i wish pedal builders would let us know what they're building

• Members

I think it was just a case of bad timing for someone who just bought a chorus pedal.

Most builders ARE telling us a few weeks before their new product ships.

Most are telling us, "Hey, I'm working on _______, even though it may not be out for a long time."

Some are hush-hush to create a buzz, or because something "leaked."

Don't think the grass is always greener. As my board nears completion, there may very well be an amazing delay pedal that would KILL my modded DD3, but I've found the DD3 is the best for ME. Therefore even though I"d be GASSING for it, I probably wouldn't purchase it.

• Members

I don't post "ideas" any more for two reasons; firstly it seems to guarantee that they won't actually work, and secondly because it also guarantees that someone will see it, think "that's a great idea" and slap one together quickly, put it on sale, sell 10, realise that it's harder to do than they thought, pull it off the market and then claim that all the problems are "organic mojo features".

So now I wait until I've made something I'd be happy to sell. Doesn't really stop the second problem, but you can't have it all.

• Members

a few years back i was working on some commercial ideas and posted here about protoypes, sometimes with names and clips. almost overnight another maker would appear with the pretty much the same product, same spec and once even the same name.

if i ever make some pedals for commercial release i would not post about them till they had been on the market for a while, or maybe even not post about them at all and see if anyone catches onto them via non-viral strategies.

• Members

i just want to take this time to announce my new non-viral pedal, which will be out next week, even though i don't know what it will sound like. it's totally analog and way non-viral. 8^) we're pre-selling them by the millions.

i'd also like to announce the "protoype" pedal, which you can find clips of on fern's site, although i disavow any knowledge of anything he's been working on. before or since. get yours now, or be forever on a waiting list!

kidding, of course.

z

• Members

I'm kinda glad builders don't announce things beforehand.

saves us the countless threads:

"when is the ____ going to be available?"

"is the new ______ by ______ available yet" - this one has about 20 different variations

"dammit, I want a _____ NOW!!"

"Any update on the _____ yet?"

"Where am I on the waiting list?"

"My god, the wait is killing me, I'm number 3,034 on the waiting list :("

etc

etc

etc.

;)

Archived