Screw the NY Transit workers!

Joe Klink

• Members

Originally posted by StratAtak83

you better believe it , i work for the city its crazy how some employees get paid crap, transit token booth clerks making 55,000 , startting salary for a lawyer defending the city , 53,000 , cop get paid less than 30,000 ..

I know this , i work for payroll in a city agency , transit is asking for things that other unions have no way of getting, they want 24% increase, they were offered about 10 over all , my agency got only 5 , do the math ...

Strange. The most I can find ANYWHERE that a TWU worker makes is $34K starting. In NYC I can't imagine that is remotely a living income. And for cops it is $25K for the first 6 months in the accedemy. After 18 months it goes up from there.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm 49, been working since I was 15, and still haven't cracked the 40k/year mark. A bus driver starts at 36K, and within 15 months is at 40K, after 2 years is at 55K. Plus all the benefits and full pension at 55 years old.
I say they're way OVERPAID for what they do.
This strike is about the TWU wanting benefits for FUTURE employees who aren't even hired yet! That's just insane.
They cry about putting in 1% of their pay towards pension and 6% towards health care. They say that's too much!
Their greed knows no limits.
I say pull a Reagan and fire the bunch, I'll gladly go over there and drive a bus for that kind of money, and I'm sure there's a whole lot of people like me that would snap up a cake job like theirs in a heartbeat.

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

I say pull a Reagan and fire the bunch, I'll gladly go over there and drive a bus for that kind of money, and I'm sure there's a whole lot of people like me that would snap up a cake job like theirs in a heartbeat.

This is EXACTLY what the point is. Reagan/Thatcher make regular folk feel good about hating other regular folk. Keeps us rabble distracted from the real greed.

• Members

Originally posted by catalinbread

Strange. The most I can find ANYWHERE that a TWU worker makes is $34K starting. In NYC I can't imagine that is remotely a living income. And for cops it is $25K for the first 6 months in the accedemy. After 18 months it goes up from there.

ok. so starting salary for a TWU worker is $34k.

i went to college and got a degree. I'm 28 now. this is the first year i'll make more that $34k. until this year, i haven't made more than $30k. so apparently what i should have done is graduated high school and taken the NYC civil service test. i'd be 10 years in by now, not paying a dime for health insurance or a retirement fund, and not have to rack my brain every day to push harder.

• Members

TWU worker makes is $34K starting....And for cops it is $25K for the first 6 months in the accedemy. After 18 months it goes up from there.

There you go. And the TWU worker gets to retire after 25 years with half pay. No wonder it takes years on the waiting list to even be eligable for one of these jobs. And not only that, most of these Boother Clerks are like zombies, they won't help you or even look at you. They operate like slow robots.

I have nothing against the workers really, it's the union leaders and the way they negotiate. Bunch of pricks if you ask me. It's a beautiful thing when the right people are carrying out negotiations, but there's so much hate going around it's scary.

• Members

Originally posted by RJpilot

"Cuz all of us union types are all greedy douches. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

No, just the TWU. Why should they be entitled to retire at 55 when everyone else has to work another ten years? Why are they entitled to more money than a firefighter? Why are they entitled to 100% feree health care when every other American has to contribute to their health benefits?

Because they're a bunch of greedy bastards who think they can screw the city to get their way. Bloomberg should fire all of them and automate the entire system as soon as possible. At least a Metrocard machine won't give you a {censored}ty attitude. Token booth clerks are useless anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

ok. so starting salary for a TWU worker is $34k.

i went to college and got a degree. I'm 28 now. this is the first year i'll make more that $34k. until this year, i haven't made more than $30k. so apparently what i should have done is graduated high school and taken the NYC civil service test. i'd be 10 years in by now, not paying a dime for health insurance or a retirement fund, and not have to rack my brain every day to push harder.

Certainly at somepoint it became clear that government jobs are the ones with the security? This is what baffles me about regular people who agree with privatization. Privatize it and it becomes efficient by not taking care of the regular folk who work there. How can you call it greed if somebody wants to earn more money? I certainly do not consider you greedy because I imagine that is among other things an ambition of yours. I'd support you if the only way you could make gains was to picket.

• Members

Originally posted by Joe Klink

No wonder it takes years on the waiting list to even be eligable for one of these jobs. And not only that, most of these Boother Clerks are like zombies, they won't help you or even look at you. They operate like slow robots.

That's exactly right. Why should they bother to work hard or to even be a civil human being when the union guarantees them that they won't lose their job no matter how inept they are, and then they'll still get a fat pay raise. Ridiculous.

• Members

How can you call it greed if somebody wants to earn more money?

I don't call it greed if someone wants more money. I call it greed when someone does a {censored}ty job with a rotten attitude all year, and then turns around and says, give me more money or I'm walking of the job and screwing the entire city.

• Members

working a few years for the twu , with a high school diploma , making over 50k..

compare that to lawyers who crack their heads in law school with loans up the ying yang, on the same plane of pay, city lawyers need increases, you know how many scum bags sue the city for the most minute things, city unleashed over a half billion dollars in lawsuits , damn

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Twang

Bloomberg should fire all of them and automate the entire system as soon as possible. At least a Metrocard machine won't give you a {censored}ty attitude. Token booth clerks are useless anyway.

Good idea. I think everything should be automated. So that we are all at the mercy of pissdown economics and wealth accumulates absolutely to the top 2%. I would find it entertaining, inbetween worrying about feeding myself to watch the elite scrap over who has the largest yacht.

