BYOC VB-2 Vibrato

JohnLutz

• Members

I picked one of these up on a whim and I have to say I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. I wasn't really sure what to expect. I just knew that the old VB-2's go for a bunch of money. Here's a quick review of the BYOC clone:

Appearance: The paint job is even nicer in person than it looks on the pictures. Nice 3D quality to it.

Controls: The controls are pretty straight forward. There's a "ramp" switch on the side. If you turn it on you can press on the second footswitch to ramp from no vibrato to full vibrato. There's a knob to control how long it takes to ramp.

Sound: I think the thing to remember with vibratos is that less is more. If you set the depth and speed too high, you get useless sounds. But if you roll the depth back and decrease the speed you get a really nice CE-1 like shimmer. This is what really suprised me... how 3D sounding the pedal is. It really adds depth to your sound. You can use this with an analog delay to produce "wow and flutter" for a really lush clean sound. If you turn the speed up a little and use the ramping, you can use the pedal to emphasize short musical passages similar to the way you would use a fast leslie.

John

• Members

The price on the website before he "took a break" was $449 for a prebuilt kit.

The slowest speed is about two cycles per second. If you want really slow, get a Sweetsound Mojovibe. That can do over a second per cycle.

John

• Members

Originally posted by JohnLutz

The price on the website before he "took a break" was $449 for a prebuilt kit.

The slowest speed is about two cycles per second. If you want really slow, get a Sweetsound Mojovibe. That can do over a second per cycle.

John

So you're paying $450 for a fake version of a pedal you can buy for $300?:rolleyes::confused:

• Members

Originally posted by shipatsea

How slow will it go?? I love slow pitch shifting vibrato, like 1 and a half to 2 seconds on each wave. The CE-1 will not go that slow nor will the Austone Vibrostomp. If this VB-2 will then I am sold!!

The SIB Vibromatic goes very slow IIRC

• Members

I am $1.87 short in my paypal account and therefore cannot capitalize on the pre-order invite sent to me by BYOC. Looks like I have to wait until the 15th until they are made available to the public.

Anyone interested better act fast because the BYOC VB-2 clone is a limited run due to the rarity of some of the components.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

The kit's going to be $125 - out in May.

These things have been on the cards for ages. I stumbled across a post I made about in in early August last year. I think only the semaphore has had a longer announcement to release date
;)
(kidding)

yeah ive been waiting on the kits for ages just bring it out will ya, i got someone to build it already:mad: :D

• Members

Originally posted by BlurryBoy 13

Is everyone so interested in the effect because it's so hard to get or because...?

For me it's because it's the only pedal I've found that does a true vibrato without any chorus-like shimmer.

I'd love to stumble across one for cheap but I'm sure that given time, I'll eventually crack and buy one at an absurd price.

• Members

I've been thinking about the VB2 for a while and have come to the position that why not pony up a bit more cash for a Jazzmaster and use the whammy bar constantly (ala Kevin Shields or Lonnie Mack)...

I have used the Rotovibe's pitch vibrato for shimmer before but it's nothing I wouldn't use tremolo for now.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

I've been thinking about the VB2 for a while and have come to the position that why not pony up a bit more cash for a Jazzmaster and use the whammy bar constantly (ala Kevin Shields or Lonnie Mack)...

Yes, yes... but pedals do not go out of tune.

But I agree; I just utilize my whammy bar all the time, and for those times when it's not feasible, I use my Ineko. Or both.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

vb-2 kits are back again.

Versions with the original BA662A chip are in limited supply. Once these are gone, I seriously doubt there will be anymore.

There are plenty of the version with the work-a-like chip to go around and they sound just as good.

emailvb2groupo.jpg

vb2top.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by CicadaSilence

But... I just bought a VB2...

You can buy the kit, build it, a/b the two and then sell the original when you hear what a difference true bypass makes on this pedal. I'm sure someone on ebay will buy it from you.

Archived