Explosions in the Sky gear?

Pwn3d

• Members

What do they use?

I know the guy who plays bass uses an ibanez talman and I've seen a boss tuner and a dod 250 at his feet. Another uses a fender tornado and witha dl4 and a fender twin it looks like. And I think the other uses a fender standard MIM strat through a bassman stack.

Can anyone else chime in and add the effects that are missing and correct any of what I said? I'd really like to know.

• Members

from seeing them 2 months ago with the horrifically boring Four Tet... i'm certain that i saw:

Guitars:

1 x Fender Toronado, black, red shell pickguard.

1 x Fender Jaguar HH, black, black pickguard.

1 x Fender American Strat, blue/green, noiseless pickups, maple neck. (Munaf, the lead guitarists).

1 x Fender Precision Bass, sunburst, white pickguard.

Amps

1x Music Man 2x12, 50w

1x Ampeg SVT head, 8x10 cabinet

1x red Marshall JCM800 50w head, black 1960A cabinet

Pedals

2 Boss Chromatic Tuners

2 Line 6 DL-4

2 Boss DD-5

1 EHX Big Muff USA

1 Ebow

1 ? tremolo

1 DOD 250

1 Boss SG-1

1 Zvex pedal, looked like a SHO, but red.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Here you go...

GUITARS:

Mark plays a black Fender Toronado with standard Atomic Humbucker pickups. This model is sometimes confused with a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. Even though this "low budget" guitar is manufactured in Ensenada (Mexico), it is highly praised by musicians and critics alike.

Michael is the only one in the band who plays two different instruments onstage. He was using a tobacco sunburst Washburn XB-100 with standard pickups. Now his bass is a black OLP MM2. His guitar is a beautiful blue and white Ibanez Talman (unsure of the exact model), with standard "lipstick" pickups.

Munaf is the owner of a Lake Placid blue Fender Stratocaster (unspecified model). The pickups appear to be the standard single coil type. More recently he has been playing a Fender Telecaster that appears to be Sherwood green. Both instruments have been heavily decorated with a collage of cartoon strips, miscellaneous images and graffiti.

AMPLIFIERS:

Mark plays through a Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue.

Michael uses a Peavy T-Max bass head, along with an Ampeg SVT-410AV (4x10 cabinet).

Munaf plugs into a Fender Dual Showman head with a Fender 2x12 cabinet.

EFFECTS:

Mark sheds tears with an Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff, along with a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2. He also employs a Line 6 DL-4, an Arion Stage Tuner, and finally a Boss FV-50L volume pedal.

Michael rocks with an Ibanez Tube King, as well as a Boss DD-5 and an Arion Stage Tuner. It also appears that he is now using a MXR Distortion Plus, along with a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2 and a Boss RV-3.

Munaf makes magic with an Ibanez DE-7 and a Vox V830 Distortion Booster. He also uses an Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner in addition to a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2. Recently, the guitarist has been spotted using a Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay. An E-Bow and a small metal tube (he taps on the guitar strings) are some of the special tools he uses at key moments.

PERCUSSION:

Chris is last but far from least. Apparently his seven piece dark blue Pearl drum set was purchased sometime in the early 1990's. The kit he uses consists of a snare, a single mounted tom drum, one floor tom, the bass drum, the hi-hat, one ride cymbal, and a single crash cymbal. As far as tools, he uses a pair of black brushes (unknown model & brand), a pair of mallets (unknown model & brand), various drumsticks, and a red half-moon headless tambourine (possibly a RhythmTech). It now appears that Chris has upgraded to a beautiful silver and green sparkle Fibes kit.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

all that boring guitar center crap AND a rare SG-1? are u sure?

yes. same thing w/ early Coldplay. pre-dom all Boss pedals. i think Godspeed too. Boss really is the preferred pedal of lots of post-hardcore, post-rock, guitar-based ambient & drone et cetera bands. that Gigadelay is on a lot of those bands pedal boards/chains...

• Members

i really do see a corollary. its strange how most really successful bands with actual record deals use off-the-shelf pedals. & most, well, you know, "take pictures of yr pedalboard" dudes are boutique slut pieces. now. maybe the boutique trend hasn't exactly "caught" up w/ modern rock. that case could be made. but...

• Members

my buddies and i did a 40 minute set of EITS music

Yasmin the Light

Memorial

Your Hand in Mine

First Breath After Coma

and Have You Passed Through this Night?

The band splits the guitar parts semi evenly, with the dude that sits doing more rhythm than leadish parts.

Its CLEAN, and when they get huge they just kick on a big muff

memorial he uses long delay and an E-Bow

lots of what i think is digital delay

Archived