DOD - As good as I remember?

RaVenCAD

• Members

Back in the day, I had a buttload of DOD pedals. FX-65, FX-75, FX-80, FX-40B, FX-90, digital delays, about 8 distortion pedals, FX-35 octave pedal, etc.. All velcro'd to a 6' long 1x12 I painstakingly finished with Minwax and added staggered rubber feet to so it would have a nice angle to it... On one end of the board was my Crybaby, which I still have, and the other was a Morley volume pedal.. I had a good time with those pedals back then, but I'm wondering just how good they really were. I like to think my taste in tone has matured a bit in the last 10 years and I'm wondering if those pedals really were good or just a teenage cheese fest.. Opinions on DOD pedals? Is it worth the trouble and cost of buying back all the old pedals or are there better options out today?

I'm out of touch when it comes to effects guys. Can ya tell? lol

• Members

I use a DOD Milkbox compressor, and I think it's fine. I can't speak for the others, though. I don't think DOD stuff is bad, per se, but it's definately entry level. For a bit more money better stuff can be had.

• Members

i have a fx90(delay), fx35(octave), and a fx51(juice box). i think i paid 100 dollars total for them. they all sound good to me, and for that price, you cant beat them. i think their line was like any other mass produced line....some great, and some that arent any good. just dont base you opinion on an entire brand if youve only played their grunge pedal, or their metal zone, or sitar swammi.....

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

don't worry, i've played plenty of DOD effects. back in high school they were the only pedals my friends and i could afford.

i still say, NO THANKS!

nah endo, it wasnt directed towards you. i just used the grunge as an example, because it truly is a bad pedal:D

• Members

I just picked up a juice box (fx-51) at a guitar store in Moline, Illinois new for $25 :eek: (How long has that been sitting there?). Anyway, it's not bad considering the price. I admit to buying it mostly because I was kind of surprised that it was there new but I think I'm going to keep it around for at home practicing.

• Members

It's my opinion that DOD does the modulation and delay side of the table well, but lacks in the distortion side, although the 250 is still a very good drive. It's not that the distortion is bad, "per se", it's just that there's so much better stuff for about the same price in other places.

• Members

I recall playing a friend's Thrash Master (or Super American Metal?) pedal (through a KMD mini stack) back in high school and thinking that it was decent. Since the point, I have owned a Vibrothang, Buzz Box, Meat Box, Classic Fuzz, Original "Butt/Face" Grunge, and Punkifier. The Punkifier is the only pedal that is still on my board, but I have often considered getting another Classic Fuzz.

• Members

i actualy like DOD pedals, not all of them, but some of them are great for price. IMO, DOD pedal are more interesting and inovative than Boss pedals. you can find some really weird stuff.
i currently use fx-100 and it is great OD pedal for little money. same with juice box and 250. other nice cheap pedals are classic fuzz, analog and digital delays, bi-fet preamp. and not to forget wierd stuff like buzz box, gonkulator ect. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

Back in the day, I had a buttload of DOD pedals. FX-65, FX-75, FX-80, FX-40B, FX-90, digital delays, about 8 distortion pedals, FX-35 octave pedal, etc.. All velcro'd to a 6' long 1x12 I painstakingly finished with Minwax and added staggered rubber feet to so it would have a nice angle to it... On one end of the board was my Crybaby, which I still have, and the other was a Morley volume pedal.. I had a good time with those pedals back then, but I'm wondering just how good they really were. I like to think my taste in tone has matured a bit in the last 10 years and I'm wondering if those pedals really were good or just a teenage cheese fest.. Opinions on DOD pedals? Is it worth the trouble and cost of buying back all the old pedals or are there better options out today?

I'm out of touch when it comes to effects guys. Can ya tell? lol

well, you've mentioned some really good ones there. the FX-90 is a great analog delay--dark and does really ominous self oscialltion. and the FX-75 flanger is pretty sweet.

some things to remember:

1. the switches aren't switches but tactile buttons which can be a pain.

2. DOD now is different than DOD then. DOD has an ever shrinking line and their pedals really aren't what they used to be. they still have some good'uns but for the most part they lack in tone and versatility.

3. every brand has duds. some are just duddier than others.

• Members

I just picked up a Supra Distortion to mod. I figure it's a great platform for that since they're unpopular and plentiful. This is the FX55C, yes they've revised it yet a second time! The footswitch and especially the battery door are definitely improved over the older pedals which had the allen screws in the switch. Upon trying it, it's not a terrible pedal by any means. A bit blah, but also lets through substantial amounts of the guitar tone. If you don't mind that every sound on it is brighter than what went in, it could be good for you.

My old Super American Metal is an eccentric beast. I started using it as something to completely munge my sound, but found it also a great lead pedal (lead-er-izer ;) ). It both distorts and filters the crap out of the signal, you can even DI it without sawing your ears off.

Now it's the new Digitech analog lineup I'm not sure about. Death Metal = Bad Monkey = Hot Head except all with differing overwhelming filters and gain range. But then you could say that about DODs ...

Conclusion? It varies, you know what they say about "assume".

• Members
Originally posted by autopilot

there are some hit and miss, but the old DOD (mxr like), the performer seriee and the 6xx seried are very good.....

:thu:

dodcollection002.jpg

my 280 comp, fx10 bifet & fx50 od didnt make the photo shoot, but they really should have, along with the other 460 & 201.

they've had plenty of terrible pedals, or just plain mediocre ones, but their good ones are generally very good, sometimes even better than that.

the fx65 i thought was an ok chorus, but the fx60 is a great, great chorus imho (i'd take it over a gold-screw ce-2 anyday).

the fx52 is a perennial fav around here, and with good reason.

Archived