Best & Worst Behringer Experience (Products Only, No Politics Please)

tocs100

• Members

Originally posted by beezdeez

I think I will. I need a new pedal tuner, but I'm thinking of going rack with the tuner.

How is the mic on that thing? Can you turn the mic on and off so it isn't tracking while you are playing?

Actually.. I don't know much about the mic on it... I never use it. It has some other features that I don't use.. like a metronome and some other tuning modes.

I just run it in-line in my rack .... hit the mute button when I want to tune... and it works great.

Also... if you press and hold the mute button... it turns on the rack lights and it will light up your rack in case you can't see it in the dark. It looks soooooo cool!!!

I'm tellin' ya.. buy that thing!! TOTALLY worth it!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Best:

Older KX1200 amplifier-low noise and great, warm sound with amp modelers

VD1 Vintage Distortion-pretty decent Muff clone

UB802 Mixer-survived a surge that blackened a contact on an extension cord with minimal damage and continues to be my practicing/recording workhorse

Worst:

Newer KX1200 amplifier-noisy, bright-sounding, and prone to RF interference

VAMP-2-lithium memory backup battery died 90 days after purchase

• Members

Best: Behringer BR2000 rack tuner that I got off e-bay for $59 + shipping. Does a good job tuning and is very easy to use and see from a distance, plus it has a rack light. I think it is a major score for the $$.

Worst: Nothing because the only Behringer product I have is the tuner.

• Members

Best: I have the Ultra-Curve Pro which is one of Behringer's higher priced units. It's got graphic and parametric eq plus many other features and sounds quite good.

On the other end of the price scale, I bought one of their new compressor stomp boxes for $19 and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded for MILD compression. I actually like it better than the MXR Super Comp I've been using.

Worst: I normally use the MX2004 mixing board as a submixer for a rack of keyboards and synth modules. For that it works fine. But I recently tried recording with it using it's built in pre-amps and it sounded horrible. The tracks were unusable and I had to use a different board.

• Members
Originally posted by ArrMatey

i can't stand when a venue uses those behringer feedback destroyer/detector racks.

They are useless and can't do anything properly. I still believe that if you want to get rid of some feedback, you gotta learn the general frenquencies by ear!

Man,ain't that the truth!

• Members

BEST: FCB1010 Midi foot controller - Best bang for the buck midi controller.

2nd BEST: BCF2000 USB Fader Controller. I've been really pleased with this unit so far. It works great with Sonar and even better with Reason. I'm thinking about getting the rotary controller as well.

Worst: None - I've been pretty lucky with my Behringer gear. I also own the Truth active monitors and a couple of patch bays all are working great.

• Members

I had one of those small Eurorack tabletop mixers. I think it had two mic inputs. Anyhow, I never improved my recording tones more than when I got rid of that piece of {censored} and bought a Yamaha that cost a mere $40 dollars more. Hell, the behringer didn't even have a power switch. :freak:

• Members

BEST : FCB1010, a great MID controller.

V-amp 2, even though i'm a vintage gear fan, it's really a great tool

WORST : Some headphones I bought from them...major, major crap, distorted at low volumes, one side only works on sundays :D

• Members

i don't have a best.

my worst is the v-amp2. which was my worst gear experience. maybe it was because it was when i had just started playing and it was my first experience with effects and maybe because my guitar wasn't that great(squire standard double fat strat). But it sounded terrible. I don't know if the chorus could even be described as a chorus. maybe a chorus of hyper active munchkins. besides that everything else sounded like crap too. But i'm actually still glad i got it because it got me into effects and able to play with different sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Best (only own 1 product, a bass rig): Behringer Ultrabass 4500H head and 2 Behringer Ultrabass 1x15" cabinets. This thing sounds great, 450 watts, no hum even when cranked. Got the entire stack at GC for $600! No complaints whatsoever, either for the tone or the price I paid. I'm a guitarist primarily and didn't want to spend a fortune on bass gear - this was a perfect fit.

• Members

Originally posted by ArrMatey

i can't stand when a venue uses those behringer feedback destroyer/detector racks.

They are useless and can't do anything properly. I still believe that if you want to get rid of some feedback, you gotta learn the general frenquencies by ear!

All you need to kill feedback is a rack EQ with lots of bands. You just boost each band until you find the one that causes the feedback and then cut that frequency.

• Members

Originally posted by RomanS

Worst: V-Amp 2

Got this with the intention to use it either with headphones or hooked to my stereo for practicing at home - hated it immediately (and sold it since); makes everything sound overprocessed, sterile, without dynamics, effects are really cheesy, and it is especially bad with clean sounds or slightly overdriven ones - really cold, lifeless; high-gain sounds might be OK, if you like metal (which I don't, so I'm not the best judge for those).

My experience as well, but mine also had a corrupt chip in it on arrival so I had to get a service on it. Turns out they just throw the whole lot in the bin and give you a new one...sold it immediately. Don't keep anything like that if I can't get a decent clean tone out of it.

The good news I suppose is that Behringer honoured the warantee despite it having been bought in another country. The bad news is, they're built for landfill, not to be serviceable.

• Members

Originally posted by phatbassdood

or maybe a lack of patience?

...possibly.

Here's a 'decent' clean tone I made on a V-Amp2:

http://download.yousendit.com/6B02215A1FBFA9CF

studio-quality? Nah - but then neither is my guitar playing! LOL I just ran an instrument cable into the 'line in' of my PC, recorded with the free app Audacity.

Archived