9-pin Leslie question

• Members

Thanks Gus and MC- I'll just order another amphenol plug, I assume that involves soldering all 9 pins but I can't really tell without tearing it apart further. As I understand it I can just pay close attention to the pin #s and I won't blow anything up as is- I may do that just to try out my Speakeasy preamp with it. BTW I got a tube Leslie but that 760 still rocks, esp. with a good fat smooth organ like the Electro.

• Members

Yes, care is needed. You have line voltage present in the cable which can do considerable harm.

Many, many years ago, I came to the conclusion that it was electrically bad to have AC and audio present in the same unshielded cable. Now at first glance, this seems like a great idea that can be easily done. Get rid of all that hum that the sound man was continously complaining about. So, I disconnected the audio from the Leslie cable and sent it via its own cable. Hum was almost completely gone. Sound man loved it. The Hammond/Leslie sound changed considerably and not for the better. It took me a couple of gigs to realize that the 60 htz hum was an important element of the sound I had. I quickly reattached the audio in my Leslie cable. I was happy, my sound man not so happy.

Now, what I have always wanted to know is this: Was the AC/Audio packaged this way because of financial consideration and the sound a happy accidental result? I can't imagine an engineer allowing AC/Audio together without there being some reason for it.

Wes Taggart

Analogics

http://www.analogics.org/

Archived