What do I need to get this sound?

markom89

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by stereotypy

that's bull{censored}, man! muse is in no-way like radiohead! both are making great music that sounds like they sound... comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges.

Are you on crack? Just listen to the guy's voice, he totally masturbates to Thom Yorke at night.

Sure it is not the same exact kind of music as Radioheads, it is a little more rock oriented and a little bit blander.

matt4.jpg
Someone needs to tell his hairstylist what year it is.

• Members

Originally posted by Soulgolem

Someone once told me the same thing a long long time ago when Muse was just starting ... either he didn't know Radiohead at all, or Muse at all, but after having heard this statement from many places, I seriously have trouble finding any similarities, except that they're both from the same continent.

That is like Peter Murphy or Ian Curtis saying David who?

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

Are you on crack? Just listen to the guy's voice, he totally masturbates to Thom Yorke at night.

. well therefore both - thom and matt - are masturbating on jeff buckleys and his dads tim buckleys voice all night long.

+ matt does more head-voice instead of thom yorke who's more the delirium typo man..

and copy?? damn they also copied the language.. WTF!!

• Members

@ markom89

earth is calling you.. hello? hello? 1, 2, 3.. can you hear me?? earth is calliong.. repeat.. earth is calling... ssshhhhh shhhh .. come back.. sshh shhh .. it's your mother, markom. please come back!.. ssshhhh 1, 2, 1, 2, 3,... how are you? can you hear me??? earth here. earth is calling!! sshh shhh

transmission interrupted deng deng deng transmission interrupted deng deng deng transmission interrupted deng deng deng

ssssssshhhhhhhhsssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

haha, thats funny ! :D

• Members

. well therefore both - thom and matt - are masturbating on jeff buckleys and his dads tim buckleys voice all night long.

+ matt does more head-voice instead of thom yorke who's more the delirium typo man..

and copy?? damn they also copied the language.. WTF!!

:rolleyes:

If not a copy, there's definitely a clear influence that is not ignorable. Without Radiohead, Muse wouldn't be anything like what it is as we know it.

But I'd say they copied them. :D

• Members

I definitely notice the influence that radiohead had on muse, but there are very different. The vocal styling is the main reason they get compared to radiohead. if you spent enough time listening to both bands you would begin to notice the differences. When I first started listening to muse I thought that they were copying radiohead, but I now realize that they aren't so similar.

and even if they were ripping off radiohead, is there any reason we can't still enjoy the music? Because it in fact is good in its own right.

Every type of music out there is a rip off of something whether it be elvis, the beatles, the stooges, sonic youth, whatever. and truth be told radiohead is one of the most influential bands of our generation so of course people will be inspired by them.

• Members

sorry.. i never ever thought about radiohead when i listened to muse. and i know muse since 1999!!!

i also don't think graham coxon and john frusciante are COPYING syd barrett, just because syd influenced them to make their music... and honestly i can't hear syd in any of coxon/johns songs!!!

when do people realize the difference between good music and bad music?? there is the difference. but hey.. matt plays the piano probably 100x better then we all together... + he plays some great guitar parts that has nothing to do with radiohead at all!!... + he is singing with a voice that is unique. as thom yorkes is..

oh wait.. right.. tom waits copied also thom yorke.. well... not really copied.. but take it as a big inspiration for his voice technique.. so here we are again.. tom waits is copying thom yorke..

$&%l.. everybody is copying thom yorke since he arose!!

without a doubt radiohead is one if not the greatest band of the last and present century in my opinion.. but therefore i talk {censored} about bands that come close?? .... no!

• Members

There are tons of kinds of singing voices, and just because two have a somewhat similar tone and registrer doesn't mean they sound alike, they both produce very distinct melodies in their vocal styles. Tons of singers before them have had a similar tone of voice. It's about what you do with it, not what you were born with, and what we have here is two very talented people making creative music.

Maybe one of their single had a similar melody line or punch and the comparison got out of control, but knowing both bands, I can honestly say they don't sound alike.

Francis.

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

I definitely notice the influence that radiohead had on muse, but there are very different. The vocal styling is the main reason they get compared to radiohead. if you spent enough time listening to
both
bands you would begin to notice the differences. When I first started listening to muse I thought that they were copying radiohead, but I now realize that they aren't so similar.

and even if they were ripping off radiohead, is there any reason we can't still enjoy the music? Because it in fact is good in its own right.

Every type of music out there is a rip off of something whether it be elvis, the beatles, the stooges, sonic youth, whatever. and truth be told radiohead is one of the most influential bands of our generation so of course people will be inspired by them.

