Rig Downsizing Advice Needed!

inscho

• Members
Originally posted by StratAtak83

WHat about keeping the dl4, it oscillates and has an OK analog setting..put that expression pedal to work ..

I don't like the tones of the dl4's delays, I like the volume swell and thats about it, I was using it for looping, which I won't realistically be using live. I initially bought it because I got an excellent deal on it, not because I needed or particularly wanted it.

and I'm trying to simplify things, so I don't get distracted with all the pretty knobs....I don't have much will-power :cry:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He doesn't need modulation or stereo, and he wants awesome oscillation... so the ML is out... I really think the Maxon AD999 (or 900 if you insist) has the features you want in the smallest possible package, and for a reasonable price.

The MOOG is just silly expensive and dark-sounding, IMO.

EDIT If you want to spend some dough, buy a frickin' Manecolooper and call it a day. There's your digital delay, analog-sound, crazy-oscillating, looping, all-in-one madness machine.

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

He doesn't need modulation or stereo, and he wants awesome oscillation... so the ML is out... I really think the Maxon AD999 (or 900 if you insist) has the features you want in the smallest possible package, and for a reasonable price.

The MOOG is just silly expensive and dark-sounding, IMO.

EDIT
If you want to spend some dough, buy a frickin' Manecolooper and call it a day. There's your digital delay, analog-sound, crazy-oscillating, looping, all-in-one madness machine.

haha...yeah I am sold on the maxon...

now its time to figure out wah pedals....:cool:

• Members

Are you sold on a fuzz yet ?

I kinda miss my Fuzz Factory ... I wanna trade my ultra fuzz for one ..

:thu:

well I am currently looking at the skreddy mayo, with the flat mids switch its looking pretty good.

I wish I could demo a fuzz factory, because I like the thought of a small fuzz with a lot of options, but at the same time it may prove to be infuriating :)

and the fuzz factory doesn't follow with my theme of simplicity.

• Members
Originally posted by inscho

well I am currently looking at the skreddy mayo, with the flat mids switch its looking pretty good.

I wish I could demo a fuzz factory, because I like the thought of a small fuzz with a lot of options, but at the same time it may prove to be infuriating
:)

Yeah i wanna cop a Mayo too ..

I just wanna give the FF another try . The whole time i had it , i used it trying to get conventional fuzz tones. Thats a big no no .. :idea:

Oh hows the jazzmaster working out ?

• Members

Yeah i wanna cop a Mayo too ..

I just wanna give the FF another try . The whole time i had it , i used it trying to get conventional fuzz tones. Thats a big no no ..
:idea:

Oh hows the jazzmaster working out ?

yeah I want pretty standard fuzz tones...so ff is probably not up my alley.

the jazzmaster is fantastic, it plays and sounds better than all of my other guitars!

• Members

yeah I want pretty standard fuzz tones...so ff is probably not up my alley.

the jazzmaster is fantastic, it plays and sounds better than all of my other guitars!

Thats great .. I'm keeping mine on the bench for a few weeks, to test drive a new tele I have and jag thats on the way ..

So far the tele is off the hook ..

• Members

How much do you use the tu-2 during a gig? I mean, is this your tuner that just happens to be a pedal tuner, or do you need it to switch. If it was me, I'd completely kick this off my board and not replace it, but I don't switch tunings either. A qwiktune does it for me (cheap thrills).

ph1r/pulsar - seems like these should go if they're not being used

delay - I would say keep the dd-20. Like you, I'm pretty much only using my dd-20 for one setting, and occasionly the reverse, but it has quite a few options that might be there in the future. The ad900 ad999 look kewl but pricey. I'd skip the memory lane (too pricey, not enough delay time) and the dmm (delay time goes way down with modulation, big, can be unhappy with your rig, basically Howard Davis told me on tgp that you'd have to mod the {censored} out of the pedal for it to be useable). I personally don't think the dd-20 sounds that bad, and since the main options are way more expensive then it, you might want to consider picking up a cheap analog delay for self-oscillation purposes only, and leave all your main delays to the dd-20. Also, don't discount self-oscillating flangers. That might be the right piece of modulation for you, and the oscillations sound nice.

dl-4 - get rid of this thing before it breaks down. Either use the volume knob on your guitar, a volume pedal (which a good idea anyways), or one of those guyatone slow gear rip-offs (I thought about this one). I also think byoc was making one, but have no clue if they're out yet or about the price.

If you like the drivetrain, keep it. I've never played one and am not big on od pedals, but diffr'nt strokes and all.

If you're unhappy with your current big muff, getting another variant might not be the best solution, though I do have a mayo with the toggle on its way (can't wait, but its far off for me). If you want something less modern, either get a fuzz face or a tonebender clone. I'd probably go with si. I also have an icbm that's pretty thick, but when you crank the tone knob, it gets to the nasty, nasily fuzz sound, which I found a little too displeasing at the moment. I might suggest the bee-baa, but it gets pretty nasily at times too and leaves a Paul Bunyan sized mark.

As far as wah pedals go, you might want to consider getting the fox wah retrofit installed into one. I currently use a crybaby classic that doesn't fair too bad before my fuzz. The trick here is to crank the mids and roll the treble off on the guitar to get more of a honk, but if you're going to use a fuzz face, you'd probably have to get the retrofit. You could also move the wah afterwards, but that changes the sound and you can't leave the wah in a fixed position and get good results.

I'm going to have to downsize pretty soon, too, but I have a lot of {censored} coming in to play with first, though htere's nothing wrong with having two rigs. :D

• Members

you insult me...I spit on your mother
:mad:

I am content with my overdrive, why would I change it if I like it? I have been trying OD pedals out for years...

I don't need any fancy smancy effects, I am pretty barebones......at least when I am playing live(which is all I really care about)...the red witch phaser sounds heavenly, but it would ultimately end up collecting dust.

I will look into the sunface, although the mayo with the external switch for the mids is looking pretty damn good right now.

and why the ad900 over the ad999?

Sorry man I didn't read the rest of the thread before posting this.

Get the sunface if you want a real classic fuzz.. The mayo is a lot more modern with or without the mids.. It is still muff voiced, which apparently you aren't going for.

If you don't want anything fancy, then no phaser I guess. I personally don't use anything fancy either, but I just thought a phaser would be cool for the kind of music you play.

The AD900 uses some better parts (as others described) but you could get away with the 999 if you couldn't find a 900, for sure. Especially if you have any plans on going stereo.

As for OD.. If it is doing it for you, fine. I've never heard it, so I wouldn't know. But it never hurt to have a few ODs or "flavors" to choose from. Join the Lovepedal club. :thu:

• Members

I wish I could demo a fuzz factory, because I like the thought of a small fuzz with a lot of options, but at the same time it may prove to be infuriating

The Fuzz Factory IS infuriating, I just got it, and am already thinking of selling it. It has amazing versatility, but it's hard to get the same sounds twice.

Sorry Mr. Vex.

• Members

For wahs try a teese wizard wah, a mutron vol/wah or a zvex wah probe.

I know this sounds like a tangent, but a zvex super hard on could be a good addition. It will improve the clarity and cut of your big muff when placed after it and gives you a tuner out so that you needn't have the TU2 in the signal path.

Archived