hangwire

• Members

Classic Traditional Eggnog

6 eggs
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup brandy
1/3 cup dark rum (Captain Morgan for best flavor, but Myers is OK)
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups milk
All liquids should be very cold. Refrigerate in advance.

Ratio: Less Egg More Nog!!!

• Members

Originally posted by paydirt

Classic Traditional Eggnog

6 eggs

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

3/4 cup brandy

1/3 cup dark rum (Captain Morgan for best flavor, but Myers is OK)

2 cups whipping cream

2 cups milk

All liquids should be very cold. Refrigerate in advance.

Ratio: Less Egg More Nog!!!

no , I'll be cooking enough this sunday... we have the lofat eggnog... I just dumped 1:3 appletone rum:eggnog last year and most people liked it, but a few did say it tasted "off"... I'll pickup a bottle of Colonel KwikEMart's Kentucky Burbon that day...

• Members

I already have my Korbel VSOP for my Brandy Old Fashionds for this sundays holiday party... and since I don't drink mixed drinks with "milk"-ish stuff in it... I am thinking that I might just get a bottle of bourbon so I don't waste my nice brandy... I mean, I am nice to my guests... but that would just be a waste of nice brandy :thu:

anyone tried it with Rye whiskey? I have been meaning to try old Overholt for a while...

• Members
Originally posted by hangwire

I already have my Korbel VSOP for my Brandy Old Fashionds for this sundays holiday party... and since I don't drink mixed drinks with "milk"-ish stuff in it... I am thinking that I might just get a bottle of bourbon so I don't waste my nice brandy... I mean, I am nice to my guests... but that would just be a waste of nice brandy
:thu:

anyone tried it with Rye whiskey? I have been meaning to try old Overholt for a while...

I'm seriously the same about the milk+booze thing. It has no allure for me. Stick with plain old bourbon or rye will work. I think any whiskey derivative will do as you'll have all that cream + nutmeg to cover up anything subtle about quality booze.

Milk + Booze = Laverne.

• Members
Originally posted by yaz75

I'm seriously the same about the milk+booze thing. It has no allure for me. Stick with plain old bourbon or rye will work. I think any whiskey derivative will do as you'll have all that cream + nutmeg to cover up anything subtle about quality booze.

Milk + Booze = Laverne.

It sucks because I really wish I could enjoy the $1 white russian special when the big lebowski plays at the local indie theater.

• Members

It sucks because I really wish I could enjoy the $1 white russian special when the big lebowski plays at the local indie theater.

You can only drink them if you have a scruffy beard and it runs all into your facial hair with every sip. That and it's manditory that you wear a beat-up bathrobe.

But again I'm, with you. I WANT to like them so much but I just don't.

I'll be crying in the corner with my boring old Tanqueray and Tonics.

• Members
Originally posted by yaz75

You can only drink them if you have a scruffy beard and it runs all into your facial hair with every sip. That and it's manditory that you wear a beat-up bathrobe.

But again I'm, with you. I WANT to like them so much but I just don't.

I'll be crying in the corner with my boring old Tanqueray and Tonics.

If I comb my beard out, it can get puffy, but not "dude" territory... I actually just trimmed a lot off, so especially not now...

...and I am not sure if it is nationwide, but Tanqueray has 5 billboards in town... all of this really skinny black guy all slicked up in a green suit... the look on his face is just what chessy jokes are made of... :D

• Members

If I comb my beard out, it can get puffy, but not "dude" territory... I actually just trimmed a lot off, so especially not now...

...and I am not sure if it is nationwide, but Tanqueray has 5 billboards in town... all of this really skinny black guy all slicked up in a green suit... the look on his face is just what chessy jokes are made of...
:D

I've seen the ads, but given my level of sobriety at the time, he just looks fuzzy to me.

"NOBODY {censored}s with the Jesus!"

"8 year olds Dude."

• Members
Originally posted by Kap'n

Yeah, the idea of sucking down raw eggs just creeps me out.

And there is a
wrong
way. Mezcal.
:D

Nog is technically cooked. It is just an unset custard. The proper way to make it is to heat your cream right to the brink of boiling, stiring constantly (and I mean constantly). It is a fine line. Cream burns very easily and tastes awful if it is burned. Ok, then take your eggs and beat them and preferably strain them to remove those "strings". Wisk the sugar into the eggs and then proceed to "temper" the cream into the egg and sugar mixture. Tempering is when you wisk the egg and sugar mixture constantly and with the other hand slowly ladle the hot cream into the egg mixture. This technically cooks the eggs without setting the protiens.

• Members

ok so someone said just burbon

other said rum and brandy [sounds like a Tom and Jerry actually...]

spo which is it?

It used to be very regional. Depnding on country or area in the U.S.

Rum was the traditional ingredient in Elizabethian England and colonial New England; part of the trade circle between England, the Carribean, and the U.S., Rum was probably the most available and most popular liquor.

The "Tom and Jerry" was invented around Egg nog, in 1820 the author Pierce Egan added Brandy to Egg Nog to commemorate his book...Life of London: or Days and Nights of Jerry Hawthorne and His Elegant Friend Corinthina Tom. Yes, the drink "Tom and Jerry" came before the cartoon characters, which were probably names after the drink (remember, the animated shorts of the '30's through '50's were made with adult audiences in mind, not children).

Bourbon, the original liquor of the United States (so named by congress in '63), and its sour-mash cousins from outside of Kentucky, has always been the favorite liquor in the American Southeast (for obvious reason, it is made there). So, Egg Nog with Bourbon is a Southern tradition.

Other regional areas all added their own local favorites...Rye (Ireland and Canada), Scotch (duh, Scotland), etc. in the same tradition as the South used Bourbon.

-Y.

Archived