List all the modern polyphonic analog synths

idiotboy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm confused by the Buchla. I can't see where it has digital oscillators. Mook, can you enlighten me?

In any case, I should have been more specific with my original post, because the spirit of the list was meant to be non-modular.

So, I'm leaving the Buchla and the Technosaurus off the list. Of course I'd love to own either one.... ;)

• Members
Originally posted by idiotboy

I'm confused by the Buchla. I can't see where it has digital oscillators. Mook, can you enlighten me?

I can't see where it has analog oscillators! ;)

It's in their FAQ's You refer to the 200e an an analog system. But your oscillators use digital techniques. What gives? here ...

http://www.buchla.com/200e/200e_faq.html

I asked earlier which oscillators are analog...I don't know...much of it is very confusing and I can't afford one to try it out! ;)

From the SOS review of the 259e Complex Wave Generator:

Although the only waveform generated by the Principal is a digitally generated sine wave

I think this sums up it up well...

despite misleading marketing that describes it as employing 'straight analogue synthesis', the 200e is not a pure analogue synth. But it's not purely digital either, nor is it what we would normally describe as 'digitally controlled-analogue'. It's a hybrid, but not in the same way as other hybrid analogue/digital synths. Confused? I don't blame you

To which Mr Buchla replied...

As far as I'm concerned, the system is generally analogue. The controls are almost all functionally dedicated and interconnections are analogue; the 200e simply behaves as an analogue synth.

...so I think you can include VA's in your list! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by syncretism

The 259e module is entirely digital. The 261e is either totally analogue or a hybrid {Buchla's site says that "all of the timbre processing is performed by analog circuitry"}.

Cheers! :)

Four of them (and nowt else) or an Oasys...makes the Oasys look cheap! :thu:

• Members

My Blacet/Wiard/Bananalogue modular is (well nearly,) 4 voice poly. Building the 4th oscillator now, and just about to order 4 additional MOTM Looping ADSRs. Can't wait to play some chords on it. If I trimmed out some of the specialty modules in my setup, I would be willing to bet that a basic 4 voice (full poly) version of my setup would cost less than the equivalent Studio Electronics synth. Not saying this is the way to go for most people, but it's definitely different, fun, an powerful/flexible.

Anyway, not sure if it was already mentioned, but there is an Analogue Solutions SEMblance that is 4 voices. I would really like to hear one of these. (or even the mono version for that matter)

Archived