Oh God....I'm an idiot.

I Am Chris

• Members

So i'm putting my pedalboard. Cables cut, everything stuck down, the pp2 is in a VERY tight spot. If you were to pull it out, everything would come unplugged, and all the power chord are snaked together, thus it would be chaos.

Get to the very end. It's looking good. My dl4 won't come on, my signal is very very faint. I spend forever checking everything out. I rip the entire thing apart, including my beautiful and tidy wiring job.......only to find out i have it plugged in the stereos.

You know you have a problem when you skip class to put your pedalboard together....and that's what i'm doing.

• Members
Originally posted by hope is here!

hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

I hate when I have no signal, check everything, I mean everything, spend freakin forever seaching for the problem and all I had to do was turn my guitar volume up
:mad:

I've done the same except my guitar wasn't plugged in.

Originally posted by hope is here!

hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

I hate when I have no signal, check everything, I mean everything, spend freakin forever seaching for the problem and all I had to do was turn my guitar volume up
:mad:

Near-daily occurence in my world:

Guitarist - hey man, can you turn me back on?

Me - (checking board - nope, he's not muted) uh, did you turn your volume down?

Guitarist - uh, no (while checking knob) oh, uh, yeah, that's it. Sorry. :D

I always check the simple stuff first... then if there's still a problem, I'll take the step by step / systematic approach - starting at one end of the chain and working my way to the other end until I find the problem(s). That comes from years of dealing with situations like the one you described. :o;)

The one that has "got" me more often than I care to admit is failing to thread the outside of the plug on to the cable before soldering the plug on. :o I hate that. :mad::(

• Members

WHOA! more problems!

basically took it all off. checked it all out. everything was fine. so i put it all back together.

my signal is STILL really really weak (i can hear my guitar, but barely. effects can be heard too, but it's at a ridiculously low volume), and now my loopstation won't come on. it's at the end of the chain. it was working at first.

am i overloading my pp2? i've got a tu-2, fulldrive 2, supa trem, holy grail, dl4, and loopstation running off of it.

tu-2 and supa trem in 1 and 2. fulldrive in 3 with the DIP flipped. dl4 in 5 (yes, with the DIP switched) loopstation in 6. holy grail in the back ac.

dl4 was in 6 and loopstation was in 5 and the dl4 wouldn't turn on. the dl4 is now in 5 and the loopstation is in 6, and the loopstation won't turn on. the 6th output is working because i had it setup the other day identically and it worked fine. the only thing i'm doing differently is using george l's, but that wouldn't explain the problem.

what is going on!

and no, this isn't the board i was making to sell. that board is really close to being done, but i'm not going to wire that board until i get my memory lane and MuRF, which will be a little while. this one is homemade. nothing fancy, but works (ehhh, not yet i guess).

• Members

Dude one night at a gig we were doing a sound check, I looked back at my amp, Boogie Mark IV at the time, (that very day I had changed out a volume pot that the shaft had been broken off during transport from a previous gig) and didn't think I saw the proper lights lit for power. I used my powered screwdriver and had the amp out of the cab in a few seconds and was looking at it on the stage with my flashlight for the problem. My bandmates were looking at me like WTF?? We are playing in 15 minutes.

The thing was working perfectly. I was freaking out because the volume pot I had previously replaced was turned all the way down. The fact I had replaced the pot earlier without fully testing it was why I was freaking out.

I realized I was an idiot, put my amp back together and was ready to go in about 10 minutes. What a dumbass!!

Chris, start at the beginning. Pull everything off the power supply except the first pedal in the chain. Test that. Works? Great... add the next one. And so on. Eventually you'll find the problem. If you think it's at the end of the chain, start in the middle and once you get a working signal path at the mid point, keep adding to it until you find the culprits.

I don't know if you're drawing too much power or not, but it shouldn't to be too hard to check the rated power output vs what you have plugged into it. But with the Line 6 and the Loop Station and everything else, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have enough power. But do the math to be sure.

• Members

scratch that. the dl4 came on, the loopstation DID NOT.

i'll have to wait till the morning. i guess it's possible that output 6 isn't giving any power. but that doesn't seem right, because i was using the same setup days ago, just without it being wired on the board.

Having a multimeter around can sometimes come in handy - if you have one, it should only take a few seconds to see if output 6 is functional or not. :)

I hope you track it down... to me it sounds like either 6 is dead, or you're drawing too much power. Your only option if that's the case is a additional (supplementary) power supply or a larger supply that can handle everything.

• Members

ok, one problem is solved. everything is running off the pp2.

but i still have a really really low or close to no volume. could the problem be the george l's? how should i go about checking them without ripping the entire thing apart. should i take the tips off first and make sure the cables are in there good, and if that doens't fix the problem, test each one individually? or are the geroge l's not my problem.

• Members

Originally posted by I Am Chris

ok, one problem is solved. everything is running off the pp2.

but i still have a really really low or close to no volume. could the problem be the george l's? how should i go about checking them without ripping the entire thing apart. should i take the tips off first and make sure the cables are in there good, and if that doens't fix the problem, test each one individually? or are the geroge l's not my problem.

Always test George l's as you make them. You don't even need a cable tester, you cna just use an amp turned low. Plug each in and tap it to make sure there is signal.

• Members

The George L's were the problem. It only took me a couple minutes to find it. Everything's working perfectly now.

I'll post pics of the board tonight. It's nothing special, but I'm pretty proud of it. :D

I think i'll be checking my George L's as I make them next time.

• Members

i sent back a pedal i bought on ebay.....the led didnt come on....thought it was broken....

found out the led was connected to the output jack....i only plugged in the inputjack to check.

also i sent back a strobostomp, realising later i hadnt turned up the volume on my guitar.....so strobostomp went from Sweden to Hookstrapped in USA, from Hookstrapped to Peterson, from Peterson to Hookstrapped and then back to me....that cost me quite a bit in shipping.

:freak:

Archived