Rookie question. First 'heavy' dist pedal?

cratz2

• Members

Not for me. I'm a very low gain kinda guy. I usually use a Bad Monkey with the gain set to about 9 o'clock. But a friend of mine is interested in a heavy heavy metal pedal. For thick, chugga type work. Mostly rhythm. I had him listen to the samples on the Boss website.

He's more interested in the thick wall of sound rather than the scooped mid sound. My suggestion was the MT2 since it seems like it would have a pretty big range of distortion sounds but at $100, there are a lot of modelers and multieffects that might deserve attention.

• Members

I used to have a Rat. An older one back in the early 90s. I liked it for my uses, but I think he is wanting more of that thick Metallica kinda sound. I've never owned a dedicated fuzz. Can they even get close to that kind of sound?

The other thing that is also holding him back is he refuses to use anything other than the bridge position pickup. I always got better sounds out of my neck HB or even both bridge+neck HBs and with the treb/higher frequencies either on the amp or in an EQ pedal. Ahh... that's another story.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

• Members

Originally posted by sonic_tooth

Go with a big muff. Everybody needs at least one. I think it is great for the wall of sound thing. They can sound vague if you are trying to do complicated rhythm work though.

no way. big muffs sound terrible for palm muting riffs- i assume thats what you meant by the chugga chug thing.

everytime someone asks for a heavy distortion pedal i suggest the metal muff.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr.Picklebottom

no way. big muffs sound terrible for palm muting riffs- i assume thats what you meant by the chugga chug thing.

everytime someone asks for a heavy distortion pedal i suggest the metal muff.

exactly.... that is why I said that if he is doing complicated rhythm work (PMs, fast runs ect) he might find it to be too vague for his needs

Archived