here is a song using 100% mono evolver keyboard

Awakened_Yeti

• Members

Here is a song i made using only the mono evolver keyboard. No other sound sources were used, and no effects, EQ, or dynamics processing was used (except for a bit of compression on the final mix for mastering purposes). Everything is raw evolver sounds, and no presets were used. For the drums, i made one shot samples, and loaded them into NI Battery as a kit to be triggered by MIDI - but no changes were made to the sounds themselves.

The Feathered Serpent

• Members

Sounds good. Were you using the Evolver's own sequencer? (no clue how good it is).

Seems like you favor the analog side over the digital? Most evolver sounds I hear from people seem to be analog based. The digital feedback is quite recognizable and you make good use of it, especially at the fast paced solo bit near the end.

Yeah, a cool track. It definitely has a distinctive sound I think. I guess a lot like the P5. Crisp, biting.

The thing I don't get is why Mr. Smith named it "evolver" because with such a name I would expect Wavestation+prophet VS X 100.

Do you like Battery by the way?

• Members

only used the internal sequencer for one sound during the middle portion.. i was going to do a section with all internally sequenced stuff, sort of an aleatoric madness type of thing.. but i didnt think it would be long enough to do it proper justice

so thats next project for solo evolver.. sequence upon sequence upon sequence, etc. etc. a whole track of it, schizo modulations and all that

• Members

Originally posted by Awakened_Yeti

only used the internal sequencer for one sound during the middle portion.. i was going to do a section with all internally sequenced stuff, sort of an aleatoric madness type of thing.. but i didnt think it would be long enough to do it proper justice

so thats next project for solo evolver.. sequence upon sequence upon sequence, etc. etc. a whole track of it, schizo modulations and all that

Does it store sequences... or you have to program and then record them one-at-a-time? I'm totally unfamiliar.

• Members

Originally posted by SaltyDogg

Does it store sequences... or you have to program and then record them one-at-a-time? I'm totally unfamiliar.

Each patch can store a 4-track, 16 step sequence. A lot of times a sequencer track is used to control parameters other than pitch, sort of like a step-LFO. But it can do pitch/gate stuff just fine, too. If you want to string together longer sequences, you basically just copy a patch over to other locations, edit each patch's sequence as necessary, and use program change messages to chain sequences.

• Members

it does require you to have a certain taste for its character, although on the whole i am able to get sounds that please me much more by programming myself - although many of the presets make good use of various features and are creatively done, they dont necessarily thrill me alot

also, evolver is probably the most finnicky synth ive ever used by far when it comes to gain structure and its effect on the final sound - if you want ultra smooth sounds you have to be careful not to push the internal amp too much - and if you want raw edginess you have to know how much to push it before it goes total ape{censored} or starts giving unwanted artifacts

but in general it is one of my all time favorites - i really like the hybrid sound.. and so much programming options its like a modular in a box

• Members

I think I would best describe the Evolver as "unruly". You're right, it's very easy to overdrive the signal path. This synth WANTS to be rude.

I'm thinking that a good way to tame this beastie would be to feed it through some decent outboad effects. I've got my eye on a FireworX for just this reason (well, that, and I really need a good effects box anyway).

• Members

Electric, what is it you don't like or are disappointed with about the PEK? I've had mine about a month or so, and I really enjoy sitting down and programming it....I still haven't gotten into hardcore seq programming or the combo mode, but I'm very happy with mine. It is very easy to make a patch sound unruly and loud, but I don't think it is too difficult to make gentler sounds either...those are actually the types of patches I tend to make.

Will listen to the mp3 later when I'm at home. I don't think the evolver is bad at making classic analog sounds at all.

• Members

Rouq, I think mostly my problem is that I've only just been tweaking the presets so far and haven't actually delved deep from scratch yet. I've got my honey-do list knocked-down, so I hope to rectify the situation this weekend and either learn to love this thing or consider selling it.

• Members

I love it. You make me want to get an Evolver. :) (Although I won't because I don't need to remind myself about how bad I am at designing own sounds)

I especially like the synthwork on the lead and the crazy-bug-out ending

Archived