Best & Worst Behringer Experience (Products Only, No Politics Please)

tocs100

• Members

WORST: (1) Some feedback notcher from the late 1990's. It removed peaks okay (too drastic though), but didn't stop feedback, so I took it back. (2) Compressor on (discontinued) Intelligate distorts on bass peaks (same on Composer?). (3) Dirt channel on all their amps sounds like s**t IMHO, but clean sounds great (didn't crank to verify many "not loud enough" reports).

BEST: (1) Mic2200 Tube Pre works flawlessly (except the operating level is too low for a guitar straight into the 1/4' jack--best with fx loop or use xlr input and mic pre-gain), and was only $100 new. Built super-tough too, even though the tube does nothing for the sound (I A/B'd it.) I've heard bad reports about their eqs, but they sounded like novice-level misunderstandings.

(2) Minirack Graphic Eq works and sounds great too.

I haven't got my hands, or feet, on their new pedals yet though.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Worst; I have the newish Acoustic DI and it doesn't work on DC power, only batteries. I can live with that - a 9v battery lasts at least 6 months ('cos that's how long the original one has been in there).

Best: The rackmount feedback destroyer. I was having problems with a work installation; huge presentation suite with multiple mics and ceiling speakers. The client initially insisted on using their existing Sabine feedback destroyer and I couldn't get a decent voice reinforcement level without howling. Stuck the Behringer in and it just worked, perfectly, straight off. All for under

• Members

Best - Behringer BR2000 rack tuner - works perfectly, looks great in a rack, and it's only $70. Also V-Amp Pro. I get really cool guitar tones when I record with the V-Amp Pro.

Worst - Behringer V-Ampire 210. Couldn't get a decent tone out of that amp no matter what I tried. Sent it back to Musicians Friend PRONTO!!

• Members

Originally posted by dcooper830

Best - Behringer BR2000 rack tuner - works perfectly, looks great in a rack, and it's only $70. Also V-Amp Pro. I get really cool guitar tones when I record with the V-Amp Pro.

Worst - Behringer V-Ampire 210. Couldn't get a decent tone out of that amp no matter what I tried. Sent it back to Musicians Friend PRONTO!!

Where did you get that tuner? Everywhere I looked says it is still pre-order.

• Members

my band has used their SS DI box with no issues for about 10 months.

it was 30 bucks cheaper than the next DI available from our local neighborhood shop.

i don't regret the purchase, but i avoid most of their products with (IMO) good reason.

i don't see many other things they make that i would purchase, outside of maybe some cheap PA enclosures - but they'd have to be an extrordainary value when compared to mid-line Yamaha or Peavey gear, which are almost unbeatable, IMO.

and at this point, i haven't seen that yet.

• Members

Originally posted by beezdeez

Where did you get that tuner? Everywhere I looked says it is still pre-order.

Actually.. a local music store had just gotten 2 of them in, and I snatched it up the second I saw it. I'm totally glad I did.

I just looked and Samedaymusic.com says they'll be in April 25th..

Wait... stop.. I just checked and Musicians Friend has them NOW for $59.95!!

Get it! You won't regret it!

• Members

Originally posted by dcooper830

Actually.. a local music store had just gotten 2 of them in, and I snatched it up the second I saw it. I'm totally glad I did.

I just looked and Samedaymusic.com says they'll be in April 25th..

Wait... stop.. I just checked and Musicians Friend has them NOW for $59.95!!

Get it! You won't regret it!

I think I will. I need a new pedal tuner, but I'm thinking of going rack with the tuner.

How is the mic on that thing? Can you turn the mic on and off so it isn't tracking while you are playing?

• Members

i can't stand when a venue uses those behringer feedback destroyer/detector racks.

They are useless and can't do anything properly. I still believe that if you want to get rid of some feedback, you gotta learn the general frenquencies by ear!

• Members

WORST: nothing

BEST: nada

DOES THE JOB, BUT NOTHING SPECIAL:

vamp2 -- for my simple needs, the vamp2 does the job just fine. to be more specific, i use it as a headphone amp only (with a speck of reverb) and occasionally with the line input; no fx or 'feature' use, so to speak, just 'tweed' amp setting and tones all set to 5. the build quality is a bit cheap, but its durable enough for 'responsible' use (dont exert extra stress on jacks), and hasnt failed me at all (i'm the second owner, too). sure, its got no power switch, but thats hardly a deal-breaker for a piece of gear destined to kitchen use for me.

ub802 mixer -- once again, for my simple & non-tone/sonics-oriented applications, Behr & this dirt-cheap mixer delivered what I needed. 3 guys with vamp/pod/digitech needed to jam together in a kitchen, late at night, and all hear each other -- basic mixer biz. not looking for good sound, not looking for the conveying of 'convincing' tones or low noise, or any features at all. the behr got the job done, and whatever its shortcomings were on paper didnt in any way impede the musical job that was at hand. for jobs requiring higher fidelity and better build (non-home use), i'd opt for mackie, yamaha, midas, but for this kitchen-project, for $30 used, it was pretty tough to fault at all.

• Members

Originally posted by ArrMatey

i can't stand when a venue uses those behringer feedback destroyer/detector racks.