• Members

Originally posted by StratAtak83

working a few years for the twu , with a high school diploma , making over 50k..

compare that to lawyers who crack their heads in law school with loans up the ying yang, on the same plane of pay, city lawyers need increases, you know how many scum bags sue the city for the most minute things, city unleashed over a half billion dollars in lawsuits , damn

Yes yes yes... Maybe these lawyers should form a strong union?!

• Members

Hey dopes, the TWU is not only token both workers. It's the people who drive the {censored}ing trains and work in the tunnels. At least if you are going to make an argument, try not to be a dishonest douche bag.

Anyway, I'm opposed to the strike. I understand their slippery slope argument..but this is not the time to fight it, and this is not the union to take up the fight. The deal the MTA offered them appears to be fair. They should take it.

• Members

Greedy>>>blue collar

Woth every penny>>>wall street

I just don't understand how corporations/CEOs and in this case the city of NY are winning the publicity fight. Those MULTI-MILLIONAIRES actually have this country (which is filled predominantly with blue-collar workers who live paycheck to paycheck) believing that blue collar workers are lazy and greedy.

• Members

Originally posted by RJpilot

Greedy>>>blue collar

Woth every penny>>>wall street

I just don't understand how corporations/CEOs and in this case the city of NY are winning the publicity fight. Those MULTI-MILLIONAIRES actually have this country (which is filled with blue-collar workers who live paycheck to paycheck) believing that blue collar workers are lazy and greedy.

The Reagan formula!!

The TWU is going too far, but this is an ideology driven strike more than anything.

• Members

Good idea. I think everything should be automated. So that we are all at the mercy of pissdown economics and wealth accumulates absolutely to the top 2%. I would find it entertaining, inbetween worrying about feeding myself to watch the elite scrap over who has the largest yacht.

When stupid moron jobs like that go away it might force some people get up off of their asses and be something. So many people settle into brainless jobs and live out a brainless life. Let's stop progress so the morons can have jobs that allow them to stay morons.

• Members

Yeah, they definitely deserve $55k per year for that.

Heres the thing... How much do you feel you deserve to be paid for the sacrifices you make in order to live in our society? I call it sacrifice because unless you are doing EXACTLY that which is your calling in life you are making sacrifices. I do not know what you do for a living and frankly that is none of my business. But what is my business is unless yr an exec pulling in $30M/year from stock options you're just like me. I can't call YOU greedy for wanting MORE. In order for me to call you greedy and be intellectually consistant I have to also devalue your human value in my own mind. Sorry that is too elitist.

• Members

When stupid moron jobs like that go away it might force some people get up off of their asses and be something. So many people settle into brainless jobs and live out a brainless life. Let's stop progress so the morons can have jobs that allow them to stay morons.

More brilliance from another dim bulb. Not everyone can be a {censored}ing stock brocker or lawyer. In a society, there will always be a need for people to clean toilets, collect garbage, and yes even drive a subway train. As opposed to you who thinks that those people are there for you to {censored} on so you can feel better about your own pathetic existence, I chose to think they deserve some dignity and respect. Call me kooky!!!

• Members

Originally posted by BIGD

Hey dopes, the TWU is not only token both workers. It's the people who drive the {censored}ing trains and work in the tunnels. At least if you are going to make an argument, try not to be a dishonest douche bag.

Yeah, the Ralph Cramdens of the world. {censored}em! If they want to make money they should drive limos. Start a limo service. Be something. Or, they can take the {censored}ty deal and shut up!

• Members

Yeah, the Ralph Cramdens of the world. {censored}em! If they want to make money they should drive limos. Start a limo service. Be something. Or, they can take the {censored}ty deal and shut up!

Oh, now you're trying to be funny?

The truth is that in this world, not everyone can "BE SOMEBODY" in terms of their occupation, despite what Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity might tell you. Resources are finite.

• Members

Wow, you're really a douche, and it's quite apparent that you don't have a clue. The TWU workers already get paid more than teachers, firefighters, AND police officers.

The offer on the table doesn't even affect the current workers -- the MTA merely wants to raise the retirement age for NEW employees from 55 to 62. Which means that all current employees will still get their raises and keep all of their current benefits. So they get to retire at 55! That's insane, and totally greedy. The only reason they get away with this selfishness and greed is because they know they have NYC by the balls. But we all know that the greedy bastards will eventually get their raise, and we're the ones who are going to have to pay for it with inevitable fare increases. Just you wait.

But no, they have to be selfish bastards and try to screw the good people of New York City, and right before Christmas.

I say let them continue to strike because for every day they are on strike, the union gets fined $1 million and each worker gets fined two days pay. The strike is illegal, so they deserve any punishment they get.

{censored} them. And {censored} you for your arrogance and greed, you douche.

• Members

Originally posted by BIGD

Anyway, I'm opposed to the strike. I understand their slippery slope argument..but this is not the time to fight it, and this is not the union to take up the fight. The deal the MTA offered them appears to be fair. They should take it.

Everytime a union accepts something that barely maintains status quo they lose strength exponentially. I believe in strong unions. I also believe a huge problem with our country is our social networks are broken. Trade unions to fraternal lodges to churches to stitch and bitches are the places that real social change takes root. Unless you are in the elite class of our society social change benefits you and at the very worst doesn't effect you at all.

Archived