new Yamaha Motif XS workstation

Diametro

• Members

This was taken from Tony Escuetas blog.

" I did a little comparrison of how fast the Motif XS can load it's files (in an ALL FILE). The XS loading speed compared to the Motif ES loading time is astounding.

I saved about 100MB of sample data from and ES into an ALL FILE and then loaded back into the ES. That ES data load in it's native format took aout 4 minutes and 51 seconds.

I then loaded the same 100MB of wave data into the XS and saved an ALL FILE. THe XS loads the same size data in it's native format in about 45 seconds. "

good god! Thats FAST!!! 5 minutes is what it takes for my fantom S to load 100-110 MB of sample data. 45 seconds sounds like its as fast as an Emu E4XT! :love:

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

good god! Thats FAST!!! 5 minutes is what it takes for my fantom S to load 100-110 MB of sample data. 45 seconds sounds like its as fast as an Emu E4XT!
:love:

Looks like the Motif ES is faster than Fantom S . But the sample loading time in the Fantom X is much improved. It loads about 19 MB in 8 seconds which makes loading 100 MB taking approx. 43 seconds. I do own one.

• Members

good god! Thats FAST!!! 5 minutes is what it takes for my fantom S to load 100-110 MB of sample data. 45 seconds sounds like its as fast as an Emu E4XT!
:love:

Looks like the Motif ES is faster than Fantom S . But the sample loading time in the Fantom X is much improved. It loads about 19 MB in 8 seconds which makes loading 100 MB taking approx. 43 seconds. I do own one.

• Members

Keith.Roche

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The XS comes with sequencing software based on DAW. You just have to connect the XS to the PC and XS will act as a sound module / sound card. Connect the mic to XS and the audio will get recorded to the PC software. hows tht ?

The XS has a vocal harmonizer.

It has 6682 arpeggios vs. 1700 arpeggios in the ES. The main attraction of the ES was its arpeggios, which had great guitar strums, drum loops, bass lines etc, etc.,

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mfg's are pushing for workstations that MUST be connected to a PC to reach its full polential. As far as I can see, they are leaving those of us that don't want or need to connect to a PC for live performance behind. I said the same thing to Phil on the Motifator forum and he asked what my point was?? In other words, I don't matter. If you aren't interested in investing in a PC and sequencing software in addition to their workstation, then you're out of their target market. Maybe I should just skip the workstation next time and get soft synths, a laptop, and a controller? I realize that using a large monitor and a PC has a lot more capabilities than the existing hardware workstations, but not everyone wants or needs to use them, much less have to pay for them too. That's yet another interface to learn how to use.

Quote by MRCPRO

--------------------------------------------

I guess I'm an oddball. I'm not looking for more arpeggiators. I'm looking for a better Leslie sim, a wider variety of vocal and choir waves, and yeah, a better piano than the ES.

--------------------------------------------

I guess I'm an oddball too MRC. Maybe 6682 Arps is an advantage to a songwriter? Don't know, don't care. How about covering the BnB sounds FIRST? Like a excellent piano sound, a respectable Leslie sim, and maybe more and better Choirs? An easy to use GUI? From Yamaha? I guess not.

Mike T.

• Members
Maybe 6682 Arps is an advantage to a songwriter?

It cerntainly is.

Like a excellent piano sound, a respectable Leslie sim, and maybe more and better Choirs? An easy to use GUI? From Yamaha?

Hear the demos and read the manual. For me the answer is YES.

• Members

Quote by DmitryKo:

------------------------------------

Hear the demos and read the manual. For me the answer is YES.

I heard the demos. Sound has never been the issue for me. Read the manual.....I own a Motif ES8, the manual is not very good. I hope that Yamaha has improved the XS manual. If I were you, I'd hold my judgement until you play one in person. If you buy it on the blind, you might not be so happy with the user interface when you get it.

Mike T.

• Members
If you buy it on the blind, you might not be so happy with the user interface when you get it.

The user interface is described in the manual, which has been released online (see the link above). Being an ES7 owner I can honestly say that both the GUI and the manual itself are a big improvement over the Motif ES, regardless of whether I'm going to buy the XS or not.

• Members

I was able to get some info that was usable from the ES8 manual, but in other areas I don't think they did a very good job. Some things were not clear and other functions were not addressed at all. The ES8 manual is more of a reference manual that tells you what something does rather than how to do it. When you are new to a synth, a lot of step my step instruction for each mode is helpful. Hopefully Yamaha has made some improvements in the GUI and the XS manual. There's no question that the sound is great. Some players have knocked some of the sounds on the ES series, but overall, its a pretty good sounding instrument.

