Rig Downsizing Advice Needed!

inscho

• Members

OK.

Fuzz-- If you're willing to spend a bit, check out Skreddy's stuff. I'd investigate the TOP FUEL, since it's one of the few Muff-type vintage fuzzes to accentuate MIDS. (I would say get a Fuzz Factory, but you've already expressed an aversion to knob-twisting, so...)

Delay-- The Maxon AD999 IS True Bypass (the 900 is not), sounds beautiful, and oscillates like a mother. Got mine on the 'bay for $220. Patience will bring you a deal, if you're willing to wait. If not, the DMM is the king of analog delay... you think you don't need modulation, but trust me, once you hear it... However, it's a space hog.

:thu:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by 48729zjd

Used Maxon AD80? Voodoo Lab Trem? MXR Phaser? Skreddy Mayo for Fuzz?

I'm not looking another trem or phaser, the ad80 doesn't oscillate, and I thought the mayo doesn't have a lot of mids...

you don't listen very well :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by BmoreTele

analog delay - 500 ms - self oscillates - no modulation needed....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

the only analog delays with at least 500 ms are the Memory Lane, EHX DMM, EchoCzar, Moog, Maxon AD900/999, and the old Carl Martin DeLayla - a pretty pricey bunch (you can usually get a pretty good deal on the DMM's) and not the smallest of pedals. The Maxons and the DeLayla are NOT TB. The old DMM's aren't either, but the new ones are.

I'd suggest either settle for 300 ms and get an Arion SAD-1 or a Boss DM2, or get the Ibanez DE7. The DE7 is digital but it has an excellent analog sound and is one of the most controllable out of control self oscillators I have played.

:wave:

I have to have at least 350ms. so maybe the maxon line is the way to go?

price isn't really an issue, since I will be selling a lot of these pedals off to fund the new purchases (see spam thread)

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

OK.

Fuzz-- If you're willing to spend a bit, check out Skreddy's stuff. I'd investigate the TOP FUEL, since it's one of the few Muff-type vintage fuzzes to accentuate MIDS. (I would say get a Fuzz Factory, but you've already expressed an aversion to knob-twisting, so...)

Delay-- The Maxon AD999
IS
True Bypass (the 900 is not), sounds beautiful, and oscillates like a mother. Got mine on the 'bay for $220. Patience will bring you a deal, if you're willing to wait. If not, the DMM is the king of analog delay... you think you don't need modulation, but trust me, once you hear it... However, it's a space hog.

:thu:

yeah I'm checking out the skreddy line now...isn't the top fuel more of a distortion sounding fuzz? I may go with a fuzz factory because it offers me a variety of sounds...I could find the sound I want and the glue the knobs in place :D jk

I have owned a memory man in the past its good, but big and I don't want the modulation. so I am thinking the ad999 is the way to go and I can easily afford that after I get rid of the dl4....it has a 900ms delay time correct?

• Members
Originally posted by inscho

I'm not looking another trem or phaser, the ad80 doesn't oscillate, and I thought the mayo doesn't have a lot of mids...

you don't listen very well

so the only thing that I really want to keep is the reverend drivetrain.
:cry:

So what are you looking for? It seems like the only thing you really want is another delay? :confused:

• Members

Ditch the tuner, phaser, trem, big muff (though that thing looks pretty cool) and pick-up a Peterson Strobostomp and some kind of replacement fuzz. There are plenty of Muff-esque options that might suit you, like a rat (plenty more mids there) or one of the Skreddy fuzzes (flat-mid mayo, perhaps).

• Members

Yeah, 900 fat ones. Pretty amazing, though the repeats are far from crystal clear on the longer settings.

But hey, that's what analog does best.

The Top Fuel can sound like a distortion, but it's based on the Muff circuit so I'm assuming it gets fuzzy as well. Check with Skreddy. You could also get a Mayo with Flat Mids, which would probably be enough, especially compared to the scooped sound of a standard BM.

• Members

So what are you looking for? It seems like the only thing you really want is another delay?
:confused:

I am ditching everything except the drivetrain buying a strobostomp and am looking for a delay, a fuzz with mids, and a wah.

• Members

I am ditching everything except the drivetrain buying a strobostomp and am looking for a delay, a fuzz with mids, and a wah.

BTW, you can get the Skreddy Mayo with switchable mids now, but since you really want a middy fuzz, get a hold of a Top Fuel and maybe a Vox wah to go with the Fuzz? :wave:

EDIT: Missed the delay again! :mad:
Okay,
I'd say go for the DMM like Mumford and a few others have mentioned already. I know you said you weren't into the whole modulation thing, but it would be good to have around just in case you want to get into it later, plus it's got some other tricks as well.

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

Yeah, 900 fat ones. Pretty amazing, though the repeats are far from crystal clear on the longer settings.

But hey, that's what analog does best.

The Top Fuel can sound like a distortion, but it's based on the Muff circuit so I'm assuming it gets fuzzy as well. Check with Skreddy. You could also get a Mayo with Flat Mids, which would probably be enough, especially compared to the scooped sound of a standard BM.

yeah I want a delay thats kinda mushy so the ad999 sounds like my cup of tea.

• Members

BTW, you can get the Skreddy Mayo with switchable mids now, but since you really want a middy fuzz, get a hold of a Top Fuel and maybe a Vox wah to go with the Fuzz?

EDIT: Missed the delay again!
:mad:
Okay,

I'd say go for the DMM like Mumford and a few others have mentioned already. I know you said you weren't into the whole modulation thing, but it would be good to have around just in case you want to get into it later, plus it's got some other tricks as well.

I forgot about the switchable mids option on the mayos now...that sounds like a good option...are there any other clips around other than the one of skreddy's site?

and I appreciate everyone's suggestions!

• Members

Dang, just looked up and you don't want the DMM. Get the Maxon I guess. Seems like you've had your mind made up about that already though. *shrugs*

I kinda did, but I have never played it before and wanted to see what everyone else thought.

• Members

I kinda did, but I have never played it before and wanted to see what everyone else thought.

No probs. BTW, I'm kind of slow today if you didn't already notice. :wave:

• Members

Maxon AD900
Analogman Sunface

Maybe get a different OD, too.. Or one in addition to, to expand your horizons, There are plenty of amazing ODs out there.

Also, maybe you don't use phaser because you don't like the boss, and you don't even know it. Try a GREAT phaser like the Red Witch.

Ditch the trem, especially since you have the amp.

• Members
Originally posted by DJLantz444

Maxon AD900

Analogman Sunface

Maybe get a different OD, too.. Or one in addition to, to expand your horizons, There are plenty of amazing ODs out there.

Also, maybe you don't use phaser because you don't like the boss, and you don't even know it. Try a GREAT phaser like the Red Witch.

Ditch the trem, especially since you have the amp.

you insult me...I spit on your mother :mad:

I am content with my overdrive, why would I change it if I like it? I have been trying OD pedals out for years...

I don't need any fancy smancy effects, I am pretty barebones......at least when I am playing live(which is all I really care about)...the red witch phaser sounds heavenly, but it would ultimately end up collecting dust.

I will look into the sunface, although the mayo with the external switch for the mids is looking pretty damn good right now.

and why the ad900 over the ad999?

Archived