Has anyone else recently gone into a downsizing trend?

VanLaing5150

• Members

It seems like a lot of the players that I hang out with have really gone into the minimalist thinking lately. One of my buddys went from using 2 boards worth of pedals, to one with about 4 pedals on it. I myself went from a board with 13 pedals on it to now I think I've got it down to about 5. It seems like the older I get the more I want to do away with anything I need 100 percent of the time. I've done the huge setup and the minimalist setup both work and both are cool but I just wanted to know what others have been doing lately.

• Members

Yep - me too

Downsizing seems to happen when a player finds his style and focuses. I think that a lot of guys that have been active in forums are starting to really mature as players.. and that's part of the recent downsizing trend

Think about it... now you can be a top notch player with awesome gear and live on an isolated farm in Nebraska.. 10 years ago you had to be in a major city to achieve that kind of sound. THe internet has changed everything cuz you come into contact with real pros and get great advice even if you're not in a major metro area.

• Members

i use a pedaltrain pro pedal board

its a decent sized booard though not even half the size of some of the board pix on the forum

my take on it is....if it can't fit on the pedaltrian then i woun't haul it around

unfortunately i use a boomerang phrase sampler that takes up 1/4 of the board

so this year I hope to pony up for the digital echoplex (rackmountable) and save a little room for fun modulation toys

• Members

Mine at the start of the year:

71674051_aa5240b3cd.jpg

Mine at the end of the year:

71668771_ec9a00b1cc.jpg

Teese Picture wah>Korg DT10 (strobostomp didn't work powered off the Powerall, sadly)>Loooper with A/B a) Keeley RAT b) Keeley BD2 > Keeley Compressor > Semaphore Tremolo > Boss PS5 + EV5 > Boss DD20.
Powered by Powerall on CNB board with Geogre L's.

Much smaller, much cheaper. No ZIM, no Infinitphase, no Big Cheese or fuzz factory, no TS, no flanger, no massive flight case. The only thing I feel it's missing is a vibe, phaser or rotary speaker type sound squeezed in there.

• Members

I haven't been down sizing...but I've started modding some of my cheaper/older pedals like my Crybaby and Phase 90- kicking my Fulltone Clyde off the board and a newer phase 90 off aswell. I also have been building boost pedals, so I also retired my Fatboost. It's FUN!!!!

• Members

i tried, but ended up with the same amount of pedals.

granted the sound is more focused now.

dropped:
sib mr echo
fuzz factory
frantone vibutron
fulltone 69
Carl Martin Rock Drive

Added:
MI Audio tube zone custom
dd20
fulltone choralflange
AM bi-comp

and im back on the hunt for a trem.

• Members

Depends on how you look at it, really.

I rarely sell any of my gear, unless I hate it, or if it was expensive and I just need the money. (Both rare occurances.)

That being said, I don't put everything I own into my pedalboard. I just put what I need for whatever I'm working on.

But the other stuff I don't sell, because it's stuff I like.

The way I look at it is that all of my collective gear... Well, it costs a hell of a lot less than most other people's single guitar, or simple amp. :thu:

For example, my favorite guitar is an Ibanez RG570, and my amp is a Traynor YCV50Blue which I bought used.. The only valuable pedals I own are an E13 Never Drive, and a Skreddy Zero. The rest are boss/digitech/ibanez pedals which I got for under 50 dollars a piece.

Maybe I've just been a minimalist right from the start. :confused:

• Members

Not a major downsizing but took 2 pedals off. A looper, as I don't need it anymore. Had someone change the switch to a treu-bypass and bought a Strobostomp.
Besides that one, I removed my Fulldrive 2 from the board. Easier, switch-friendlier and lighter.

• Members

I've always been minimalist but even I'm down-sizing as much possible. I want to have no more than 5 pedals (not including tuner) but less would be fine (ie. three), one amp, and currently I only have one guitar, but I'd love a nice tele too.

• Members

Sorta. I had around 6 or 7, and I went up to about 12 or 13, and I'm know back to about 6 or 7. There's four pedals that make up the core of my sound. I'll probably add 1 or 2 or maybe 3 more pedals, but when I do, I"ll probably wind up selling that same amount. I've probably hit about the magic number for myself, atleast for this point in time.

• Members

I've had minimalist thoughts, lately, about microphones. For instance, with multiple mic use, I've chosen large diaphragm condenser mics for overheads because they are better than small diaphragm condensers at capturing the bleed from anything that's not close mic'd like hihats and toms. This eliminates the need for close miking each piece of a drum kit. FWIW, I would choose the AKG C414B XLII factory matched stereo pair for this application. I've worked with just one of them before and I cannot get over how great it sounds. It's fantastic for vocals and acoustic. I'm thinking another mic that would be great to have is the SE Electronics Gemini... probably for more extreme things like rock vocals or rapping. Haha. If I had those three microphones, an SM57, and the kick mic that I already have, I can't imagine wanting any other mics. It makes me happy!

• Members

I've never had a "large" board just because money is a big issue. However, I used to gaze as having a 2 tier pedalboar w/ a ton of pedals. Lately though, I've just wanted a smaller pedalboard that can get me through the basics and still add some color. I'm still adding pedals but in the end I'll end up with:

Fulltone FDII
Fulltone '69
Wizard Wah
EB VP (TU-2 out)
Neovibe
Kaden Fluttertone Trem

Its simple yet versatile; all effects work for BOTH my band (Crowes influenced) and the church-band. A hint of color but nothing distracting from my main tone. (Sheraton-->'79 JMP)

• Members

I too, i have this thing now, i ditched the board and i either plug in direct to the amp.. use what i need (i also sold 2 other amps i had and a few cheap guitars), or i use up to 3 stomps on the ground (no board) and from time to time i switch on of the pedals with another.
my current 3: deamon wah > RAT2 > BOSS DD3 > Classic 30

for my mesa i use the wha/chorus/DD3

Archived