I just looked over the screen functions on the XS and yes, its a BIG improvement over the ES. A lot more graphic with common pictures we associate with the devices or functions we are trying to tweak. It looks like Yamaha has gotten the message, improve the interface or lose customers. I'm not a big believer in touch screens...aka Korg, I'd rather push buttons. Touch screens eventually die and they can be expensive to replace. So those players that said Yamaha should use a touch screen may not like the lack of a touch screen on the XS, but I think what they have is a lot more workable than the original screen and less expensive.

The piano on the XS is probably something similar to the one on the S90ES, with half pedaling capability. My local dealer said he thought the sound quality of the acoustic piano was a lot better the ES. I'll give it a try when they get a demo unit. But, I'm not in the market anyway. My ES8 is 2 1/2 years old and I see no reason to trade or sell it for an XS. I have to wait a few generations for lack of $$$.

Mike T.

• Members

I just looked over the screen functions on the XS and yes, its a BIG improvement over the ES. A lot more graphic with common pictures we associate with the devices or functions we are trying to tweak. It looks like Yamaha has gotten the message, improve the interface or lose customers. I'm not a big believer in touch screens...aka Korg, I'd rather push buttons. Touch screens eventually die and they can be expensive to replace. So those players that said Yamaha should use a touch screen may not like the lack of a touch screen on the XS, but I think what they have is a lot more workable than the original screen and less expensive.

Mike T.

Hey Mike, my Triton Classic is from 2000.

The touch screen is perfect. True, I baby my keyboards. But I am very confident in the life span of the Triton touchscreen. I haven't seen any

general complaints on ' failure ' . And its been 7-8 years. That is a good run. I also think the ' build' and component quality of Tritons is very good.

But it is opposite of your generalization about touchscreen failure vs buttons. Intuitively, I understand your comment. Reality is suggesting a very long run for the touchscreen on a keyboard

• Members

Quote by Son of HuHefner:

But it is opposite of your generalization about touchscreen failure vs buttons. Intuitively, I understand your comment. Reality is suggesting a very long run for the touchscreen on a keyboard.

A 7 or 8 year life span is better than what I expected. Your KB might be obsolete before the screen fails. But screens are more expensive to replace than button switches. I wouldn't buy a KB with one until I knew the replacement costs. Many of my KB's are over 20 years old, so I like things that last. :D

Mike T.

• Members

But screens are more expensive to replace than button switches. I wouldn't buy a KB with one until I knew the replacement costs. Many of my KB's are over 20 years old, so I like things that last.
:D

Mike T.

Approximately $240 plus installation:

http://www.marshallparts.com/content/estore_details.asp?category=3&product=232

P.S. -- If you use the "quote" function (which consists of a start and end "tag") it is a little easier for people to distinguish your comments from the comments you are quoting.

• Members

ARPS...

Do you guys not mind using 'Pre-Programmed' Arps? It is a tool, but those arp patterns weren't made by you. It's not that big of a deal, but doesn't using these Arps take some of the 'Distinction' away from your personal sound musically? It's more like fitting into a communist system.

Note: I think the XS is finally what the Motif should be, with a nice screen and USB.

• Members

Martin:

240 bucks for that touch screen isn't all that terrible. It's less than I thought it would be. That said, I paid less than that to have my Prophet 5 contacts cleaned and voices calibrated, as well as a new OSC installed.

P.S. I'll try to remember to use quotes in the future.

Stikygum:

I don't use that ARPS very much on my Motif ES8. Most of my songs are sequenced. That said, I'm not opposed to using them if they save me time. I guess I'm not a purist. If I were, I'd still be playing gigs with an out of tune house piano, playing harmonica, and singing through a {censored} house PA system.

No thanks.

Mike T.

• Members

I'm just saying that the main or at least 2nd main attraction besides the sounds is the ARPs in it. Doesn't seem like the ARPs are something to marvel, although it is cool. To me, it's more of a great feature that's added onto the sounds,sampling, and sequencing of the workstation.

• Members

Keith.Roche,,,Mfg's are pushing for workstations that MUST be connected to a PC to reach its full polential. As far as I can see, they are leaving those of us that don't want or need to connect to a PC for live performance behind. I said the same thing to Phil on the Motifator forum and he asked what my point was?? In other words, I don't matter.

Precisely why I skipped over the Motif, more than once. (Was looking hard, but instead, I bought a second Triton, then an OASYS, which are perfectly independent.) I'm glad Yamaha remedied the tiny screen, but I wasn't going to hook up to a computer to edit the FM Plug In.

