Worst guitarist in rock? heheheh

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TrashFace

well i know they are RAWk but Aaron north in NIN is. he is so horrible that its unique and weird.

I disagree. When I saw NIN he was the highlight of the show, jumping around and smashing things, fun to watch. His playing seemed to be fine. Trent Reznor looked like a fratboy douchebag though with his shaved head. Funny how he used to talk {censored} about Fred Durst all the time yet now all his stage mannerisms are exactly the same.

• Members
Originally posted by Mr. Poopsicle

I didn't expect the guitar playing on Californication. I thought it was going to be Blood Sugar 2.

Yeah, me too... It wasn't, not by a long shot.

Your right, he was decimated by heroin. He quit guitar for 4-5 years and said wasn't still back at full strength playing wise when that record was made.

Look at the music that he made under those conditions.

The solo stuff? I've heard it and I think it's awful. Truly awful.

As far as the funk goes, I don't know how much more funky you can get than the opening lick of Purple Stain.

Well, the opening of "Funky Monks," for one. Or just about any other guitar part on Bloodsugar.

That's just me, though... :)

• Members

Originally posted by llc55

I only mentioned the obvious ones in my previous post. Here's my sacred cow:

Frank Zappa.

You're dead to me.

Zappa should be noted in the "best vocalist" thread, as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

i smell a nirvana refernce on page one....

so here it goes

STEVE JONES.... Thats why they got syd to play bass... to make Steve took like he could actually play.

Jimmy page also played seemingly at the very edge of his capabilities, and came off as sloppy quite a bit to me.

I actually love terrible guitar players though.

I have to disagree. He actually did the bass lines on a lot of the first album also. He is a brilliant rhythm player, and his riffs were great. Check out the DVD about the making of Never Mind the Bollocks. It is great.

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

I have to disagree. He actually did the bass lines on a lot of the first album also. He is a brilliant rhythm player, and his riffs were great. Check out the DVD about the making of Never Mind the Bollocks. It is great.

I thought all that but didn't bother ... I think Jones is one of THE great rock guitarists of the 20th C ... few put it out there like him. Also check the studio engineers who were TOP English pro's at the time rhapsodise about how tight he was/is as a rhythmn player ... PANZER DIVISION!

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

Well, the opening of "Funky Monks," for one. Or just about any other guitar part on Bloodsugar.

That's just me, though...
:)

No, I ment Californication was a really great album in general, then if you take into account John nearly died and was still recovering mentally and physically from his drug problem when he made it, it makes more sense that it is not Blood Sugar 2.

Have you heard "Shadows Collide with People"? If your remotely interested in John still you should pick it up. No fancy solos, just great songs.

• Members

bad guitar players can be busted up into 3 basic categories. here we go.

GROUP A;this group wil be refered to as Tone Deaf, maybe not a bad player. just bad tone, can be very annoying. this could be blamed on bad gear. but usually just stems from stupidity.(think new Santana, Steve Vai)
GROUP B; terrible player. skills yes but more importantly what they choose to play, bad hand me downs, rip offs, bad beer commercials, cheese dick guitar parts.
(think creed, nickleback, new Santana)
GROUP C: lets call this one soulless. (this is really just a branch for groups a,b) player has huge bore factor. it can not be helped by gear nor tone. and nothing can keep you from falling asleep while lisetning.
(think new Santana)

Remember you can use any group combination to descripe crappy guitar.
Steer clear of opinions of people who themselves may belong to one of these groups.

• Members

You're dead to me.

Zappa should be noted in the "best vocalist" thread, as well.

:D

I knew I would make enemies.

But why should I care and respond... you guys are not seeing my posts anymore. :p

• Members
Originally posted by llc55

:D

I knew I would make enemies.

But why should I care and respond... you guys are not seeing my posts anymore.
:p

Nah, I won't try to write you out of the universe by hiding your replies-- I respect diversity, bub.

Some people hate Zappa... but the man recorded so much material I would argue there's a Zappa solo out there for everybody. I've converted a LOT of haters with "Pink Napkins," fer instance.

• Members

llc55, Nik, Ronzo II, ollenorin, halcyon360, papa taco, quesoreuso, Mikoo69, Sir H C, Fingermush, skr3ddy, filip222, Blungo, danceatron, TIKIROCKER, sh333, Dreampop6279, kkyle, Bruno, Godin73, Godot, catalinbread, gr8fuldodd, desertlimosine, freeRadical, floyd, Nubly, 89strat, gregovertone, ianshaw, 66_skylark, drmanbear, ZeroFiveFour, Man In space, SASQUATCH, capnbringdown, birt, RockNote, Last Nerve, joe_lechuza, Purplexi, earthuerm, Pott, dan-o-guitar, Gearhunter, Redfox777, DonaldDemon, D34dBaWx, protoge x, Allblue, gtrwiz, light years, murphj1, inscho, mattc41, Mr. Bungle, StratOLounger, jackpotjewell, tocs100, walk_through_wa, KEB, neoflox, 48729zjd, Coach, KaBudokan, bullet, utterhack, gproud5150, fourthave_cafe, hornet135, alteredsounds, NiCkMiLnE, velvet touch, befey, mmb, 70'sguitarman, endo23, PurpleStrat, sense_of_henry, beezdeez, magentaplacenta, whowasthursday, nomoretablejeef, mrsoul, erksin, Bob-Rock, jakepaul1)

for every "worst" guitarist you list you should provide a Favorite or "Superior" guitarists name for reference. So we can be enlightened too

• Members

Nah, I won't try to write you out of the universe by hiding your replies-- I respect diversity, bub.

Some people hate Zappa... but the man recorded so much material I would argue there's a Zappa solo out there for everybody. I've converted a LOT of haters with "Pink Napkins," fer instance.

Just kidding, dude. ;)

I'm not exactly a hater. Just don't understand the hype, based on what I already heard from his work.

I guess it happens in similar way with Clapton... people hear he is/was the guitar god and then don't find anything outstanding in his material that could justify his fame.

I'll try your suggestion.

• Members

Clapton and Zappa are WORLDS apart.

I find Clapton boring (with the exception of his playing on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps") and totally conventional. He's a blues guy with nice vibrato. Meh.

Zappa was anything but-- a relentless experimenter, you'd be hard pressed to name anyone with a wider array of tones and styles. He could be totally schizoid or play the most beautiful melodies ("Watermelon in Easter Hay"). And the best part is, Zappa thought of himself as a "mediocre" guitarist, while Clapton, well... we all know what he thinks.

• Members

He's a blues guy with nice vibrato. Meh.

But there's nothing wrong with it, right? I dig very different styles of music, but I end up enjoying more those simple tricks from Kossoff and Angus than most of the so-called fancy stuff. But nothing against fancy stuff. Don't get me wrong.

I agree with you regarding Clapton being anything but humble, though.

I didn't compare both.

Archived