inscho

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by DonaldDemon

:thu:

Big fan of surf rock!

All you need is tremolo picking, lush reverb, single coils, whammy bar and a Fender style amp and you're off. Incidentally, my Rivera M60 does a great surf sound.

pardon my ignorance, what is tremolo picking?

• Members
Originally posted by Aster Blistok

also would like to ride the waves but we don't have ocean waves here in adriatic
:(

I hear ya. Memphis is about 8 1/2 hours from any from any large body of water...:cry:

• Members
Originally posted by onbongos

going back and forth on one string as fast as possible, it sounds like a tremolo effect, kinda

yeah sort of. It's just the style of picking that most surf players use where they alternate pick very fast. think Dick Dale, he is the man at it.

I wouldn't say that it gives you a tremolo effect though :confused:

Oh and I surf as well if that counts. I live in NJ though and we get too may flat spells.:mad:

• Members
Originally posted by inscho

is that a vintage jet? Because thats my next amp acquisition.
:love:

Nope - it's a 1965 Reverberocket with 7591A power tubes (a higher headroom/output tube than a 6V6 - BIG cleans for a small amp)...

Jets are killer amps, what version are you looking at (there were MANY)..?

• Members
Originally posted by erksin

Nope - it's a 1965 Reverberocket with 7591A power tubes (a higher headroom/output tube than a 6V6 - BIG cleans for a small amp)...

Jets are killer amps, what version are you looking at (there were MANY)..?

nice! I had the reissue reverbrocket...I'm sure it pales in comparison, but it was very nice for the coin....

I haven't done enough research on them to have single it down to one version.

any info you can provide?:)

• Members

nice! I had the reissue reverbrocket...I'm sure it pales in comparison, but it was very nice for the coin....

I haven't done enough research on them to have single it down to one version.

any info you can provide?
:)

Jets are basically Reverberockets without reverb - there were about 4-5 variations of the 'blue check' early/mid '60s amps. Basically, you need to just decide on which tube compliment you're looking for as it has a pretty dramatic effect on the tone. The early ones were 6V6 powered with 6-series preamp tubes and 5Y3 rectos (tweedy sounding), mid '60s amps had 7868s or 7591/7591As for power tubes with 12-series preamps and SS rectos (MUCH cleaner and louder).

• Members

Jets are basically Reverberockets without reverb - there were about 4-5 variations of the 'blue check' early/mid '60s amps. Basically, you need to just decide on which tube compliment you're looking for as it has a pretty dramatic effect on the tone. The early ones were 6V6 powered with 6-series preamp tubes and 5Y3 rectos (tweedy sounding), mid '60s amps had 7868s or 7591/7591As for power tubes with 12-series preamps and SS rectos (MUCH cleaner and louder).

oh I thought the jets had a tremolo and reverb, if thats not the case then I want a reverberocket :thu:

• Members

oh I thought the jets had a tremolo and reverb, if thats not the case then I want a reverberocket
:thu:

Well, you could look into a Reverb-o-Jet or Super Jet - they came later (late 60s/early 70s)...

Pick up a copy of Ampeg - The Story Behind The Sound. Tons of Ampeg info and really helps to clarify all the models and the changes made over the years. Suffice to say, the reissues are NOTHING like the originals - completely different amps soundwise...

• Members

Well, you could look into a Reverb-o-Jet or Super Jet - they came later (late 60s/early 70s)...

Pick up a copy of Ampeg - The Story Behind The Sound. Tons of Ampeg info and really helps to clarify all the models and the changes made over the years. Suffice to say, the reissues are NOTHING like the originals - completely different amps soundwise...

I guess I was thinking of the super jet. Time to do some research :cool:

thanks for the info!

• Members

+10000000

i love surf. i swear, inscho. from all your posts i have seen we have the most similar tastes in music. byrds, surf, beatles, beach boys among other things. this is stuff that i listen to all the time.

anyway, i have a fender cij jazzmaster and a 72 twin reverb. i bought both basically because of my love for surf. if you havent already heard it check out the ventures live in 65 album. its amazing. they use no reverb, strangley enough. but instead use mosrites with overdriven tone that just sounds so incredible. one of my favorite guitar sounds. im playing with some guys right now and we are doing sockhop style 50's covers. bill haley, buddy holly, early beatles, sonics, penguins, etc.
we are playing a couple surf songs but im wanting to play a show of just surf tunes.

Tim

• Members
Originally posted by archimedes

+10000000

i love surf. i swear, inscho. from all your posts i have seen we have the most similar tastes in music. byrds, surf, beatles, beach boys among other things. this is stuff that i listen to all the time.

anyway, i have a fender cij jazzmaster and a 72 twin reverb. i bought both basically because of my love for surf. if you havent already heard it check out the ventures live in 65 album. its amazing. they use no reverb, strangley enough. but instead use mosrites with overdriven tone that just sounds so incredible. one of my favorite guitar sounds. im playing with some guys right now and we are doing sockhop style 50's covers. bill haley, buddy holly, early beatles, sonics, penguins, etc.

we are playing a couple surf songs but im wanting to play a show of just surf tunes.

Tim

very cool! :cool:

I have two ventures albums on vinyl and I am constantly looking for more, I will have to check out that live album, its sounds great!

I am starting up a project with a group of guys that do beach boy harmonies with a surfy/indie/rock guitar...they are incredible.

• Members

bump cuz I loves it so
:love:

:D:wave:

I loves me some surf. Man or Astroman was the only thing I would listen to for like... six months. I've been thinking about throwing some lipstick pickups into my Strat.

Theres an indie band in Detroit that you may want to check out. They sound kind of like a surf-punk holocaust. They're great fun live. The recordings don't really do them justice.

Heres a link: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=783797

• Members
Originally posted by CicadaSilence

:D:wave:

I loves me some surf. Man or Astroman was the only thing I would listen to for like... six months. I've been thinking about throwing some lipstick pickups into my Strat.

Theres an indie band in Detroit that you may want to check out. They sound kind of like a surf-punk holocaust. They're great fun live. The recordings don't really do them justice.

Heres a link:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=783797

funky...

i like :)

• Members

SURF DARKNESS~!!

Mister Loveless
I think they sound like Joy Division mixed with surfing. Well not necessarily a combination like that but you get the idea.

Check out Fair Warning and Friends from the North as well as their youtube vids!:thu:

It's surftacilar. I just hope that people would like this stuff.

Archived