Message to pedal builders: More eq pedals!

lowbasslowbass

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How many people would pay 200 or so for a good parametric eq with clean boost? Something like:

Freq Res Gain Volume
LPFreq LPAmount HPFreq HPAmount

With exp jacks for frequencies
All in a Hammond 1590BB (3.7x4.7inches)

I havn't designed it yet, but it's on my list if there's any interest. I could see it going from subtle, like a clean boost with light shaping to get it sounding just right, to synthy and retarded. My fear is all those knobs would scare away the cleanboost crowd.

[/talklingoutofmyass]

• Members
Originally posted by comfortablynumb

Perhaps an eq in a wah shell. There would be a preset EQ shape in the heel and toe, and rocking the treadle would morph between them.

I don't know.

The electro harmonix tube eq has a expression pedal function, so you can sweep the frequency on foot...

Has anyone tried the ehx tube eq? It seems cool! :p

I like devi's idea for a eq also...

What hapened with tone-jam? I was going to post a link to their site, but it's gone... :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

I like the idea of an EQ pedal that has a bit of "colour" or grit to go along with the tone shaping. Seriously... why not? Each tone section could have it's own bit of unique character to add or subtract... imagine something like a treble / mid / bass boost in one pedal where each tone section had a particularly nice shape and colour as you brought them up or down.

Anything like that already? I've been mulling the idea over for a few months, but as usual... not time to innovate properly. Just swamping around the fuzz bog.

devi-

Not quite what you're describing (I think), but the MDEQ has some amount of boost on tap depending on how much you crank up the controls - not a huge amount of grit but there is a little at the extremes...

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

I was lamenting the lack of available EQ's a few hours ago... but I was thinking in terms of outboard studio parametric units that don't cost a small fortune yet still sound good - not pedals.

As far as graphic EQ pedals, I am happy with my Fish & Chips.
:)

and there's the reason you wont see too many pedal builders making multiband graphic EQ's.

There are some things that are easy to do in our little world. There are some things we can do better than the mass manufacturers, like buy good caps, match components, deal with obsolete parts.

I have looked in to getting slots for sliders milled locally, along with the other holes punched for a pedal i was thinking about making, and the cheapest place was $11 each, with a minimum of qty 100, and a set up fee of a few hundred dollars. They also required my work to be in some drafting program that costs a few hundred dollars. So I ask my self, what if i make this pedal, and they sell very slowly.

I should just go out and spend some money on a good milling machine, but even with a manually operated milling machine that will do slots it takes a lot more time to produce a punched enclosure than one with all round holes.

The other problem, is that even with a milling machine the enclosures that most of us use are not always perfectly formed, or exactly the same size, so it can skew your regular measurments.

• Members
Originally posted by C.Ketola

The electro harmonix tube eq has a expression pedal function, so you can sweep the frequency on foot...

Has anyone tried the ehx tube eq? It seems cool!
:p

I like devi's idea for a eq also...

What hapened with tone-jam? I was going to post a link to their site, but it's gone...
:confused:

www.myspace.com/tonejam

:wave:

I tried building an EQ, and it's really just not feasible. It's much easier, and cost effective to mod existing EQ's.

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

I just dont see the use, dramatic EQ changes usually sound fake, like they shouldnt exist in the same rig.

funny you should say that in the same thread you complain about amps with full tone stacks.

It's interesting that most amps with simple tone stacks usually have the most "pure" tone.

to the original poster, the reason most "boutique" builders don't make EQs is they are hard to make and it's much easier to make dirt pedals and charge $300 for them.

• Members

Originally posted by groovetube66

Here is what would be cool IMHO - a super tight parametric eq/filter with multiple outputs. Dial in tight so you could have route upper and lower frequencies through different effects... would simulate having separate pickups for bass and treble strings.

S.

That's pretty much what the Dreamtone Samurai Eq will do. Its filters are offset to provide a great amp-sim. too.

Hopefully out by Christmas...(fingers crossed)

• Members
Originally posted by puretube

variable crossover frequency? (1 pot + stompswitch)

or fixed (bass/treble)? (bypass-stompswitch only?)

mono in - 2 channels (hi/lo) out?

:thu:

Variable c/o freq. is impossible without tiny, surface-mount parts. And then if you bump that c/o knob, the change can really screw-up the sound that you had dialed-in.

• Members

gt66:
just tell me how you think it should be.

I`m not talking tube in these replies...

Though I can make tubes do what others don`t,
even with oversized non-RoHS thru-hole components
(and envelope/LFO-controlled, or stepped,
if anybody wants...).

;)

btw: nice post there on my 50th birthday - hadn`t seen it :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by lowbasslowbass

It would be nice to have one high and one low pass filter, set-and-forget pots/switches inside the pedal (like the Diamond Compressor). Also, the choice of the bass/middle/high fequency centers should work not only with guitar, but also with other instruments.

Like I said, coming soon from DreamtoneFx.... (The smaller one is like you describe, $130 ballpark. PM me if you want to get on the EQ mailing list.)

Archived