so whats the story with george dennis pedals?

inscho

• Members

I have the trem and it sounds great. It has some nice features like the led pulses to the speed and best of all a volume control which can boost the signal nicely if needed. My only knocks on it are its size and the footswitch although the footswitch is OK once you get used to it and if you run batteries it will automatically switch to bypass if the battery dies. Also, its true bypass and built pretty solidly, although I'm not crazy about the jacks which don't seem to grip plugs as well as most others but they've never given me a problem.

If you can find a good deal on a used one its well worth it. New I would probably opt for the Semaphore as its not much more.

• Members

Originally posted by madhatter

I have the trem and it sounds great. It has some nice features like the led pulses to the speed and best of all a volume control which can boost the signal nicely if needed. My only knocks on it are its size and the footswitch although the footswitch is OK once you get used to it and if you run batteries it will automatically switch to bypass if the battery dies. Also, its true bypass and built pretty solidly, although I'm not crazy about the jacks which don't seem to grip plugs as well as most others but they've never given me a problem.

If you can find a good deal on a used one its well worth it. New I would probably opt for the Semaphore as its not much more.

awesome thanks for that info...have you tried any of the others?

• Members

I used to have the old green Phaser/Volume.

122fs596148.jpg

Had some knob travel issues with the depth pot though not stopping where it was supposed to...

122fs596337.jpg

122fs596422.jpg

So I'd make sure that if you do get something from him that it doesn't have any mechanical issues, at least with the duel function pedals.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by ice house

i have the orange gd 30 wah, if this thing was true bypass i would

put it up against anything! nice sweep, voicing etc! think i will have mr. blekas true bypass it!

I'll keep that in mind whilst deal hunting on ebay. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

not much talk on here about them.....the switch resembles those old school peaveys....

anyone tried them out?

The were often mentioned in the past. I've had:

The Tube

Wizard Blues (probably)

King Bee

Distorted Mind Blues

Those are the ones I remember at the moment. Also, the GD-30 wah is modeled in the zenTera.

I still have the Mighty Mouse

• Members

I had a GD30 for ages before it crapped out on me (some kind of power problem, still meaning to get if fixed). Sounded great, really liked the range and vocal quality etc.

I was looking to replace it and so I popped into my local music shop. They said they used to stock them but stopped because of poor reliability.

I said "Nah, they're great. I love mine and used it all the time until it stopped working....... oh."

• Members

I have the Chorus/Flanger pedal and I love it. I've heard that it's very close to the Fulltone ChoralFlange but about $100 cheaper.

As for the footswitch - it takes some time getting used to, but it's totally bullet-proof and resists liquids too - not a bad thing when the beer is flowing at a bar gig.

• Members

Originally posted by biglurve

I had a GD30 for ages before it crapped out on me (some kind of power problem, still meaning to get if fixed). Sounded great, really liked the range and vocal quality etc.

I was looking to replace it and so I popped into my local music shop. They said they used to stock them but stopped because of poor reliability.

I said "Nah, they're great. I love mine and used it all the time until it stopped working....... oh."

no problems with mine other than not being true bypass. really

does have a great vocal quality and sweep though!:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey, stumbled across this, I have the phaser, one of the most useable phasers out there. It's very subtle, does that 70's mellow funk thing very well. I use it for doing meters or crusaders covers.

Dig it, and the price was great, under $150

Kurt

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I got the GD-30 Wah and I feel like I'm keeping one of the Wah worlds biggest secrets! Thing is gorgeous in tone, especially for clean and overdrive sounds ala Classic Rock. For heavier gain, it is less effective.

In fact, I'm almost dissapointed when somone else discovers them, because I like the exclusivity of it in a world of pedalboards stocked with Vox and Dunlop Crybaby. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper.

Only thing I don't like about it is that one of the battery connections came off the PCB (quick solder job did the trick) and the rubber feet have a tendancy to get pushed up into the unit and you have to fish them back out again by taking the unit apart. I did hear that a little superglue fixes that though.

The only Wah I've heard so far that I'd consider swapping it for, is an old Jen CryBaby with original italian Fasel inductor, but that was one noisy pedal so it'd still only be a maybe....

• Members

I have the chorus/flanger (blue pedal). It's kind of big, but it sounds very lush and very quiet. Basically it can do anything a Fulltone Choral Flange can do for about 1/4 of the price. Plus the rubber cover on the foot switch is pretty bullet-proof and beer-proof (an important consideration when you play at clubs).

I got mine on ebay for $65. Money well spent in my opinion.

• Members

i've got the 'wah switch plus'.. (dark green one). Its sounds superior to anything else i tried.. crybaby's, vox, morley's etc. i t just has the right sweep of frequencies for me, and the larger travel just shows up the crybaby types for the limited, uncontrollable pieces of crap they are. the GD bypass is better aswell.

plus i have the switch which goes between standard and bassier frequency ranges. its infinitely more versatile than standard wah's because of this. you can go really deep and do dance beat filtering with it!

i think mine cost

Archived