True. I never said I didn't enjoy muse. they have their good moments. But I guess I'm more of a Radiohead guy, if anything.

• Members

right...so umm...back on topic what do I need to get that sound that Matt gets, besides a fuzz factory and phase 90 build into my mirror finish guitar???... would my modern eagle im getting in a week with the diezel im getting in a few months be good enough running with all of my effects????

• Members

Originally posted by markom89

right...so umm...back on topic what do I need to get that sound that Matt gets, besides a fuzz factory and phase 90 build into my mirror finish guitar???... would my modern eagle im getting in a week with the diezel im getting in a few months be good enough running with all of my effects????

Good is relative. Why do you need the most expensive stuff? I mean, of course, if you truly have thought it through and love the stuff, sure. But obviously you haven't done that. You see that the guitarist from Muse uses Diezel, so you must have one. You might decide you don't like Muse anymore someday.

• Members
Originally posted by AnalogJunkie

Jerry Cantrell once told me that when he was on tour with Van Halen back in the day, Eddie asked him to play through his set up. He said "Eddie sounds like Eddie playing any guitar through any amp- the tone is IN HIS HANDS".

you have MUCH to learn young grasshoppa.
:wave:

well that puts quite a terrible spin on your "i need new tone" thread that you just posted this morning.

i had no idea you were asking us where you could get new hands, instead of new gear.

• Members

I didnt post a thread this morning about how I can get new tone... what the hell are you talking about?...and I dont want a Diezel just cause hes got one, my buddys got one and it {censored}in kills any other amp out there, vintage or not vintage, especially once you get the midi thing going, it kicks ass... and the modern eagle Ive done lots of research on, and like Its already paid off anyways and its being shipped so...yea, and as for the Diezel IM getting one no matter what you dudes say this summer... while IM in germany :D ...its honestly the best sounding amp ever, I still dont know whether to go VH4-S, VH4, or Herbert... Ill decide by then, I heard the VH4/VH4-S is a bit better...

• Members
Originally posted by Soulgolem

Now this comparison doesn't make any sense, I think i'll leave this matter as it is...

I'm just being ridiculous. To be honest, I haven't heard a lot of Muse. The Blur that I have heard is ok, but a bit inconsistent. If they were more loyal to a particular genre I would probably appreciate them better, too.

The new Bananarama? Blasphemer! :mad:

• Members

I dont want a Diezel just cause hes got one, my buddys got one and it {censored}in kills any other amp out there, vintage or not vintage

You are so right man! I can't believe all these people around here that think they're amps are soooo great because they're vintage. I mean, I heard one of these the other day, and I'd say they'd make me want to get rid of any vintage amp out there. Way better than anything Marshall, Fender, or Vox has ever made.

• Members

Yea...the 83' WAS the best, until now that is...and the diezels clean sound is {censored}ing unbelievable, pardon my french... and plus I think IM gonna be selling my 83' JCM800 to my good close buddy, i dont know how much I should ask for it though... what seems like a right price?...its in mint condition, and has been taken out once... but yea, now I like my MK IV better than the 800 cause' Ive gotten to know it better, alot better, at first all those odly placed knobs were kinda' intimidating in the sence that there were soo many, even though the Diezel has more, I just love the sound...HA, you use a Traynor YCV40, and your bad mouthing a Diezel?...haha, thats rich...:rolleyes:

• Members

I didnt post a thread this morning about how I can get new tone... what the hell are you talking about?...and I dont want a Diezel just cause hes got one, my buddys got one and it {censored}in kills any other amp out there, vintage or not vintage, especially once you get the midi thing going, it kicks ass... and the modern eagle Ive done lots of research on, and like Its already paid off anyways and its being shipped so...yea, and as for the Diezel IM getting one no matter what you dudes say this summer... while IM in germany
:D
...its honestly the best sounding amp ever, I still dont know whether to go VH4-S, VH4, or Herbert... Ill decide by then, I heard the VH4/VH4-S is a bit better...

i was talking to Analog Junkie - not you - look at who i quoted in my response.

maybe he's right - you DO have a lot to learn yet.

anyway - about Muse - i honestly don't understand the Radiohead comparison.
yes, he has a higher vocal register like Yorke, and he likes strange effects like Greenwood, but so what?

whenever i listen to them, i think it's the halfway station between Smashing Pumpkins and Queen - the arrangements, keyboards and vocal lines are very operatic many times, but they have teh bombast like SPumpkins.
Radiohead are a totally different ballgame.

and the Diezel amp kills every amp out there eh?
well, for $3500+ it goddamn well BETTER.
jesus...

Archived