Rig Downsizing Advice Needed!

inscho

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by inscho

endo,

although the ad900 is not TB is there any noticeable signal loss?

also can the ad900/999 run off of a dc brick?

There's a tiny bit. I never noticed it at gigging levels but people who have A/B'd them always mention it.

The AD999 is TB, and there's no signal loss. People say it doesn't sound quite as sweet at the 900 (which used Japanese chips as opposed to the new Chinese BBDs). I say the difference is negligible and I'll take the 999's TB/Stereo/900 ms over the AD900. I think the love for the 900 is mostly mojo hype.

YMMV, but you're really never gonna know unless you shell out the bucks for a used 900. I'd start with the 999 if I was you.

Oh, and both pedals have wall warts... but the 999 runs on 9V so you may be able to use it with a DC brick... but CHECK WITH MAXON FIRST. Otherwise you may blow a fuse and void the warranty.

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

Strobostomp-->Analogman Sunface-->Reverend Drivetrain-->Catalinbread Semaphore Trem-->Maxon AD900 Delay.

Now shut up and dance.

:mad:

*jig*

again, why the ad900 over the ad999?

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

There's a tiny bit. I never noticed it at gigging levels but people who have A/B'd them always mention it.

The AD999 is TB, and there's no signal loss. People say it doesn't sound quite as sweet at the 900 (which used Japanese chips as opposed to the new Chinese BBDs). I say the difference is negligible and I'll take the 999's TB/Stereo/900 ms over the AD900. I think the love for the 900 is mostly mojo hype.

YMMV, but you're really never gonna know unless you shell out the bucks for a used 900. I'd start with the 999 if I was you.

Oh, and both pedals have wall warts... but the 999 runs on 9V so you may be able to use it with a DC brick... but CHECK WITH MAXON FIRST. Otherwise you may blow a fuse and void the warranty.

gotta sell some gear first. thanks for your insight, it is much appreciated!

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

I was able to power a 999 from a Boss daisy chain without causing harm to the pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by Headlow

I was able to power a 999 from a Boss daisy chain without causing harm to the pedal.

Headlow, great to know... I may try to hook it up to my pedalboard's power supply, then... would be super convenient if I didn't have to haul another wall wart around.

• Members

if the ad9 had more than 300ms it would be up for consideration, I use my delay 75% of the time at 350ms
:cry:

I think there is an internal trimmer inside the pedal to adjust the available delay pedal. However, I've read somewhere that the more you increase the delay time the more muddy the pedal will become. But some people may like that.

• Members

Originally posted by Headlow

I think there is an internal trimmer inside the pedal to adjust the available delay pedal. However, I've read somewhere that the more you increase the delay time the more muddy the pedal will become. But some people may like that.

Thats right .. more time tweaked, more mud..

• Members

how much time can be added?

++

Not sure , i tweaked it for a minute, then brought it back to stock .. never used it again . then sold it ..

it was a vintage one as well .

THe ibanez cd10 is a real sleeper analog , warm and oscillates like magic ..

but you want more than 300ms ..

• Members

Originally posted by StratAtak83

++

Not sure , i tweaked it for a minute, then brought it back to stock .. never used it again . then sold it ..

it was a vintage one as well .

THe ibanez cd10 is a real sleeper analog , warm and oscillates like magic ..

but you want more than 300ms ..

ah ok, thanks for that info....looks like an ad900/999 is the only way to go.

• Members

Originally posted by StratAtak83

Moog = not lots

I hear its pretty dark for a delay though.

I heard some clips of it, its sounded pretty good to me. It may be an option if the maxons don't live up to my expectations.

• Members

I heard some clips of it, its sounded pretty good to me. It may be an option if the maxons don't live up to my expectations.

WHat about keeping the dl4, it oscillates and has an OK analog setting..put that expression pedal to work ..

Archived