List all the modern polyphonic analog synths

idiotboy

• Members

Originally posted by rpieket

Only the oscillators are polyphonic. The envelopes, filters and all are not. So all four oscillators are fed into a single VCF/VCA/whatever.

It's a modular. You can order whatever modules you desire. You want a four voice polyphonic, you can order four VCOs, two EGs/VCAs (they're quad, remember?), four VCFs.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

It's a modular. You can order whatever modules you desire. You want a four voice polyphonic, you can order four VCOs, two EGs/VCAs (they're quad, remember?), four VCFs.

yeah well.. that could be said for just about any modular out there.. spend {censored}load of money, buy multiples of all modules and get a poly-cv converter like expressionist.

still, i think that does not qualify as "polyphonic" per se.

Omega8 and CODE are the same. new filters, new OS. ext input to filter. they are sorta like virus B and C.

• Members

So, factoring out the Buchla, there are currently six polyphonic analog synths to choose from.

And of those six, only the Andromeda, Sunsyn and Omega/CODE are directly capable of 8 or more voices, right?

And of those three, the Sunsyn and Omega are known to be (or have been) more than a little buggy.

Have you hugged your Andromeda today?

;)

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by mwalthius

Does anyone besides me think that this puppy is one ugly-looking synth? Ditto re: the Ion and Fusion. Ugh.

I think that the Fusion is ugly. But the Ion is pure buity. It is very small. I can put it anyware.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by idiotboy

1. Andromeda

2. Jomox Sunsyn

3. Studio Electronics Omega/CODE

4. DSI Polyevolver

5. Analogue Solutions 4-Voice SEMBlance

6. Vermona PerFourMer

7. Buchla 200e (sort of)

Do you guys know where these synths are made and or engineered? What countries? I was under the impression that many of the high end analog synths were made outside the USA. Am I wrong about that?

• Members

Originally posted by rockfan

I wonder if the A6 and DSI Poly are made with the same durability that the Minimoog D was? And, will they be classics like the D?

Durability....time will tell. I for one don't care whether or not someone else considers my gear to be "classic" or not. I'm not a museum curator.

• Members

1. Andromeda

2. Jomox Sunsyn

3. Studio Electronics Omega/CODE

4. DSI Polyevolver

5. Analogue Solutions 4-Voice SEMBlance

6. Vermona PerFourMer

7. Buchla 200e (sort of)

8. MFB POLYLITE

Why are you asking? Do you like analog more than digital? :evil:

French_Poster.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by P321

I agree about the Fusion. Definitely an aquired taste. I think they're all done by Axel Hartmann, perhaps best known for the worlds most expensive Pentium 3 based loop player, the Hartmann Neuron. But $5,000 boxes for Prosoniq loop manglers (not that good of a one either) isn't all he designs. He's also designed some recent stuff for Korg, did the Virus for Access I think, some stuff for EMU, and did most (all?) of the Waldorf products, and most recently the Moog Little Phatty.

I think the Andromeda layout is very nicely done actually, although I can see why some people would think it ugly next to something like a Jupiter 8, if that was their idea of "beautiful". Antares Kantos is about the ugliest thing I've seen from him
www.design-box.de/de/sd_antares-kantos.php

Your comments about about the Neuron show that you know very little about it. Btw, Axel Hartmann was also involved with the design of the Waldorf Q (and I think possibly some other Waldorf synths. Can't recall which right now).

• Members

awesome poster!

And yes, I like analog better than digital.

But, I like digital too.

;)

Tnx idiotboy! :)

You can add MFB Polylite to your list, its 4-voice polyphonic analog synth.

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikelektronik/MFB-POLYLITE/PolyLITE/polylite.html

http://www.sequencer.de/syns/mfb/PolyLite.html

http://infantnoise.com/store/MFB-PolyLite.html

--RPdigital

Guest Anonymous

I remember when the Neuron came out. It really never gained the same attention as the ION. It seemed to fade away. It was touted as being really good. Maybe it was hampered my the realease of the Ion at about the same time period.

• Members

They were introduced at the same time, but I can't imagine anyone overlooking one for the other.

The Neuron was expensive, which naturally limits its market exposure, and was based on a new synthesis paradigm that further reduced it's exposure.

The Ion was just another VA synth. Frankly, I still don't get the appeal of the Ion, but to each, his own.

Guest Anonymous

They were introduced at the same time, but I can't imagine anyone overlooking one for the other.

The Neuron was expensive, which naturally limits its market exposure, and was based on a new synthesis paradigm that further reduced it's exposure.

The Ion was just another VA synth. Frankly, I still don't get the appeal of the Ion, but to each, his own.

I think it might have been the people marketing/"sellling" it, the exposure it got, and the price/cost. The Ion got tons of press when it first came out. I even went to Sam Ash to see Craig Anderton demo it. He did a pretty good job too.

my 2 cents.

• Members

Originally posted by droolmaster0

Your comments about about the Neuron show that you know very little about it.

In your opinion. Here's a snippet of Gordon Reids review from SOS (You know, writer of the Synth Secrets series, and the guy who usually slaps VST's for being bad emulations of the real deal)

Gordon Reid

The next patch, was based upon a drum loop and sounds like... a treated drum loop. You may be tempted to think that it's the Neuron itself creating the rhythmic patch, but it's not; it's merely using the rhythmic model of an existing sample.

After a few days of experimentation, I was becoming discouraged. Many of the Sounds were of high quality, but the interest was coming from the effects, not from the unaffected Resynators. I would happily have used some of these sounds, although there was little to tempt me to replace my Korg Trinity or Triton, or indeed to give a Yamaha Motif or Roland V-Synth a run for its money. Where were the towering spires of sound, the ephemeral tinkling, and the celestial beehive that I had been promised? To be fair, the ability to choose inappropriate parameters in Modelmaker later opened the door to a great deal of experimentation, but the results were still not as diverse or radical as I had expected.

www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug03/articles/hartmannneuron.htm
for the full review..

I can only say I agree wholeheartedly with what he wrote. But then he got a free review, and I got the 150 euro deal from Thomann when they were pushing the software version out. So my opinion of the Neuron is not based on one where I have to justify a big price tag or look like a complete dumbass for paying $5,000 for it otherwise.

I found out it wasn't even worth 150 euros to me. Buggy piece of crap, and you can mangle a sample with far more varied and statisfying results in Reaktor. If you find it utterly satisfying that's fantastic, just spare me the childish "you know nothing" jibes. You don't know what I do or don't know, and acting like you do just makes you come across as unpleasant amongst other things. If you have a different opinion great. Just realize there's at least 2 people in the world who take a somewhat different view, and doing so doesn't mean they're "wrong" or "know very little" compared to your oh-so-fabulous knowledge, ok?

Archived