Best Tremolo for the price?

DylanWilde

• Members

I am wondering what is the best Tremelo to get for simple, natural, classic tremolo sounds. I don't want to spend a great deal. The 90 dollars for a new Boss TR-2 makes me nervous, but I don't know if I want to settle for a plastic Danelectro.

What is the best way to go?

• Members

the Dano is actually a great trem--especially for the money. can't be beat.
but it's not quite as nice as the Electro Harmonix Pulsar, which offers more versatility.
the BOSS is fine but for the price i'd want a bit more out of a pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

the Dano is actually a great trem--especially for the money. can't be beat.

but it's not quite as nice as the Electro Harmonix Pulsar, which offers more versatility.

the BOSS is fine but for the price i'd want a bit more out of a pedal.

I thought i knew tremelo till i got the moog ring mod ...

• Members

In the sub $100 market, definitly the pulsar. Only issues are trhe weird power jack and huge size.
In the $100-$200 market, Catalinbread semaphore, really has a lot of options but not as geared towards traditional trem sounds.
In the over $200 market, red witch pentavocal, it needs to grow on you a bit but i have come to love mine.

• Members

Whoa, I just checked Musician's Friend, and it looks like the switch from hard to soft on the Danelectro is now a knob. I assumed it would be a simple switch but the new knob allows for as much versatility as the Boss.

I think I might be coming over to the Tuna Melt side here.

• Members

The best "for the money" tremolo I've used is the NOBELS. It seems to be perpetually under the radar. Provides all the hard/soft, classic/helicopter sounds I ever need.
I've upgraded to an EMPRESS tremolo with tap tempo - and it's the most musical unit I've heard.

• Members

Originally posted by freeridstylee

Didn't someone on the forum have a homemade 3ms tremolous lune? for 90? Cuz that'd be by far your best bet.

yep it is me

4ms tremulus lune built by me. the knobs are speed, depht, volume (@ 50% is in unity, over it boost your signal) and spacing works like a symmetry knob betwen the wave and depht, changing the spectrum of the tremoloed signal), 2 footswitches: wave (change from square to triangle wave) and bypass (Truebypass), a green led flashes with the speed of the lfo for pix check my sig.

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

15 bucks for a tuna melt gave me all the tremolo I could need for the time being.

Ya, Those little dano pedals are surprising. IMO, You HAVE to buy them used though to get the full appreciation. Full price puts you into used Boss pedal territory. My used $15 french toast pedal gets plenty of use.

• Members

Originally posted by ZepFuzz05

I am wondering what is the best Tremelo to get for simple, natural, classic tremolo sounds. I don't want to spend a great deal. The 90 dollars for a new Boss TR-2 makes me nervous, but I don't know if I want to settle for a plastic Danelectro.

What is the best way to go?

The voodoolab tremelo is nice. You can hear it at their site. Under $100 used. AMS has them new for $119 with free shipping.

• Members

Make sure your tremolo has a volume level. When you turn them on you generally hear a drop in volume. I'm just about to upgrade my Marshall vibratrem to a T-rex Tremster for that reason.

The vibratrem is great though but you need to run it in a loop with the FX level boosted though to getthe best out of it.

• Members

I think the responses are right on the money. From what I have read here most people like the tuna melt for the price, the pulsar for midrange and the semaphore for the ultimate unit. Disclaimer, Ive never played nor try any of the above, that said, Im a tremolo nut. I have a EHX Wiggler that I got for 110 used and it makes me very happy. If you want to have vibrato and tremolo at the same time this is a smart pick. Speed knob goes up so fast, it sounds like it is raping the amp :thu:

Archived