WHATS the diff between FV-500H & FV-500L

SLOhand

• Members

The "L" model is designed to work with low impedance signals (output from active pedals, fx loops, keyboards, preamps etc), while the "H" model is designed for high impedance signals (output from guitar). The "H" model will work with low impedance signals too, but not quite as smoothly. The other way around (using an "L" model first in the chain, where it is the first thing the guitar pickups "sees") will not work properly at all.

I'd recommend you to buy the "H" model, as it will work both ways. If you know for sure you will only use it in the amp's fx loop, or late in the regular pedal chain (where there will always be an active/Boss-type pedal in between it and the guitar), you can get the "L" model. Also, if you have active pickups (EMG's or similar with an active preamp in the guitar), you can use the "L" model. But for regular guitar volume pedal use (first in line, or immediately after a wah), the "H" model is the one to go for.

Edit: dot-dot-dot said it much better, and with far less words. As usual... :D

/Andreas

• Members

Perhaps - I just know that this time, when I started typing, there were no replies of worth. When I hit "submit", yours was there... and it was far more concise and to the point. But I suppose the tables have on occasion been reversed - we're probably both equally good at blabbering...

See what just happened? I started rambling - again... dammit! :mad::D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Members

The "L" model is designed to work with low impedance signals (output from active pedals, fx loops, keyboards, preamps etc), while the "H" model is designed for high impedance signals (output from guitar). The "H" model will work with low impedance signals too, but not quite as smoothly. The other way around (using an "L" model first in the chain, where it is the first thing the guitar pickups "sees") will not work properly at all.

I'd recommend you to buy the "H" model, as it will work both ways. If you know for sure you will only use it in the amp's fx loop, or late in the regular pedal chain (where there will always be an active/Boss-type pedal in between it and the guitar), you can get the "L" model. Also, if you have active pickups (EMG's or similar with an active preamp in the guitar), you can use the "L" model. But for regular guitar volume pedal use (first in line, or immediately after a wah), the "H" model is the one to go for.

I had heard rumors of "tone suck" being an issue when using a volume pedal in an amps fx loop - is this legit? I'll be using the fv-500l.

Thoughts?

• 9 years later...
  • Moderators

well, considering this thread was active nine years ago...I don't think the original posters give a rat's patootie anymore...but yes, unless you are feeding two amps with some physical separation, running in stereo isn't going to get you much 'wow' factor...

Archived