Best Phaser Pedal out there today!

tmd187

• Members

I want to hear from you what the best Phaser pedal is, for playing Phish, Grateful Dead, and they the man himself, EVH! Is it the MXR EVH Phase 90, or does Maxon make those 9 series better, and we can't leave out Boss or Ibanez, and especially all those small, independent, but amazing little guy shops that but out some of the best stuff ever!!!

Please feel phree to rant about your favorite:

Phaser, Flanger, Tremolo, Chorus, Delay! I want to hear you, I know it's late in some parts of the country, but you West Coaster's, lay it out for me! I need your advice!

• Members

EVH phaser

The maxon is nice too... I'm sure there are good boutique makers but the EVH keeps me plenty happy.

Sounds good with high gain.. humbuckers, single coils, mid gain, open back combos, 4x12s.., clean channel, efx loop, signal chain,.. You name it the EVH covers it.

• Members

Originally posted by justOKplayer

+1 for EVH PH8Z 90

Help me out on the EVH PH8Z 90, I don't understand what the 8Z is, oh, it's early morning in the NE, Phase=PH8Z, I am a f'in idiot. Thanks, that's what I was probably going to go with! $99 at:

www.americanmusical.com

A.K.A. American Musical Supply, That's a great Deal on one of these pups! Thanks for the input! Now, is there anyway to True Bypass these pedals?

• Members

I owned a Red Witch Moon Phaser, I thought it was very pretty sounding but with all the (four) knobs and setteing available, I wasn't able to get it to be intense enough, so I sold it.

The MXR EVH is definitly intense enough but with just a speed knob, and a mode toggle, I found it too intense and not versatile enough.

I wound up going back to using the phase function on my Boss GT-3. I can control all the perameters better and turn the delay on and off with the same switch.

• Members

i have built a phase 90 clone from bultyourownclone, it dumped my ibanez PM-7 from the board. i didn't need the versatilty of the pm-7 just nice sweet phaser sound.

there is now a fully loaded phaser kit available, which is bigger and has more options and mods... would be a good choice IMHO

• Members

I picked up a Washburn Bad Dog phaser last night at Media Play for $19. It's not a bad phaser. Three knobs - speed, depth and regeneration, so you can tune in some cool sounds. The build quality is surprisingly good - metal case, real panel mounted pots (not trimmers with shafts), and case mounted jacks. Typical electronic bypass switching. Real (not SMT) parts, so it may be a good platform for mods and/or a re-house.

It's kind of fugly, and HEAVY, but it sounds decent. They also had a few chorus pedals, flangers, and a few distortions. I may try next week (when prices go down even more) to see if they have any chorus pedals left. I don't really need another chorus, but is I can get one for $10, whi cares???

• Members

Originally posted by Richard Guy

Brian Marshall has a very nice Phaser. It's called the Quasar.

+ 1 super clean -- wonderful for subtle nuanced stuff -- and has the great feedback feature that'll get you in auto-wah territory.

for a warmer script Phase 90 sound that's even better than a script Phase 90, good deals can be had on Mu-tron Phasors on ebay

• Members
Originally posted by t_e_l_e

i have built a phase 90 clone from bultyourownclone, it dumped my ibanez PM-7 from the board. i didn't need the versatilty of the pm-7 just nice sweet phaser sound.

there is now a fully loaded phaser kit available, which is bigger and has more options and mods... would be a good choice IMHO

Give you $20 to ship that PM-7 to me:D

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

Give you $20 to ship that PM-7 to me:D

hehe, no way, i found out i need a "second board" for playing at home, cause the efx on the line6 spider 2/15 are not so great and tweakable as the stompboxes, so i have still need for it :D

• Members

I'm here to testify!

Phasers will suck you in, spin you around, and leave you wanting more, More, MORE!

There is no "best" phaser, just the next one.

The only phaser that I didn't like, out of the twelve I have owned, was the Digitech Hyper Phase and that had a couple cool settings.

My advice? Go analog. Have at least speed AND depth controls. Try them all.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by tmd187

Now, is there anyway to True Bypass these pedals?

Yes, the same way as with the reissue MXR's - you have to cut out a section in the pcb to make room for a 3PDT switch, cut the trace from input jack to circuit input, and fly wires between the switch and all connection points (main input and output, circuit input and output, LED etc). It's not an easy job at all, and you may or may not have room for a battery after you're done (the standard blue 3PDT is a mm or two bigger than the stock switch, which limits the room for the battery).

I'd consider running the pedal as is, making sure to keep an active/Boss-type pedal in front of it, to help the signal through the stock bypass system. Another option would be to order a Phase 90 kit from buildyourownclone, as it is TB from the get-go.

Oh, and a tip: if you use the tag in you sig all the text in the sig will be a tad smaller, making it far easier to distinguish from what you're writing in your post. As is, it can be quite hard to tell what's what, causing people (me, at least) to ignore your posts completely. Just place a (size=1) tag first, and a (/size) tag at the end (replacing the () for [], obviously).

/Andreas

• Members

Originally posted by andreas

Oh, and a tip: if you use the
tag in you sig
all the text in the sig will be a tad smaller, making it far easier to distinguish from what you're writing in your post.
As is, it can be quite hard to tell what's what, causing people (me, at least) to ignore your posts completely. Just place a (size=1) tag first, and a (/size) tag at the end (replacing the () for [], obviously).

/Andreas

yep,.. the sig is way too long and big!.. another tip is to write your board in line.. that way you save place, too. and if anyone is interested in it, he/she will read it.

Archived