The Cure Uses Flanger A Lot

GuyaGuy

• Members

Originally posted by iodine74

I've read that Perry uses a ce-5 and robert uses a ch-1. I think on the bloodflowers tour Robert said they were using the build in chorus on the flextones... leaving it on the whole time.

yeah that sounds familiar about the chorus non-stop.

i just tried out the BF-2 and it DOES indeed get a bit harsh--in a good way. reminds me of, well, the Cure.

and my Ibanez FLL. both are nice flangers which are generally fairly neutral (i.e. neither super warm nor ice old) but can get that harsh metallic sound. but the FLL gets REALLY crazy but its trimpots have been tweaked. anyone try this on the BF-2?

• Members

I'm sure I read somewhere that he cared more about how his guitars looked than how they sounded.

The cure to me are way more about good song writing rather than good guitar sounds.

I'd say Robert Smith is probably just using a POD or something for his sound now days. I know your asking about 1981 so I'd say whatever was new back then he would have been using that.

• Members

Originally posted by spoonie g

sounds different to me. The bf-1 sounds much deeper and more complex.

Yeah, but they used different settings for their BF-3 samples. I've owned the BF-2 and I currently own the BF-3, and both can get those BF-1 sounds if you set them right. That's one thing about these Boss Flangers -- they have a hundred different sounds in them, and it takes some time to find the sweet spots. There are certainly some bad sounds to be had as well. A little knob nudging goes a long way on these things.

• Members

Originally posted by Uma Floresta

Yeah, but they used different settings for their BF-3 samples. I've owned the BF-2 and I currently own the BF-3, and both can get those BF-1 sounds if you set them right. That's one thing about these Boss Flangers -- they have a hundred different sounds in them, and it takes some time to find the sweet spots. There are certainly some bad sounds to be had as well. A little knob nudging goes a long way on these things.

So they just used all of the inferior sounding settings on the bf-3, huh?

• Members

Originally posted by spoonie g

So they just used all of the inferior sounding settings on the bf-3, huh?

Well, some of the more extreme settings. Try this as an experiment. Next time you're at a guitar store, try out the BF-3. Crank the manual all the way up, set the Res to about 9:00, and then put the depth anywhere from 1:00 to 3:00 and the rate anywhere from 10:00 to 2:00. Mess around with the rate and depth within those perameters and you'll see what I mean. Also, make sure it's on normal mode, not ultra or pan.

I think in those samples they were trying to show off the stereo and extreme offects of the BF-3 more than anything else. Not to mention the only regular mode settings that they have available on guitar are two similar-sounding distorted samples... everything else is either keyboards or Ultra mode. Think of the BF-1 as a BF-3 stuck on regular mode ... obviously they were going to show a wider variety of "regular mode" tones for the BF-1. They really only demonstrated one "regular mode" guitar setting for the BF-3. Just try one out, you'll hear what I'm talking about.

• Members

Well, some of the more extreme settings. Try this as an experiment. Next time you're at a guitar store, try out the BF-3. Crank the manual all the way up, set the Res to about 9:00, and then put the depth anywhere from 1:00 to 3:00 and the rate anywhere from 10:00 to 2:00. Mess around with the rate and depth within those perameters and you'll see what I mean. Also, make sure it's on normal mode, not ultra or pan.

I think in those samples they were trying to show off the stereo and extreme offects of the BF-3 more than anything else. Not to mention the only regular mode settings that they have available on guitar are two similar-sounding distorted samples... everything else is either keyboards or Ultra mode. Think of the BF-1 as a BF-3 stuck on regular mode ... obviously they were going to show a wider variety of "regular mode" tones for the BF-1. They really only demonstrated one "regular mode" guitar setting for the BF-3. Just try one out, you'll hear what I'm talking about.

well, I have a bf-2.

• Members

Hmm... well, I guess I don't hear what you're talking about as far as the BF-1 being very different. I can get those kinds of sounds via the settings I mentioned. I don't know, maybe I'm going deaf.

Yeah. I'm done pissing anyways.

The Bf-1 sounds like it get's into quasi total-zero territory where I don't hear that as much in the bf-2.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

judging by clips i've heard of the 1 vs. playing/hearing the 2, i'd say that the 1 has more harmonic overtones, giving it a more 3 dimensional character.

I don't know, I still think those BF-1 sounds are totally attainable with both the BF-2 and 3... just my opinion.

Archived