Just cant get the right overdrive sound.

Craggan

• Members

I have a DSL 50, 4x12 with V30's. I love the crunch channel on it, gain around 7 .. anything higher than that is muddy.

I need a good Overdrive, . .. either to push the Crunch channel a tiny bit, .. or run on the clean channel to emulate my crunch channel with a tad more overdrive.

Here is the bad part .. I own a TON of OD's .. cant get the right sound tho .. some days they sound good .. some days they just dont cut it.

I am using right now ..

Barber LTD everything at noon.

Line 6 Crunchtone *crunch mode, everything at noon*

I have sitting here collecting dust.

TS-9

J&H

Zakk Wylde OD

Digitech Blues Screamer

Digitech Bad Monkey

Marshall Guvnor original

Marshall Jackahammer

Marshall Guvnor +

Boss BD-2 *had a keeley one, and sold it, I like the gritty stock one better*

Boss DS-1

im sure im forgeting a couple here ..

I had, and sold ..

OCD .. lack of mids

OD-3 returned it

whats my problem?

Help ..

Im thinking of a super clean crunch; not to middy, not muddy, not woofy *I get enough bass from my amp* ..

Play a Strat in neck position, and Les Paul sometimes..

• Members

Originally posted by duderanimous

if you have the $$$ try a Carl Martin PlexiTone

Or maybe a Klon Centaur Overdrive which both Brad Whitford and Joe Perry have been using in their pedal boards for many years now. Expensive though. Have you tried a rat or modded boss sd1? An old marshall shredmaster is another idea.

ditch the line 6 pedal

• Members

What kinda volumes are you playing at? You might also consider a thd hotplate or weber mass (or even minimass) which will allow you to get more power amp tube saturation while keeping volume controllable. The amp will probably repsond to pedals differently (potentially lot better) when the power tubes are being driven harder.

• Members

You might try to make your amp sound like something it has a hard time sounding like. I mean, say you want to make it sound like a fender cracking the tubes in power amp overdrive. Well, it is possible with the right pedal for most "clean" amps but not necessarly with a dirty amp. How good is your baseline clean?

• Members

i have been thinking of sending my sd-1 to keeley ..

I play soft to loud. .. everywhere in between. When i crank the amp, its fine.

The line 6 crunchtone *gulp* actually suprises me .. at least the "blues" setting, wit hthe bass cranked on it. It sounds pretty much like mike original guvnor .. *yikes*

• Members

I've been getting some great overdrive tones lately with my BB Preamp boost and Klon Centaur into my ENGL Blackmore on the clean channel (think Rob Zombies latest "American Witch" with dropped B tuning). For even more control on the mids, I have a Morning Dew EQ at the beginning of the chain that I just started using. Very nice:thu: I also have a DSL 100, but the ENGL's clean just blows it away:love:

• Members

I use one of those dsl's in the rehearsal studio also with a 4x12 speaker cab. You're using too much gain. Your up to 7 on the channel plus layering overdrive on top of it. I keep my gain on that amp around 4 on the drive channel and raise the master volume up to get those power tubes cooking to get a more natural sounding overdrive, then I use an overdrive, Maxon od808, in front of it with the drive around 9-10 O'Clock and the level at 3 o'clock or maxed. I add a touch of delay in the loop, just to fatten it up and smooth it out a bit. For my leads, some time I'll step on my CS-2 compressor which I have in front of the overdrive pedal with the volume just a hair higher than unity.

I play a strat and Les Paul and they both sound good with this setup.

Sometimes I get a bit giddy when I hear myself. :D

Archived