fish n chips or mxr 10 band?

voivod

• Members

Originally posted by voivod

I'm thinking of either one of these,is there really a noticeable diffrence? THanks!!

I like the reg old' BOSS GE7 but many people swear by the "chips", esspecially for what you can get it for used..(like $14.99). If I was in the market for an EQ I would prol' at least check out a chips for starters.

• Members

Fish n' Chips does everything you need an EQ to do, and nothing you don't. Clean, quiet, reliable, blah blah blah. All for pocket change.

Maybe if you're an ogre, stomping around the countryside, swinging uprooted saplings, and swilling six packs of babies, you may have a legitimate cause for concern about the F&C's "durability", and in such a case, I would advise gettting the MXR for the more durable enclosure. I have no idea about it's sound quality/noise issues, if any.

Otherwise, the Dano is just about perfect for an EQ.

• Members

I have both and if they were the same price obviously I'd go with the boss because of better construction and more bands to taylor your sound but I had them in the loop of my jcm 800 and I couldn't tell the difference between them. Sturdier than I thought it'd be too. I'd go with the Fish and Chips for sure.

• Members

I got both a Boss GE-7 running in the loop and a fish and chips in front, they are both 7 band Eq. I got them both at the same price (I got the GE-7 used). I like them both, neither is noisy and they do what they are suposed to. I am pretty heavy (195 lbs) and I haven't destroyed the dano yet, maybe if I get drunk and really stump on it, but then again I like locking in with the drummer and you just can't play tight while drunk (or I can't... )

• Members

I think the fish'n'chips is a much better EQ than the boss GE7.

I know its made of plastic but mine has always held up well, and compared to my GE7 which sat in my closet most all the time the F'n'C is actually quiet and transparent even at high gain and high sound levels.

I tried to use the GE7 but ended up giving it to a friend.

I traded my first F'n'C EQ, and when I went hunting for another I did go check out the MXR 10 band, and while Im sure the MXR will give you slightly finer control and a sturdy housing - I still went with the F'n'C because I know how well it operates and how sturdy it is.

I would only need a metal housing in a pedal if the big bad wolf already blew down my plastic ones!

seriously though its a great EQ. my dumbass traded my 2nd one and recently got one through a trade or sale here @ FX forum. ill never let this one go and I sing ballads to it letting it know just how much it means to me. if it had a slightly bigger hole in it...............................mmmmmm plastic love :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Happy_Thom

I love the F&C - however this thing has never left my house and jsut recently the power supply bit has becopme iffy and sometimes doesn't works whne plugged in.

I love mine too, but I'm actually having the exact opposite problem. Whenever I use it with a battery it makes this rising shrieking noise when its engaged. On my One spot it's totally fine.

• Members

I have an F & C on my pedal board and love it. I always turn my board on first and that stops the shriek in my amp. Of all my pedals, I have to say this was the best money spent on improving the sound of my rig.

I know it has a plastic body and not built like a tank. I have secured with two sided and usually it's always on so I'm not stomping on it.

If you're going stomp on it a lot you may wish buy one with a metal body, but if your like me and leave it on all the time it should last a very long time.

• Members

Originally posted by TDLock

I love mine too, but I'm actually having the exact opposite problem. Whenever I use it with a battery it makes this rising shrieking noise when its engaged. On my One spot it's totally fine.

have you tried a fresh battery, right out of the package? vs. something pulled from another pedal?

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

have you tried a fresh battery, right out of the package? vs. something pulled from another pedal?

Yeah, first thing I tried, but to no avail.

Cheap batteries, expensive, fresh, half dead. No discernable difference to that horrible shrill noise. Actually had my F&C sitting on the shelf since the noise first became an issue, but on the offchance pulled it out when I got my one spot, and it worked, no worries. I got no idea whats up with it. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by TDLock

Yeah, first thing I tried, but to no avail.

Cheap batteries, expensive, fresh, half dead. No discernable difference to that horrible shrill noise. Actually had my F&C sitting on the shelf since the noise first became an issue, but on the offchance pulled it out when I got my one spot, and it worked, no worries. I got no idea whats up with it.
:confused:

hmm... there'd been other forumites that'd reported the squeel prob, it was always resolved w/fresh batts (or power supply). i'd suggest sending it abck to dano/evets corp for a replacement, but i dunno if shipping makes it feasable..... :confused:

• Members

i have both, i use the MXR for dialing in my amp to my guitar, its on permanently, without this i would not have my "sound".

The fish n chips is not the kind of EQ where you can acheive the same type sound as the MXR. I use the fish n chips for a quick lead boost, or to boost the mids, or cut mids.

If couldn't live without the MXR. At first i didn't reallize how important the MXR was, but now its priceless. And because you have so much adjustment in the high frequencies (you have FIVE BANDS above 1KHZ!!!) you can dial out ANY type of harshness, sizzle, spikes etc. without flattening out your sound or dulling it as you would with a GE7 or fish n chips. But i love having a 7 band for mid boosts or cuts though, or for dialing in/out bass on the fly :)

MXR is also VERY quiet, i use it for a volume boost from my preamp because turning the volume up on my preamp causes more noise than boosting the EQ volume

Archived