Pedalboard or modeller?

Bassified

• Members

I currently own a Zoom GFX-1 and I'm not sure which way to go now. I being the indecisive type doesn't help much either, so I'd like some advice from previous pedalboard/modeler owners. Pros and cons of each would be appreciated.

I play in an original rock band and will be running it through my Mesa Mark IIB, but would also like to run it through a solid state amp as a backup or for band practices.

So far I can think of these:

Modeler:

- Convenient

- Direct recording into PC

- Very versatile with amp models and effects

- Can run through PA if tube amp fails

Pedalboard:

- Custom to taste

- Use what is needed

• Members

Originally posted by comfortablynumb

I believe a pedalboard will always be better than a modeller. That's just me though. I'd go the pedalboard route and bring the modeller along as a backup.

A modeler would have a lot of stuff. Some may argue some of the features aren't accurate, but some are useable, right?

What do you guys have on your pedalboard?

I'm just thinking about the amp models. Are there pedals that model a Mesa Recto, Marshall JCM-series drive, or a Fender Bassman for example?

• Members

You have a mark II! That's an amp that's begging for pedals, not a modeler! I say get the pedals you need for the sounds you are going for, and sound your best when you are using your mark II. Depending on the Solid State you want to use in practice a modeler may or may not sound better.

I can say that I used a Tonelab SE for two years into a small tube amp (gibson goldtone) and when I decided to screw the modeler and build up a pedal board, my tone (at least to my ears) was MUCH better. I grew to hate the sound of my modeler... and I had what is considered the most natural sounding one you can get.

Your MKII is a good sounding amp as it is, make it sound like a better MKII by using pedals... not 15 mediocre other amps.

Just imo ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Mistersuperfly

You have a mark II! That's an amp that's begging for pedals, not a modeler!

+1

you don't need to try to make your amp sound like an amp. it already is one! in other words, no need to run an amp modeler through an amp. keep it for recording--in case you want to record direct with a Fender model or something. maybe even use it live in conjunction with a couple of pedals. but i personally think it's excessive to be running through the gamut of amp models in one show.

i'd suggest trying out a few pedals. which ones? depends what you play. but if nothing else it's good to know what those digital FX in your ZOOM are based on! for example, i use a yamaha magicstomp for fx like delay and phaser (in conjunction w/ stompers), but i've had plenty of analog and digital pedals to know what to aim for when i'm getting a setting right on a patch.

• Members

Would you put fake zebra striped seat covers and a fuzzy wool steering wheel cover in your car so you can imagine riding a horse while groping a sheep instead of actually driving?

Please don't use a modeler instead of pedals or with a tube amp like a Mesa.

• Members

I found presets impossible to live with. Sure you get more for your money with a modeller, but once you dial it in, you're pretty much stuck. You can't just reach down and make a quick adjustment, which makes performing difficult.

Modellers are easier to set up. Guitar cable in, cable to amp out. No need to worry about multiple power supplies or batteries or lots of in/out connections.

You're stuck with the sounds a modeller gives you. With a pedalboard you can swap out individual effects.

Pedalboards are hard do debug on the fly. If something's making noise or your signal is cutting out, it can be hard to find out quickly what the problem is.

You can record direct or go to the PA with a pedalboard. The last thing on my board is a Sansamp GT-2. It's not usually connected, but if my amp goes south, it's there to get me through a gig.

I did the modeller thing for a while and it sounded great and was easy to use. I just really missed the flexibility of having all the knobs easily accessible.

• Members
Originally posted by GCDEF

I found presets impossible to live with. Sure you get more for your money with a modeller, but once you dial it in, you're pretty much stuck. You can't just reach down and make a quick adjustment, which makes performing difficult.

Modellers are easier to set up. Guitar cable in, cable to amp out. No need to worry about multiple power supplies or batteries or lots of in/out connections.

You're stuck with the sounds a modeller gives you. With a pedalboard you can swap out individual effects.

Pedalboards are hard do debug on the fly. If something's making noise or your signal is cutting out, it can be hard to find out quickly what the problem is.

You can record direct or go to the PA with a pedalboard. The last thing on my board is a Sansamp GT-2. It's not usually connected, but if my amp goes south, it's there to get me through a gig.

I did the modeller thing for a while and it sounded great and was easy to use. I just really missed the flexibility of having all the knobs easily accessible.

Exactly. Modellers are like the Enlightenment, they make sense but aren't any fun. Pedalboards are more Romantic in nature...its all about individuality and spontenaity. :thu: or :freak: ?

• Members

You know what? I wanted to quote a lot of the previous posts. There were good points made and the poll is really one-sided, so I don't know why I was that indecisive. I guess the convenience factor really got to me. From previous experience with my Zoom GFX-1, the effects I'd like to take is a Wah (zoom does Wah horribly imo), Delay (nice feature), Chorus (zoom also does a bad job on this, or maybe chorus sounds like that), and possibly Flanger/Phaser. The other cool thing I find are the amp models.

For example, I probably won't be able to make my Mark sound like a Fender Twin Reverb or a Marshall JCM, british voicing without a modeler. Is that a good or bad thing?

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I should have known. The guy leading Sunday worship uses a Boss Blues pedal and I don't remember him having an amp. I think he plugs the guitar into pedal into pa system, if I recall correctly.

• Members

Uh, well, you don't have to use the modeller as a modeller. Turn off the cab/amp sims and just use it as an effects box. Then if your amp fails or something you can use the cab/amp sims. You can use those to record with too.

They also don't really go obsolete. If electronic instruments went obsolete than 95% of the synths out there today would be sitting in the trash. Newer stuff might sound more like whatever it's trying to model, but that's the downfall right there. That was the problem with synths before people started using them for what they're best at: making their own sounds.

That said, I love having a lot of individual effects pedals. There's something old school and fun about a bunch of analog (or even digital) boxes and just sitting around playing with the dials.

Plus they sound {censored}ing amazing.

• Members

Uh....anyways, here's the problem.

Say I like using 'mesa rectifier-type distortion'; however, I don't own a Mesa Rectifier, but a Mesa Mark. And no, right now, I don't plan to sell my Mark and buy a Recto.

I basically have two options, getting a pedal for that distortion, such as a Marshall Guvnor or to get a modeler with that Mesa Rectifier model.

The modeler may sound 'fake', but is probably still close.

What is the benefit for going with individual pedal route though? Create your own sound instead of using models?
Perhaps with a Mesa Mark and a Marshall Guvnor, it sounds different to the Rectifier, but sounds different in a good way, as in unique?

• Members
Originally posted by Bassified

What is the benefit for going with individual pedal route though? Create your own sound instead of using models?

Perhaps with a Mesa Mark and a Marshall Guvnor, it sounds different to the Rectifier, but sounds different in a good way, as in unique?

This is the correct answer. As you play with pedals into the amp, you'll get a whole new idea of how "distortion" really works. It'll no longer be about the title of the sound and a "gain" knob. You'll feel like you have one instrument from guitar to amp. No longer will everything you play depend on the modeller to produce the sound. You'll realize that you don't need to change from clean to dirty so often...you just need to play softer. The volume knob on your guitar will finally get a workout. In short, while a modeller makes sense to have as many tones as necessary, a pedal/tube amp setup is really alot more fun...even with limitations. I promise, that, unless some other amp's distortion is really your cup o' tea, you won't miss all the other amp models...you'll get the sounds you need.:thu:

Archived