New V-synth keyboard at NAMM

C#minor

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think its pretty easy to guess from the pics what some of the new things are...

Integrated Vocal card
Colour Screen
Bi-timbral

one thing that puzzles me is that Roland said "the most expressive synth ever"... thats quite a claim that I think only the VL1 or physical modelling synths could hold so far...

I had the VSYnth and I found it expressive but not to the level of the VL stuff... so I'm wondering if the AP is something new.

A problem with the VSynth was that traditional acoustic samples were stretched across the keyboard and didn't sound too hot... whether that was a flute/sax or whatever... but the strength lay in the synth part or messing around with samples...

I wonder if now it supports multisamples... though I wouldn't understand how they would implement it.

Also I wonder if the memory on this is larger than the previous VSynths?

Interesting times... and certainly the most fascinating NAMM show in the last decade...

• Members

So I'm thinking about the acronym AP. Here are some ideas:

Advanced
Analog
Articulation
Aleatoric
Automation
Automatic

Physics
Processor
Pipeline
Performance

From structures 1, 2, and 3 shown in the pictures, it looks like AP wants to stand on its own without running through the COSM processors. That should tell us something. Physical modeling ("Advanced Physics")?

• Members

[OT} Curiousity question about the original V-synth. Were samples easily loopable? Was there an elegant way to organize and trim sounds for use. Please link to any threads. Don't mean to clutter this one up. Thanks

Jerry

• Members
Is there any information about this "new" product?

That link only gives me two navigation choices:

Someone from Motifator forum posted the pics, I don't know how he got them, my guess, he either have the Macromedia Flash and can open the file, or maybe he used some software to capture and enhance the photos from the flash demo, I really don't know.
    I posted the pics at Roland Clan forum, and Jim Stout from Roland concurred that it's indeed the new V-synth, and he couldn't say anything except that "there is much more to it".

Best.

• Members

OK, now I am really confused. You are talking about clicking on the "New V-Syth" section of that webpage, correct? I see a few purposely blurred video segments, but I can't tell what is different compared to the original products.

No, I was talking about the pictures posted in this thread.

• Members

Someone from Motifator forum posted the pics, I don't know how he got them, my guess, he either have the Macromedia Flash and can open the file, or maybe he used some software to capture and enhance the photos from the flash demo, I really don't know.

I posted the pics at Roland Clan forum, and Jim Stout from Roland concurred that it's indeed the new V-synth, and he couldn't say anything except that "there is much more to it".

Best.

My guess is I think there is software that allows you to download flash movies and then its a case of opening that up in the Flash software where you can see the raw material

• Members

[OT} Curiousity question about the original V-synth. Were samples easily loopable? Was there an elegant way to organize and trim sounds for use. Please link to any threads. Don't mean to clutter this one up. Thanks

Jerry

I found it a pain.. there wasn't a crossfade function and loops would often start "ticking" in a patch even though they were okay in the editor.

I'm hoping they've fixed a lot of the problems I had... I know Umbra will probably jump in and say the problem was that I didn't know what I was doing but I've been doing this for 21 years now. I had no problems looping stuff with my W30 or with Soundforge...

That being said I don't want to dwell on the negative. I hope current VSynth and XT owners get an OS upgrade btw.

• Members

The upgrade costs $2000 and comes with a free "New V-Synth" keyboard.

Yeah possibly, but perhaps some of the new features aren't so hardware related and could be integrated with the old VSynth.

I think the new structures and AP would probably be incompatible though...

• Members

Given that webpage I don't doubt its existence at all. I am simply getting confused because people seem to be talking about new features, and I don't see where they are finding that information.

** Update **

I finally found the pictures everyone was talking about.

and where is the Korg new product announcement ?

Oh, never mind, the countdown is much more exciting

• Members

hmm im not sure what the AP synthesis is after all.. if you look at the signal flow diagrams it is seperate from the OSCs on each of the 4 routing styles

also, each patch seems to have 5 layers: 1 AP synthesis and 2 oscs, 2 cosm, 1 mod, 1 TVA) ... with Vocal designer patch seperate but also containing a AP layer

but then on top of that - it seems like it is possible for the synth to have 2 tones... probably like layering 2 patches on top of each other, and also for playing in a bi-timbral or split mode (in some pics you can see a dedicated "key range" button next to the "upper" and "lower" tone buttons)

5.jpg

7.jpg

• Members

one passing thought is that it could be a rip-off of the KARMA type stuff... "advanced phrase" synthesis or something like that... like a math synth type modulator/arp

That's not Roland' style! How about Analog Proper - yeah - it's got a proper analog engine there! :idea:

I'll get back to my dream now. :D

• Members

hmm im not sure what the AP synthesis is after all.. if you look at the signal flow diagrams it is seperate from the OSCs on each of the 4 routing styles

AP Synthesis has one knob marked modify, and possibly some buttons. I'ts hard for me to imagine a DSP that has so few control points, yet warrants it's own signal path.

Jerry

Archived