Help me find this amp!!!

Redfox777

• Members

Ok so I know what I want from an amp I'm just not sure if it exists in an affordable form. Ok here goes the list:

50 watts

a lot of head room (stays clean)

Takes fuzz and light od well.

takes time based and modulation effects well.

2x12 or 1x12 with the option of an extension.

I have tried both the Peavey Classic 50 and the Laney VC30. The Peavey was to honky for me and the VC30 broke up way too soon. Both are great amps just not what I am after. My laney head on the low input has the sound I am after but I cant use it both for clean and gain. I've thought about picking up another pro-tube, probably a combo, but I figure there is something better. Fender DRRI? What about the laney LC50 or fender bassman? Overdrive isn't a selling point right now. Just a good, high head, room clean sound.

Thanks,

Brad

• Members

I'd talk to jerry p in the amp forum, he's pretty good at getting what people want out of peavey's. He should be able to mod yours to your liking. Just an option.

On a side note: My freeking classic 50 is on the fritz, so maybe you should kick her to the curb.

• Members

Originally posted by PFDarkside

How about a Fender Super (reverb)?

I think he's on to something, I've never played a super reverb, but i know you can't go wrong with the hot rod deluxe (although it's only 1x12). They have all the clean headroom in the world.

• Members

Well from what i've heard, and mind you I only have experence with the deluxe, is that because theres two speakers to drive that it breaks up sooner then the deluxe.

As a side note; you'll probably want to add a new speaker, and throw out the footswitch because the distortion channels are god awful.

• Members

God knows you can't go wrong with the twin reverb. Tried and true gigged from here to hell and back. If you don't mind shelling out for the price tag, good there and never look back. If not, the deluxe will get loud as all hell w/o breaking up. I tred to get it to break up using 2 4x12 cabs, but it was unbearably loud at half massed on the volume w/o breaking up.

But seriously man f it, get the twin reverb.

• Members

Originally posted by Redfox777

How loud can the deluxe or deville get before breaking up? I may just go for a twin reverb.

thet are some loud ass 40 watts. i play with a drummer , a bassist with a 200watts fridge, a clarinet, flute, sax and trombone, a conga, and six singers. they all get miced, i dont i run my amp at 2 and im still very muhc in the mix. they do overdrive at 4 stock mine can go up to 5.5-6 since i put the gt6l6ge rated at 8. no more power amp overdrive for me.

and i actually use the drive channel, if you like gritty tube distortion, its not a marshall , but keep the drive below 4 and you got a nice verge of overdrive sound witch is actually very pick dynamic.

• Members

Originally posted by Redfox777

Usa83strat did you have to get the amp rebiased for those tubes?

did it myself. but yeah i did. since they come with gt6l6b rated at 5 or 6, plus its a;wasy good to rebias tthe amp for new tubes. its fairly simple on these amps too

Originally posted by PFDarkside

I'm sorry, I just looked up the Super and it's 4x10", not what you are looking for at all. I thought Fender made a ~40W 2x12" amp. The Deluxe is around 22W, right?

Yup, a Deluxe RI is 22 watts. The Hot Rod Deluxe is 40 W IIRC.

The Fender Pro Reverb is a 2X12 at about 45 watts... that might be a good choice. A Twin would also work, but might be more power than you want - 85 - 130 watts, depending on the year / model.

• Members

Actually the amp wasn't mine, it was my roommates, but thats why i've had extensive experence with it. Umm he had a lot of nos crap in it, I remember him dicking around for 2-3 days with 9 different preamp tubes for the best clean. It did have a weber california ceremaic speaker in it, which really made the sound. I can find out what tubes he finally settled on in the end if you really want to know, but i know one was just a simple eh 12ax7.

• Members

A Deville is 60 watts in a 2x12 configuration. Its basically the same amp as a Deluxe, but with 20 more watts and an extra speaker. Tons of clean headroom and it takes pedals well. Some people don't like the drive channel, but its usually the ones trying to turn it into a high gain amp. Open up the master volume and turn up the gain so that the drive channel volume matches the clean channel for best results.

I really like this amp, cause its the closest thing to having a Twin and a Bassman in the same amp(unless you spend a lot more for a boutique).

Another cool thing is that these amps are so popular, there are tons of mods available so if you want to get it to sound like an expensive boutique amp you can do so down the road. Nonetheless, its very much a good amp stock, and you see them being gigged everywhere. True working man's amp.

Archived