Then the XS dropped alternative synthesis, altogether!!! WTF!!! A Yamaha synth without FM or AN isn't worth beans, to me. I like the FX, interface and filters, though.

So, what's my point? Computer interface should be an optional workflow choice, not a requirement, for those looking for hardware. As much as I love the Virus TI, I think it drops the ball by not having Arps editable from the unit, itself.

I love computers. I just bought a 12 ghz, dual Xeon tower and a 2.0 dual core Toshiba laptop. But, I don't want to need them, for music making.

• Members

Hey Mike Conway:

I agree, a computer interface should be an optional workflow choice. I understand why MFG want to do it. Why duplicate what can be done on a PC on a hardware workstation? It drives up the cost of the workstation, and there are advantages of a large LCD screen connected to a PC in your studio. However, I use my Motif ES8 for live work. Not everyone is doing extensive studio work. Sure, I sit home and program my sequences, play back samples and incorporate them into my sequences, but I don't want or need a big elaborate setup to make 16 track midi files of classic rocks songs. Not everyone is or wants to score films, or be a producer. I want something that is fully self contained that I don't have to worry about a laptop crashing and burning at a gig. I realize that you can save and store your midi songs you created on your PC and load them onto your workstation via a USB drive. But I just don't need all the extra computer hardware and added expense.

Mike T.

• Members
I love computers. I just bought a 12 ghz, dual Xeon tower and a 2.0 dual core Toshiba laptop. But, I don't want to need them, for music making.

I agree as well. I don't want features of my keyboards forced into obsolecense because of a windows OS upgrade.

• Members
I don't want features of my keyboards forced into obsolecense because of a windows OS upgrade.

That's the main reason why for using 3rd party software - they have to make new versions because they depend on sales, and proprietary software typically gets canned at the end of product cycle.

• Members

Shocker: the Motif XS runs a modified version of Linux.
:eek:

http://charlie.keyfax.com/motif_xs_whats_new_and_whats_the_same

http://www.motifator.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MotifXS&Number=318200

I have always wondered what Korg, Yamaha, and Roland use for their existing/older products (Fantom, Triton, Motif), a proprietary OS?

I assume as keyboard products use more and more PC hardware (color screens, USB/Firewire ports, PC memory, etc.) the more sense it makes to migrate to Linux.

• Members

what Korg, Yamaha, and Roland use for their existing/older products (Fantom, Triton, Motif), a proprietary OS?

Of course.

I assume as keyboard products use more and more PC hardware (color screens, USB/Firewire ports, PC memory, etc.) the more sense it makes to migrate to Linux.

Not just more PC hardware (though 5" 320x240 color LCD would hardly qualify as a PC part), it also allows for much more refined filesystem and networking drivers and better GUI.

For example, the XS now supports long filenames (VFAT) and a full suite of Windows networking protocols (SMB, also compatible with Mac OS X), plus multiple proportional bitmap fonts and animated color graphics. Without the use of free GNU code, it would probably take hundred millions of dollars to reimplement from scratch.

I'd imagine that with this new Linux-based foundation, things like dual-core SH4 main CPU, NTFS hard drives, UDF 2.x media and DVD burners, VGA port for external monitors etc. would be far more easier to implement now. An embedded version of Cubase 4 with a full blown true-color 1280x800 GUI, anyone?

Plus if other divisions move to this platform (they most probably will if they want to use this new ASIC chip), it would allow them to leverage the technology between Clavinovas/digital pianos, PSR/arrangers and synth workstations in most easier way. This is for the benefit of us users, as it reduces developing costs, a very delicate issue in this low-volume market, and allows for innovations in an efficient manner.

• Members

Shocker: the Motif XS runs a modified version of Linux.
:eek:

http://charlie.keyfax.com/motif_xs_whats_new_and_whats_the_same

http://www.motifator.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MotifXS&Number=318200

WOW. Cool I didn't know that. Wonder if that means they can do upgrades and add features more easily? More importantly, if that type of thing would/will ever happen?

• Members

WOW. Cool I didn't know that. Wonder if that means they can do upgrades and add features more easily? More importantly, if that type of thing would/will ever happen?

Given the Motif XS appears to be using a custom chip based tone generator (their "SWP51"), Yamaha won't be able to add new instruments like the OASYS. However, Yamaha has always made OS/functionality updates to all of their past products, and this might make that process easier.

As DmitryKo mentions, I assume the big benefit are the features they already ARE implementing (like long filenames and IP connectivity), plus a future potential benefit of easier technology sharing between the different Yamaha groups.

Archived