OT: Hiwatt Hi-Gain 100

zinzin

• Members

i am looking out for a serious stage amp and got the orange ad30tc and the new vox ac30cc in sight. then i stumbled across the new hiwatt hi-gain 100 amp in a store and tried it out - AWESOME!!! this amp has it all: sparkling cleans, crunchy crunch and lots of gain that shook me bones! played pinball wizard with master high and i was in heaven! i played some classic rock riffs with some serious crunch and it was burning out my ears. i also played some heavy stoner rock stuff just for fun with lot of gain and its was groovy and heavy as hell, but still with lots of clarity and definition!

the orange and the vox are fine amps, but the hiwatt caught me ... thing is, i don't need all that gain and massive power. now what?! gassssss ...

• Members

... and there's always the hiwatt hi-gain 50w - less power would be more suited to my needs. hmmm ... but oranges do sound tasty as well and look cool as hell. hmmm ... the vox was a bit dissappointing: there are lots of switchable settings but the do not offer much different sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by ollenorin

only heard great things about the hi-gain hiwatt.

buy it now !

hey olle, i also tried out that little hiwatt custom 7w head you once posted here and while the clean sound was wonderful, it was almost impossible to get it overdriven. i had the master on maximum and playing through a 4x12 hiwatt cab! almost clean all the way! and its really not a loud amp. so its def more a studio/recording amp.

• Members

Originally posted by woude

I had exactly the same experience. It's a wonderfull amp and the gain / overdrive is just HUGE. I liked the clean equally good as a custom hiwatt when I compared them side to side.

oh yeah, HUGE GAIN! it's perfect for some dropped D riffing - although i never do that ... - i played "spoonman" by soundgarden, some alice in chains tunes and it digged deep! :D

i predict success for those amps.

• Members

Originally posted by spoonie g

hiwatt made a high gain head? what's the model #??

hiwatt hi-gain 100w or 50w. here: http://www.hiwatt.co.uk/ than go under "hi-gain series"

but i don't know, i don't have to make a decision soon, so i am still thinking about which amp to choose. i really also like the orange, its has a own distinct crunch character which i really like. the vox "not-so-goooood-sounding", but less expensive. :confused:

• Members

I've got an ad-140tc that I use in combo with an ac-30 handwired. The two together sound pretty f-in amazing. You can hear it on my band's songs at at the address below. The ad-30 is nice too but a slightly different animal, more in the vox vein with an attempt at quasi-class-a. The 140 has gobs of low-end and thickness in comparison.

You know, I used to have a hiwatt dr-103 I got off ebay that I wonder if was "right." It was pretty shrill and mushy on the low-end. It just sounded like a very anal and clinical version of a marshall. I had a tech look it over and he said it was fine, but I always wondered if that's how they really sound?

Archived