Best & Worst Behringer Experience (Products Only, No Politics Please)

tocs100

• Members

Originally posted by blackmoreisgod

:thu:
okey-dokey

I'm certainly not the world's best tweaker but I tried real hard to get a decent clean tone out of the Vamp2, and as a comparison, it took less than a minute to get a far better clean out of my Micro Cube.

Obviously one has much simpler parameters, but if after a week or so of trying to nail just one good clean tone to justify the Vamp purchase and still coming up short, I decided it's not for me and/or it requires far too much fecking tweaking just to get one good sound.

Good for you if it works for your tastes.:thu:

I'm sorry, but that sound sample shows exactly what I was talking about - overprocessed, lifeless clean tone, very '80s-ish...

Exactly my experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by phatbassdood

best : bass V-amp pro, fcb1010, bcf2000

worst : none so far

waiting for the rack tuner to become available over here........
:bor:

manchester?

what part mate. im form 'dale!:thu:

rack tuners available through g.a.k

• Members

I only have two Behringer products and I love them both.

1) XM8500 mic. I too use this all the time next to an SM58 and I prefer it.

2) Their smallest mixer. Honestly a power switch is the least of my worries with a little personal mixer. The thing sounds great, I like their mic preamp and it's got enough features for me to record at home.

• Members

Originally posted by NiCkMiLnE

^would you use it for guitar? its a vocal mic
;)
any you'd reccemmend that are as good as shure?

I haven't used it to mic a guitar yet but it'd be worth a try. Check out the XM8500. That's the one I said I use next to a Shure SM58 every week and we like it better.

• Members

^would you use it for guitar? its a vocal mic
;)

guitar & voice are (generally) both mid-heavy sounds. as long as it can take the volume being put out (by the speaker being mic'ed), its a candidate. (among other reasons,) this is why the sm57, and sm58, have been standards for both guitar & vox so long.

• Members

Best: V-Amp 2 and V-Ampire LX1200 head.

They both have the same preamp/fx. One just is in a head format and has more output options. Both sound great going into the fx return of my Peavey Ultra Plus amp, running into either a Carvin V412 cab or a couple of 1X12" EV12L speakers.

* I DON'T use the fx of the V-Amp, as it lowers the overall volume and detracts from the preamp sounds, IMO. I might use a tiny amount of reverb, chorus, or compression from time to time but only at minimal levels.

* I don't think many people understand how to set one up for live use. The first time I brought one home, I hooked it to a Carvin X100B's front input jack and then tried the fx return, and it sounded like a simultaneously harsh and muddy mess. I later read some reviews that mentioned turning off the cab models if using through an amp, and that was the trick. There is also post-eq available in live mode L2 that helps thicken the tone.

I get a very good JCM-800 type of tone as well as modern gain from the amp, and the cleans, while not X100B or Roland JC-120 good, are very usable, IMO. While not perfect, I like the preamp tones FAR better in the V-Amps when eq'd properly than I do almost any distortion pedal I've read about on this forum over the last couple + years that I've owned or tried as well as those I've either owned or tried extensively over the last couple decades.

But there will always be a difference in opinion on what makes a decent distortion sound. Most pedal distortions I've heard sound like fuzzy farts in a can compared to actual decent amp distortion or the rythms will sound great while having very crappy lead tones -- obviously just my opinion. :D

I also have the UB802 mixer and am looking forward now to hooking that and the cheap EMU-0404 recording card up to see how that cheap setup will work out. AND I want one of those mics that's being compared to the Shure 57/58. :D Then I need to just get unlazy enough to read up on it all and get it together. ;)

• Members

I have a Bass Vamp and I pretty much use it exculsively for recording.

I have to say that it sounds better with headphones than it does into my MBox but perhaps that is my terrible sound engineering rather than the actual product.

Of course any elaborate tool like this requires time to truly get the most out of it and to give it a true shot for a quality review.

I have not dedicated that type of time to it so I can't very well give it glowing reviews but I will say that with very little time into it, I was able to get bass sounds that I was happy to record both with effects and without them.

Certainly worth a try for $100.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

manchester?

what part mate. im form 'dale!
:thu:

rack tuners available through g.a.k

I'm from radcliffe, (where the vampires don't go out after dark)

I got one of the rack tuners from bluearan in the end, it's nice enough, but doesn't track as well as my korg (dt3?) handheld (which is brilliant :thu: )

• Members

Originally posted by runbeerrun

Behringer C-1 condensor microphone! $40 new. Decent lows, all the highs condensors can give. You can't sing super loud right in front of it, or it'll distort. Besides that, it's great, just as good as my $300 Shure KSM27 mike. I have clips of it up at:
http://runbeerrun2.tripod.com

If you can't sing super loud right in front of the $40 Behringer, then it isn't as good as the $300 Shure - unless the Shure has the same problem.

:confused::rolleyes:

• Members

I have a behringer cable tester and it works perfectly. Anybody who does DIY cables simply CAN NOT be without such a device.

Also, I have a pair of behringer active DI boxes (the silver, not the red), and they work flawlessly, and have more functionality than most other DIs out there.

I actually don't have any negative experiences with them.

Archived