Should I dump my Voyager?

MFenkner

• Members

Wow. Thats an awesome price! Is yours the floor model? So, you traded in the studio, xr and indigo 2, and BITS and BOBS for an oasys for 1k? Thats all? What about the bits and bobs. Care to list what they are?

I mean, I see a huge overlap between the triton Studio and the Fantom XR, so the trade in was pretty cool. I'd figure 1400 for the studio, 1000 for the XR and i dont know, 1500 for the indigo? (just guessing).

No, it wasn't a floor model - it was brand new! And to top it off, Sam Ash had a delivery mancome to drop off the OASYS to my house and pick up my trade-in gear sight-unseen!

What I traded was an Triton Studio with all the accessories (MOSS & 8 EXBs), a Fantom XR (w/SRX-11), the Indigo 2, a Roland-ready MIM Strat, a VG8EX guitar synth, and a GI-20 guitar-to-MIDI converter. There might have been some Line 6 stomp boxes too.

After the deal, I often felt a little guilty when I stopped by the store because my old Triton Studio was on the floor for well over a year and they were trying to sell it for a price close to new. The MOSS and the EXBs were sold before they even reached the stores and the rest of the stuff they sold fast too.

For the deal I got, I'm sure even the most die-hard OASYS haters would've made the swap :)

• Members

I kinda see what you're saying, but do have this:

VX-351_Front(200dpi).jpg
?

I've been tempted going down that path many times, but again space limited me :( I'll have to take a picture of my den sometime because it's the {censored}tiest room. One wall is taken up by a sliding glass door, one wall is limited in use because of a hole through to the kitchen, and another wall is small because of the door. The only long-stretch of a wall is taken up with my computer desk and three large book cases. I need a new house, not a new synth :)

Getting the VX-351, the various MoogerFoogers, some analog modules, and an analog sequencer would be a tweakers dream.

• Members

my gut reaction is that my Hammond C-2 is quite a one-trick pony. in fact, it only has touch-response percussion via a TrekII add-on.

my second gut reaction is that the two-trick pony rig of my Hammond and my Minimoog is something i will not master in my lifetime.

i would keep the V'ger and add Numerology and one metric {censored}tonne of freeware softsynths to your Macintosh, but that's my personal taste. a tweaker's dream can take many forms, and there's quite a world of possibilities to be had with very cheap to free softsynths, processing plugins, and Numerology.

the OAsystem and V'ger seem to cover all the ground, and the V'ger is an instrument that will still be relevant in 30 years.

• Members

I would keep the V'ger and add Numerology...

I was checking out Numerology yesterday. I listened to your demos on the website - pretty damn cool! I'm considering buying it but I need to play with the demo version first to get a feel for it.

...the V'ger is an instrument that will still be relevant in 30 years.

That's why I think it'd be better to at least keep it in the closet until I get more room. If I want synth-action keys (and a second controller for the O), the Novation would be an inexpensive purchase that wouldn't really require me to sell the MMV.

• Members

If the Voyager is a one trick pony to you, then that's what it is.

+1.

I'm not much of a Moog fan (nor an Oasys one either) but I wouldn't call the Voyager a one trick pony either.

MFenkner, you got yourself the most expensive rompler on the planet, and the most expensive monophonic synth on the planet. I would learn to use them first.

I'm right in thinking that the Oasys has at least an 8-track recorder built in, so you're not limited to one lead line from the Voyager (or is the 'one-trick' a bass line?)

Then you've got sampling...make yourself some percussion sounds on the Voyager and sample them into your own kit which to use in the Oasys - I'm sure the Oasys is more than capable of this. And I'm sure the Voyager is more than capable of plenty of space noises and sound effects, especially if you partner it with an effects box.

And with sampling, you can of course effectively have a polyphonic Voyager in the Oasys.

With Oasys synths or sampled Voyager, route the output back to the Voyager audio input and record this into the Oasys again.

Bleeding 'ell, I could go on...but don't tell me the Voyager is a one trick pony. :mad:

• Members

given alkl u said in this thread, if u like real analog sound, but feel MMV is too limited for your applications, i'd sell voyager get a 16-voice andromeda and keep oasys. it seems like a killer combo to me.

andromeda, tho it doesn't do moog thing exactly like voyager does, it does so much more, and is really versatile/deep. like a polyphonic modular. never the less, make no mistake, a moog impersonation on analog andromeda sounds 50 times better than any "moogish" thing you might come up wiht on a virus, and other digital mini-wannabes. just to set the record straight here.

as for your other concern, indeed it can also be a controller for softies too.

• Members

Here's the small space I have for my equipment (and the rest of the room doesn't offer an alternative setup). Now you can see why I try to get the most functionality for space. Maybe I could fit a 2 tier stand to hold the Voyager AND a Novation Remote. I can't fit anything above the OASYS (my wife would never allow it, and I use the sheet music stand which doubles as a laptop holder).

Den.jpg

• Members

All the sound in this song are made with Voyager, except voice:

Not a bad pony. But it may not be for you.

Definitely not for me. The sounds in that clip are too "old school" and raw with a very limited timbral palette. That's what I didn't like about my Minimoog. I'd much rather use a PM or wavetable synth for the music I'm interested in.

• Members

I'd keep what you've got. Surely your Oasys can operate as a controller. Even with it's 'extensive facilities', you can use it for keyboard duties.

If you feel the need for some rotary controllers, just get something like the Novation Remote SL Zero and stick that on some blank space on the Oasys.

33544_l.jpg

• Members

If you think the Voyager is a one trick pony, then you haven't put enough work into what it is capable of. It can do a lot more than the presets.

If you don't want to put the work into it, then sell it.

Otherwise if space is a concern, then the Voyager RME is your box.

• Members

If you aren't into the Voyager's sounds you should just sell it. It's got that old school thing going on that I, personally, am not into. The Andromeda was a good recommendation. Either that or a Virus would give you much more versatility, not to mention they both have wonderful synth action keyboards. You could put one under your laptop and use it as your main controller since you don't seem to like the weighted keys on the OASYS.

Archived