I love surf music!

inscho

• Members

I have been listening to The Ventures, Dick Dale, Man or Astroman, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, and the Beach Boys... it is so good.

How should I go about tackling the surf style? an recommended songs...any techniques I need to brush up on?

Surf lovers unite!

ventures.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by StratStevo

0217500000_xl.jpg

yup.

mandolin-style picking is a must--esp for D.Dale songs! it took me a while to learn; for me it was all in the pick. supporting the pick toward the back w/ my middle finger gave me a lot more control.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

yup.

mandolin-style picking is a must--esp for D.Dale songs! it took me a while to learn; for me it was all in the pick. supporting the pick toward the back w/ my middle finger gave me a lot more control.

Yar. Not gonna get any closer than this.

Edit: Arg...that was supposed to be a replay of the Fender reverb...its too late for quotes methinks.

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

the theme to endless summer? I will have to check that out!

Hell, watch the movie. You should be able to pick it up at any movie place. Legendary stuff. Classic 60's documentary for the search of "the perfect wave." Even if you aren't a surfer, you will appreciate the beauty of riding waves.

Gary Hoey (?) did the theme. Check him out for more tunes.

• Members

Originally posted by beezdeez

Hell, watch the movie. You should be able to pick it up at any movie place. Legendary stuff. Classic 60's documentary for the search of "the perfect wave." Even if you aren't a surfer, you will appreciate the beauty of riding waves.

+1 Great movie. Some incredible footage. Damn, I'm going to have to pick it up on DVD now methinks, it hasn't been on TV in well over a year around here. And it has great music throughout.

• Members
Originally posted by Wilbo26

+1 Great movie. Some incredible footage. Damn, I'm going to have to pick it up on DVD now methinks, it hasn't been on TV in well over a year around here. And it has great music throughout.

Bruce Brown's voice is very calming. :o

I used to watch 1 and 2 all the time as a kid. I love how they trek across the desert in Africa and find this cape that has a peeling right all the way down the beach. Then they go back to it in the second E.S. and some housing development was put up and it ruins the wave and sand bar simply by messing with the surrounding sand dunes.

Surfing is my number 1 passion.

• Members

I liked Riding Giants better.

• Members

I only bring 1 band name and a lead to a band you should check out.

one band is named Yawning Man. They're a sorta surf/stoner rock mix.

The other band is named something like Daikatsu (i know thats wrong) and they all wear asian warrior masks but they play some MEAN surf. Somebody else here can give you the name, or if I find it here in the next 10 mins I'll give you an update.

edit: Their name is Daikaiju...i was kind of close.

• Members

Originally posted by booher

You need a damned good slapback on top of that 'Verb. But, personally, I'd just got with a Holy Grail over those fenders. I've heard the quality of them is shoddy.

Well, let's see if your Holy Grail is still around in 41 years (mine's an original '65 with the original pan and tubes)...

• Members

I think Gary Hoey could'nt have been more than 2-3 years old in 1964.:D The Sandals did the original soundtrack,while Hoey worked on Endless Summer 2. Another great surf move,with great surf music throughout both.
Bruce Brown makes fantastic movies,His "On any Sunday" is another timeless classic.:thu:

edit to change a couple of adj.

• Members
:thu:

Big fan of surf rock!

All you need is tremolo picking, lush reverb, single coils, whammy bar and a Fender style amp and you're off. Incidentally, my Rivera M60 does a great surf sound.

My band does a cover of Dick Dale's Miserlou (Pulp Fiction), Walk Don't Run by the Ventures, Bang Bang by Nancy Sinatra, and some original surf songs we wrote. It always get's a good reaction when we throw them in our sets.;)

I would also say check out The Surfaris. Their newer album is a remake of old songs and the production is outstanding.

Archived