got a arion tubulator

• Members

i heard the sample online and it sounded 'cheap' in a very appealing way. like the dirt sound was overlaid on top of a clean sound or something.

plus the battery is real easy to change, just pop the top off. i think i see more arion pedals in my future :D

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

i heard the sample online and it sounded 'cheap' in a very appealing way. like the dirt sound was overlaid on top of a clean sound or something.

plus the battery is real easy to change, just pop the top off. i think i see more arion pedals in my future
:D

the sad-1 is pretty nice, I haven't had the chance to try the sad-3 though, I have heard its mediocre....teh sch-1 gets pretty rave reviews around here...but I haven't personally tried the sch-1 or the newer one yet.

• Members

I have the Tubulator and the Analog Delay and they aren't bad. They are as good or better than some pedals twice their price but that would only be in the $30-40 range. I would agree that the Tubulator sounds like a low gain distortion effect rather than enhancing the natural character of your amp. With that said, if you are running a strictly clean amp and need a low gain distortion effect it is not bad.

• Members

Just got 4 Arions in yesterday on a swap. Figured what the hell, they're cheap enough.

MTE-1 Tubulator: This one's a keeper! Way smoother than my USA Bad Monkey, has a nice tone structure, and will serve well as a soloing pedal when other dirt is on. I'd liken it to a TS-9 but actually better sounding, more "open" and smoother. Can't believe this is still under the radar.

SMM-1 Metal Master: Also a keeper, I'm still on the hunt for that elusive "perfect" metal pedal, and this one's no slouch. Doesn't nail mid-scooped tones, but delivers a massive wallop and blends nice with other low-gain ODs. Good enough to bump the H&K Warp Factor (which is more nu-metal anyway) and will serve for the time being.

SAD-3 Stereo Delay: Sending this one back. Way too muddy, only 200ms tops, wanted it as a reverb but it's too dark.

SPH-1 Stereo Phaser: Also going back. This one's the biggest joke of the lot, not much except cheapo tinny phasing, no lushness at all, and very inactive controls.

I'm actually going to get another Tubulator, I think they're that good. Might grab an SCH-Z chorus just to see how it compares to my original SCH-1 too. Can't believe these Arions can hang with my boutique stuff, but they do. And I'm no tone snob, I'll use whatever sounds best & works well with my rig.

• Members

Thanks for those mini reviews, FlyingV. My gf just bought an Epi Valve Jr. and her first pedals will probably be a few Arions. Glad to hear the Tubulator is getting so much love as that was the first one I wanted to get her, along with the delay and chorus. Might have to try the other delay now. :)

I had the old SCH1 for long time and I'm curious to hear how the Z compares. And I agree on the phaser - it had a really unnatural sweep to it.

Do you think you could cut some clips of the Tubulator, maybe showing the range of the gain knob?

• Members

Originally posted by jimihalen

Thanks for those mini reviews, FlyingV.

Do you think you could cut some clips of the Tubulator, maybe showing the range of the gain knob?

Sorry, I have no ability to do clips.

The gain knob ranges from almost no drive to a nice smooth crunch ala SRV. Even getting towards ZZ Top territory when maxed, but still articulate. Like I said, better than my USA Monkey which I'm selling now.

• Members

I got a Tubulator yesterday, too!

But I'm going to circuit-bend mine based off a diagram in another forum. It's supposed to make it sound like a broken atari, with heavy clipping, and {censored}ty tracking.

Based on what you people say, though, I may have to try it out before I open it up.

Although, it was only $13.

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

haven't played it yet. it smells like rubber.

at the Musician's Friend clearance center, they use Tubulators in boxes to stuff under table legs, if the tables aren't standing evenly.

just sayin...

:D :D

• Members

Originally posted by fearofnightmare

I got a Tubulator yesterday, too!

But I'm going to circuit-bend mine based off a diagram in another forum. It's supposed to make it sound like a broken atari, with heavy clipping, and {censored}ty tracking.

i have no need to do that, i already have a mxr blue box :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by fearofnightmare

Me too, but sometimes the ultra-low octave is annoying. The "mod" will make the pedal like the blue box, but without the octave. I think.
:confused:

but the octave is what makes that atari effect though, no? when i have the mix knob turned all the way over on mine it just sounds like a fuzz, pretty much, no atari stuff

• Members
Originally posted by IndyGuitarist

The tubulator is nearly an exact identical copy to any tubescreamer clone. If you like tubescreamers, you'll like the tubulator.

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Brian-Wampler-Indyguitarist/tubulator_schem_1

I have one and used properly, sounds great- very open and transparent w/out the mid hump. Definitely a TS-9 killer and for $12.99 a ridiculously great deal. Matter of fact, gonna pick up another for backup...:thu:

• Members

im a big fan of the arion stuff, but i dont own any of it now. its ridiculous how cool the stuff is and how cheap. that sch1 is really swirly, the fat chours too but less so. the phaser and flanger is way cool. its unnatural but has a few cool voices in it thats not found in regular phase/flangers. i dont know about the dirt, but i couldnt imagine it being too off...

Archived