They are useless and can't do anything properly. I still believe that if you want to get rid of some feedback, you gotta learn the general frenquencies by ear!

Actually, the Feedback destroyer is a parametric EQ that you can either let it set itself or you can program it. If you know how to program it and know something about frequencies, it can work wonders in a bad room. In my experience they work way better than the Sabine ones and they are much, much less expensive. And it kind've pains me to say that as I'm not exactly a fan of much of the Behringer stuff except for the first run MX2000 composer compressor, which was a direct copy of a Drawmer, but was a great comp., and you can find them at crazy reasonable prices used if you patiently look. The later versions aren't as good as the MX2000, though, in my experience, either in sonics or build quality.

I recently mixed front of house for a 4-hour live show with multiple bands that one of the bands had supplied a Behringer 2442 series, I think the FX series, it's the newer one with effects built-in and a graphic EQ onboard. I can't say I liked the way the board felt at all, it felt cheap, and the master volume slider was cutting out, I ended up running the mix through subgroup 1 & 2 instead of the mains in order to get a stereo mix. That being said, the mixer sounded pretty good, especially considering the price, but I wouldn't advise buying one because of the experience I had with the master output slider and cheap feel of this one.

That said, our church has a Mackie 4-buss that feels cheap to me and has issues with effects sends on 4 channels and it was a lot more expensive board than the Behringer. In fact, you can get a Soundcraft LX7ii for not very much more than the Mackie cost, and the Soundcraft (our church has one of these too) is a LOT more solid board than either the Behringer or Mackie, and sounds a world better as well. I said all that to say this, Behringer stuff is what it is, budget stuff. Most of the time it's ok, but you can certainly do better.

• Members

Only owned one product: a $99 ten channel mixer that I bought for some emergency mic pres for a recording I was doing. It pained me to shell over that cash, but I don't regret it a bit.

I've had the thing nearly three years and it's done everything I've needed it to. Remote recording, submixes, small shows w/our PA and not in the mood to hook up the Allen&Heath.

It's a trooper. Really neutral pres that just get the job done. I'm cool with that. I've used LOT'S of different recording equipment and I can live with this unit...

• Members

Originally posted by The*Ataris

It's a trooper. Really neutral pres that just get the job done. I'm cool with that. I've used LOT'S of different recording equipment and I can live with this unit...

Yeah, I have to say again that the mixer I used a couple weeks ago, while feeling like it was poorly built, sounded pretty good. I've heard much worse sounding mic pres on a mixer, for sure.

• Members

I was pleasantly surprised by their new mini-fx graphic eq, which is a nine band eq that I got for $38. That's almost as cheap as a Dano Fish & Chips, and it sounds better than the Dano, with more control over the sound. Very natural sounding with the levels flat, didn't notice any coloration, which is a good thing for eq's.

• Members

Originally posted by ArrMatey

I don't hold with running them on Auto, but if you set them up right they do do the job very nicely. As you say, no substitute for properly ringing out the room, but a very handy tool in addition to a graphic EQ.

• Members

Worst: V-Amp 2

Got this with the intention to use it either with headphones or hooked to my stereo for practicing at home - hated it immediately (and sold it since); makes everything sound overprocessed, sterile, without dynamics, effects are really cheesy, and it is especially bad with clean sounds or slightly overdriven ones - really cold, lifeless; high-gain sounds might be OK, if you like metal (which I don't, so I'm not the best judge for those).

My Award-Session JD-10 stomp-box/solid-state-preamp (with speaker sim - can alos be hooked up to the stereo) does not have any modelling or effects, but sounds about a million times better clean, slightly overdriven, or with 'classic rock' typ sounds...

• Members

Worst:

my bamd got a euro mixer with 2 amplified monitors that we never use because it just doesn't soung good when it's cranked...always feed back and such...

Best:

i love my VD-1 vintage distortion, kinda big-muff clone but less muddy than the newer big muffs IMO, it sounds very good for fuzzy lead stuff and it got a good tone control pot that is very effective...a damn good pedal

also the sm-57 clone does a good job for miking amps live

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

The tremolo pedal is awesome.

The V-AMP Pro has bizarre knobs and the models are pretty crap. You really have to use the software to use it to its full potential.

I really enjoy some of the sounds I get from the V-Amp Pro for recording..

I seem to get some unusual tones that really sound nice on my recordings.. I have a recording I did once where I tried to put as many V-Amp Pro tones in a song as I could and it came out really cool...

I would love to post this clip for all of you to hear... but I don't know how to do that.

If someone could tell me... I would post the clip immediately.

• Members

I've had good luck with Behringer gear. I have an MX2004A mixer that I bought several years ago. It's been trouble free, and sounds really good.. As good as the Mackie I A-B'd it against, for 1/3 of the price.

Also, the XM8500 mic is a monster. $19 each, and they really cook. Once again, A-B'd against an SM-58 - almost identical, except the 8500's gain before feedback was slightly higher.

I understand their power amps are nothing to write home about, but I've never personally used one, so I can't say for sure. I was not terribly impressed with their guitar amps, but they do pack a lot of features in for the money.

Archived