Wolftone - Chaos

fatbackribs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Chaos owners - I need your help!

Does anyone have the manual to hand? I need to know the power specs, as much info / detail as possible...

I just tried to power it with my Flatliner and a reversed polarity cable and it's making the pedal way noisier than when I use batteries with it.

• Members

Chaos owners - I need your help!

Does anyone have the manual to hand? I need to know the power specs, as much info / detail as possible...

I just tried to power it with my Flatliner and a reversed polarity cable and it's making the pedal way noisier than when I use batteries with it.

The manual really doesn't tell you any more than what's printed on the outside of the pedal: 9v tip+. I'm not sure what the current draw is but I don't think it would be more than the 200ma the Flatliner puts out.

I think it's a really inspiring pedal! Not an out and out skronk machine like the Noisebox but very flexible and mixes well with other "weird OD" pedals. The closest comparison I could make would be the Ampeg Scrambler (gnarly texture, touch sensitivity) with some some extra filtery weirdness.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
Has anyone played through a Wolftone Chaos, Tim Escobedo Uglyface, and/or Subdecay Noise Box? If so, I'd be interested in hearing a comparison of any combination of the three.

:wave:

I've never tried the Uglyface, but I did own the Chaos and a Noisebox at the same time... The Chaos is a lot more musical - should that be what you're looking for. Obviously the opposite argument is that the Noisebox gets way more crazy.

I guess I would say that I used the Chaos for riffs and sustained notes whereas the Noisebox was more adept for non-traditional sounds and almost percussive playing.

• Members

Judging from the transformer in that pic, there is a traditional octave multiplier circuit somewhere in there. Might not even be used in all modes. It also includes something that sounds like can be produced with an out of phase distortion signal but may not be, anyway an unusual waveshaper with exagerated or reversed dynamic properties. Or this just comes out how the octave can be mixed or tweaked. I see enough of what are probably diodes to say there could be multiple distortion stages and/or a octave chopper. (BTW, the Prunes&C allegedly uses a rather massive octave multichopper (no tx) and a mix.)

Compared to Subzombie, well I haven't heard Chaos in person, but in demos it seems to have a smooth sound. That could be part rig but most pedals include smoothing circuitry. It relies more on its octave and may intentionally tone down the base distortion. Vs. w/ SubZ I found full smoothing to be too limiting (:idea:?) as it relies more on raw expansion of the distortion spectrum. Octave tones are more transient and less isolated rather than consistent. One thing I try to emphasize is Zombies are as much a general purpose pedal as a crazy one, with a detailed and subtle control of dynamics. There's definitely room for both pedals. BTW I've been experimenting with new finishes/graphix .... ??

There's some great demos on their site, I must say. The playing really highlights the effects. ck3 did a demo (seems to be offline?) of Sub that was nice a while back, although really the playing would have been great through almost anything :thu:

Archived