that has +25db of boost.

Actually... you should be able to find SOME forumite who'd be willing to build you a clean boost clone of some kind for under $100.

See my earlier post. My Clean Sanchez is based on the MXR Micro Amp, which means variable gain. Only after 3 'o clock it starts clipping (although I use a 300mV output DiMarzio Evolution bridge pup).

• Members

Doesn't get more authoritative than that...

So basically, we're constrained by 9 volt batteries... Has anyone thought of making a clean boost with 2 batteries? Or with a dedicated PSU?

It that outside your 'rules' Zach, using 2 batteries?

• Members

i think there are already a number of boosters that can run off of 18 volts. infact most mosfet boosters can run off that voltage just by replacing a couple of capacitors. Most of them that i know of use a BS170 mosfet or something similar... the mosfet typically will handle 25V... if you look inside and check the electrolytic caps, you will see their voltage rating.... a lot of guys use 16 volt or 25 volt caps... just dont use anything within about 1 volt of the max rating and you should be fine.

• Members

I calculated the Katana Boost (and Modern Side fo the TMB) to be 23 db at one point in time. Lost too many computer files since then! Depending on what your driving the Katana stays clean for a long time. Peple seem to be really happy with it and flat response. Sometimes I feel a few complaints that it adds bass....very easy fix for those guys, I just drop a couple cap values.

Neeeeeaaat Pedal!!

:thu:

Hey, both the SHO, Orman, and tmb...:thu:

rk

Archived