The Cure Uses Flanger A Lot

GuyaGuy

• Members

so does anyone know which pedal mr. smith used in the early days?

to be more specific, i'm listening to FAITH. to be REALLY specific, "holy hour" and "primary." i know he's used almost all BOSS for quite a while but what did he have back in '81? sounds a bit harsher than the BF-2 to me.

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

dunno specifics, but i know he used and still uses a boss BF-2 often.

yeah i know he's assoiated w/ it but didn't know if he used it then too. maybe it's just a setting that's harsher than most people use but the long flange on "primary" isn't as soft as the BF-2 as i remember it.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

to be more specific, i'm listening to FAITH. to be REALLY specific, "holy hour" and "primary." i know he's used almost all BOSS for quite a while but what did he have back in '81? sounds a bit harsher than the BF-2 to me.

I don't know, the BF-2 can get harsh... I love that album by the way. My three favorite Cure albums are Boys Don't Cry (or Three Imaginary Boys, depending on which side of the pond you're on), Faith and 17 Seconds.

• Members

Originally posted by Uma Floresta

I don't know, the BF-2 can get harsh... I love that album by the way.

really? well, i just remembered that my friend has his BF-2 in my studio right now so i'll have to check it out in a sec.!

Originally posted by Uma Floresta

My three favorite Cure albums are Boys Don't Cry (or Three Imaginary Boys, depending on which side of the pond you're on), Faith and 17 Seconds.

good albums. i do think that their later stuff like disentegration isjust as good if not better. yes, slicker and maybe poppier but that simply adds to the charm imo. :)

• Members

really? well, i just remembered that my friend has his BF-2 in my studio right now so i'll have to check it out in a sec.!

good albums. i do think that their later stuff like disentegration isjust as good if not better. yes, slicker and maybe poppier but that simply adds to the charm imo.
:)

Oh yeah, I do like their later stuff like Disintegration, Wish, and even parts of Kiss Me.... but there's something about those early albums that just fascinates me.

• Members

He mostly used Boss pedals I believe...and Peavey chorus amps.

So whatever model Boss Flanger was around in the mid to late 80's...that's the one.

• Members

sounds like it was a BF-2 then.

it's one of those sounds that most players shy away form because it IS kinda harsh and metallic. most guys want lush and organic but smith knew how to work it cold-style.

funny though. everyone just assumes that anything warmer and more organic is intrinsically better. but, if you listen to early Cure or Joy Division or Neu!, you can see how cold metallic sounds can be just as effective.

• Members

sounds like it was a BF-2 then.

it's one of those sounds that most players shy away form because it IS kinda harsh and metallic. most guys want lush and organic but smith knew how to work it cold-style.

funny though. everyone just assumes that anything warmer and more organic is intrinsically better. but, if you listen to early Cure or Joy Division or Neu!, you can see how cold metallic sounds can be just as effective.

Too true -- somehow it just fit the mood of their songs

• Members

ATTENTION BRITISH ENGLISH SPEAKERS!

(here's a joke for you...)

USUALLY A FLANGE MAKES MY RED LIPSTICK STAND OUT!!

I'm English but I've been out of the country for ten years. Would you care to elaborate?

Does this have anything in common with my wife (the dog trainer) referring to "look out, puppy lipstick!", as in; "don't get the pink bit on you"?

• Members

Originally posted by alex_law

I'm English but I've been out of the country for ten years. Would you care to elaborate?

Does this have anything in common with my wife (the dog trainer) referring to "look out, puppy lipstick!", as in; "don't get the pink bit on you"?

hey, what you and the missus get up to in yr spare time is yr own business...

;)

(hint: apparently "flange" isn't just a pedal in the UK but you CAN turn it on. nudge-nudge wink-wink.)

• Members

hey, what you and the missus get up to in yr spare time is yr own business...

;)

(hint: apparently "flange" isn't just a pedal in the UK but you CAN turn it on. nudge-nudge wink-wink.)

*snort*

OK, beer via the sinuses stings. You bastard.

• Members

I've read that Perry uses a ce-5 and robert uses a ch-1. I think on the bloodflowers tour Robert said they were using the build in chorus on the flextones... leaving it on the whole time.

That kinda makes sense to me. Every time I've tried for their really lush sound (Wish has my favorite tones), it always helped to have chorus last... or at least after the flange.. and I'd set my flange subltely.

No doubt some of the early tones aren't the warmest in the world, but from Wish onward up to (but not including Bloodflowers) things just seemed super warm. I don't know if that was cause they had started using Voxes or what.

Archived