What do Orange amps sound like?

Steve Howe

• Members

A very distinct and unique sound. The bass notes 'bloom' in an all-encompassing round manner without sounding bad...Trust me...

The tightness you'll be able to get is the Orange tightness. No recto-type sounds here...

The rocker versions(EL34) are more gainy which to me is not really the Orange 'sound'. They're closer to Marshall in that aspect.

They don't take pedals too well unless maybe a treble booster of some sort. Mush and flab.....

But the sound they have...oh, man..oh, man...what a sound!!!:love:

Like wrapped in a fluffy blanket lying in a wheat field with the girl of your dreams....

• Members
Originally posted by Yarmo

A very distinct and unique sound. The bass notes 'bloom' in an all-encompassing round manner without sounding bad...Trust me...

The tightness you'll be able to get is the Orange tightness. No recto-type sounds here...

The rocker versions(EL34) are more gainy which to me is not really the Orange 'sound'. They're closer to Marshall in that aspect.

They don't take pedals too well unless maybe a treble booster of some sort. Mush and flab.....

But the sound they have...oh, man..oh, man...what a sound!!!
:love:

Like wrapped in a fluffy blanket lying in a wheat field with the girl of your dreams....

You're right on all accounts.

• Members

well, the older ones, especially the OR series, loooove pedals.

the newer rocker/AD series i'm not sure about, that probably is more like what the tiny terror is like.

• Members

Jaime Miller of theSTART uses an Orange 2x12 w/ extension cab (I think another 2x12 or something) and a {censored}-ton of pedals. I think he's got at over 15 on his board or something like that. Lots of delay, a fair amount of modulation, etc. Doesn't sound muddy at all, but I think on all their songs (they have 2 albums and an EP), he plays clean (no dirt, no modulation) for about 4 measures...

• Members

^^^^^^
I guess I made a somewhat blanket statement there. I was actually referring to OD's and such...My bad for not being clearer.

Live, Omar Rodriguz-Lopez has a truck load of FX as well...mostly modulation....and he sounds heavenly...

• Members

my rocker 30 head sounds like a jcm900 with all the kinks worked out. it's smoothe, mid rangey, and plenty loud for any venue i'll ever play. as far as build quality goes, the first thing i did when i got it was tear it apart and look inside. the chassis is kinda weak, but it fits in the cabinet so well it doesn;t really matter, and the wiring was clean and well done, as far as i could tell. i have had no issues with mine at all, so who knows...

definitely nothing like a fender, in fact, i wanna get a fender head to a/b with it, that or a jc120 head, that would be sweeeeeet....

• Members

What kind of cab are you using? I just got a pair of the Tiny Terror amps in today, when my afternoon guy gets here maybe we can make a clip or two, although I don't currently have anywhere to host them. Can you send a clip through a PM as an attachment? or attach it to a post?

• Members
Originally posted by Jon Hiller

What kind of cab are you using? I just got a pair of the Tiny Terror amps in today, when my afternoon guy gets here maybe we can make a clip or two, although I don't currently have anywhere to host them. Can you send a clip through a PM as an attachment? or attach it to a post?

Huh ? :confused:

I don't own one yet!

• Members

I was asking what kind of cab you normally use (providing you have a speaker cab already). I got a couple of the Tiny Terror amps in to my shop today and I might be able to make a clip or two this afternoon if my afternoon help guy gets out of class early enough. I just don't have anywhere online to host the clips, but I could email them, or attach them to a PM or post if either one of those are possible. This way, you could get an idea of what the Tiny Terror sounds like. I have a Vintage 30 loaded Ampeg 4X12, a Marshall Valvestate 35-watt celestion loaded 4X12, and a couple of my Union brand 1X12 Eminence-loaded cabs in the shop, so surely I could at least get something similar cabinet-wise to what you're looking at doing. Sorry if my post was confusing.

EDIT: I also have a Drive 4X12 loaded with Eminence speakers that I could use...

• Members

One thing they do not sound like is Black Sabbath. They did one German TV show that used Orange amps for the back line and forever got pegged as Orange amp users. They used/use Laneys. Laneys are more akin to Marshall amps than Orange.

Just an aside.

Now Dead Meadow does use orange amps.

Archived