Worst guitarist in rock? heheheh

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i smell a nirvana refernce on page one....

so here it goes

STEVE JONES.... Thats why they got syd to play bass... to make Steve took like he could actually play.

Jimmy page also played seemingly at the very edge of his capabilities, and came off as sloppy quite a bit to me.

I actually love terrible guitar players though.

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

i smell a nirvana refernce on page one....

so here it goes

STEVE JONES.... Thats why they got syd to play bass... to make Steve took like he could actually play.

Jimmy page also played seemingly at the very edge of his capabilities, and came off as sloppy quite a bit to me.

I actually love terrible guitar players though.

You smell alot of Nirvana refernces don't you?;)
I thought of Steve Jones to but didn't say it.

• Members

What's the criteria for best and worst? Mr. Poopsicle says "any shredder", but its usually the "shredders" that win the Guitar Player polls. What's wrong with having good command over your instrument anyway? I can't think of any instrument or any style of music other than pop where you don't encounter fast playing - classical, jazz, bluegrass, etc.

• Members

Donning Nomex suit:
Tony Iommi - That stuff sounds like bbbbbaaaaddd garage band rock that I would be embarrassed to play/listen to. I can't believe he and Sabbath ever made it out of the garage. Proof positive that drugs do cause brain damage.

• Members

Originally posted by jeverist

What's the criteria for best and worst? Mr. Poopsicle says "any shredder", but its usually the "shredders" that win the Guitar Player polls. What's wrong with having good command over your instrument anyway? I can't think of any instrument or any style of music other than pop where you don't encounter fast playing - classical, jazz, bluegrass, etc.

There's no criteria on HCFX other than arbitrary personal preference. Re: shredding, there's nothing wrong with having command over your instrument, but once you do, forget about that and be MUSICAL, fer Chrissakes. Too many shredders just play lightning speed licks to no end, which is not only masturbatory but annoying to listen to. It's music only guitarists can love, which is myopic and, IMO, pointless.

While it's true that you encounter "fast playing" in classical and jazz, you also encounter SPACE, which is the essential element many shredders forget. Well, that and SOUL.

Good shredder: Buckethead

Bad shredder: Too many to list

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

There's no criteria on HCFX other than arbitrary personal preference. Re: shredding, there's nothing wrong with having command over your instrument, but once you do, forget about that and be MUSICAL, fer Chrissakes. Too many shredders just play lightning speed licks to no end, which is not only masturbatory but annoying to listen to. It's music only guitarists can love, which is myopic and, IMO, pointless.

While it's true that you encounter "fast playing" in classical and jazz, you also encounter SPACE, which is the essential element many shredders forget. Well, that and SOUL.

Good shredder: Buckethead

Bad shredder: Too many to list

Amen. Now please go post that in the Amp Forum!:wave::p

Archived