best relatively cheap OD pedal that does NOT cut bass?

bluesboy

• Members

Originally posted by Shark_Sandwich

I like my Bad Monkey. Quite cheap and plenty of Bass. Less gain than the Boss BS-2, though.

I would recommend teh Bad Monkey over the BD-2 if you are more interested in low end. The BM has seperate low and high EQ controls. I own both, like 'em both, but think you may be best with the BM.

• Members

never tried the Screamin' Blues, might be worth it to check that one out too.

keep in mind that the Bad Monkey sounds different than the Boss BD-2. the bad monkey is a TS9/808 clone and the BD-2 sounds much more fenderish. so depending on what tone you're after either one would be a good choice.

• Members

Originally posted by dwerlin

keep in mind that the Bad Monkey sounds different than the Boss BD-2. the bad monkey is a TS9/808 clone and the BD-2 sounds much more fenderish.

BD-2 has a {censored} load of gain available, well beyond distortion into pseudo-fuzz territory.

The screanming blues is a very good clone / copy of the BD-2

I would certainly recommedn getting both the Bad Monkey and a BD-2 (or screaming blues) the two works sooo well togther (even in unison or seperately).

• Members

Originally posted by dangerous dan

BD-2 has a {censored} load of gain available, well beyond distortion into pseudo-fuzz territory.

doesn't mean you have to use it like that though, but yes it's there if you want it. it sounds incredible on that virge of breakup setting.

• Members

well.. i play my amp with the volume on ten. I already get the distortion i basically need... so what im really looking for is a nice boost for leads, etc. But i really like the basic tone i get from this amp, and i dont want to use a pedal that will change the EQ too much

• Members

out of all the stuff that you would find at guitar center that is under $100, id go with the BD2

I tried the bad monkey... it was ok for the price, but if i was going for a cheap tubescreamer type pedal id get a TS7. Although you can alter the bass response on the BM, the low end doesnt sound right to me.

If you ever get a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket you can have the BD2 modded.

That said, the BD2 is the only dirt pedal boss makes that i can stand in stock form.

• Members
Originally posted by dangerous dan

The screanming blues is a very good clone / copy of the BD-2

I would certainly recommedn getting both the Bad Monkey and a BD-2 (or screaming blues) the two works sooo well togther (even in unison or seperately).

Another vote for the almighty BD-2 !

My Fav. stock Boss pedal by a mile !!! :thu:

I would like to try the OD-3 some time soon, though !

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

well.. i play my amp with the volume on ten. I already get the distortion i basically need... so what im really looking for is a nice boost for leads, etc. But i really like the basic tone i get from this amp, and i dont want to use a pedal that will change the EQ too much

You could go with a Boss GE-7 or Dano fish&chips. Leave it flat and just goose the lower frequency that you want increased. Turn the master slider up as much as you need for a lead boost and you're done.

I think overdrive pedals will add some gain even set low. A good boost pedal (like the nick greer or even the MXR micro amp) won't let you tailor the tone as easily as an eq pedal.

• Members

I think the BD-2 will be too much gain for you. It has a lot of gain. Like two three times what a tube screamer has.

Maybe gain isn't even quite the right word. Its like "hot" sounding. I don't know what to recommend, but I don't think its the BD-2 or anything called "Screamin' Blues"

Just my humble opinion......

Archived