Has anyone else recently gone into a downsizing trend?

VanLaing5150

• Members

ive gone from a full house of a board down to 2 pedals...

Ibanez DML10 and zvex fuzzfactory...

And for the past few gigs its just been the fuzzfactory... But i intend to add a superduper and a verbzilla to the arsenal... ooh and an incoming seektrem... ;)

So were back up again... hehe

• Members
Originally posted by autopilot

i think is a cyclic stage. you downsize your rig and then start adding and when you realize that your board is full again and then start again

i've gone from 9 to 7 to 4 and i think i'll be reaching the 7 again this spring.

Definitely cyclic.

Technically my gigging board is what's in my sig, but I haven't brought that out since the beginning of December; lately I've just been using 2 PS3's and a modded 16 second delay. And that's totally satisfying to me.

I just bought another PS3 and an RV5 and a Holy Grail and a Bad Monkey, but I'm totally not gonna use them. Ever. :confused:

• Members

I once had about 12 pedals on my board, not counting the TU-2 tuner.

Now I have this arrangement;

guitar > Loopmaster bypass box (feeds Boss TU-2 tuner) > Sweet Sound Mo-Faux Vibe > G2D Creamtone > Loooper bypass box (feeds Boss DM-2 delay) > amp

All boxes are powered by a Pedal Power II.

• Members

I downsized at my feet, with a midi controller, expression pedal, wah and tuner...but now I have a 6 space rack. I can justify it though because nothing is in my signal path between the guitar and amp unless i absolutely need it. Still is a pain to carry out.

• Members

I'm down to two dist. pedals and a wah... I can get so many "effects" with just this. Tremish/leslie sounds? Just wiggle your wah... phaser sounds... just slowly sweep your wah.... all kinds of different nasty lead tones... just park your wah in an interesting spot... vibrato? Bend your strings/neck... etc. etc... I can get all kinds of different distortions just with pickup selection and guitar volume.

• Members

When I played out I had about 9 pedals. Now that I am a bedroom wanker and don't play out much, I only have an RMC2 and a DMM (and tuner of course). I don't even own a pedal board. Even if I start playing out, I don't see this changing.

TW

:)

• Members

i went from like 16 to 4 or so.

now i use a Barber Direct Drive, Red Witch Moon Phaser, Catalinbread Semaphore and a DD-20

I run my Route 66 at about half. It breaks up so perfectly and if you play soft its clean. Sounds great with a little Direct Drive with the fat harmonics setting.

I am also putting a PT-80 delay built by Brian Marshall (not a production pedal) through the paces. Sounds great at live volume. I am becoming a firm believer in digital delays for use with a band. Even the analog settings on the DD-20 disapear in the mix.

what I would like to do is get another amp, a Dr Z KT-45 for my clean applications and i'm on the list for a Retroman Ubervibe that i'm really looking forward to.

I could say a realistic 'final' rig for me will be:

Tokai Love Rock into:
Retroman Ubervibe -> Clark Gainster -> A/B/Y
split to Cranked Route 66 and the other channel through

Direct Drive -> Moon Phaser -> DD-20 -> Semaphore into KT-45

Both amps will run through my stereo 4x10.

It covers alot of ground and its still relatively simple and managable.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

I'm down to two dist. pedals and a wah... I can get so many "effects" with just this. Tremish/leslie sounds? Just wiggle your wah... phaser sounds... just slowly sweep your wah.... all kinds of different nasty lead tones... just park your wah in an interesting spot... vibrato? Bend your strings/neck... etc. etc... I can get all kinds of different distortions just with pickup selection and guitar volume.

what kind of wah do you have? Though i don't have one at the moment i used to use mine in a similar manner. you can do alot of damage with just a good wah.

• Members

I'm about to do my second downsizing in the last 3 months. I went from 10 pedals (excluding tuner) to 6 and will now go down to 3:

Maxon Compressor - Diamond Memory Lane - Monkey FX ABY

I run 2 amps, a Matamp 1224 combo which is about 30 watts (clean) which is single channel with a boost circuit which I run mildly dirty and a Matamp C7 deluxe which is about 7 watts (clean) which is non-master volume and I crank hard for overdrive. I find this works very well for me as it's like having a second channel on the 1224 but I can layer the two amps which sounds amazing.

I only use the 1 guitar - Gibson Nighthawk.

I think that's as downsized as I can possibly go save only using one amp as delay is essential for me and with that I need the compressor so yeah!

Archived