TGP cracks me up

dangerous dan

• Members

I do frequent TGP; and no, I'm not here solely to defend anything. I'm hardly passionate about 'defending' TGP- I just think that there are some overgeneralizations made, and being on TGP, I hardly feel that those comments apply to me.

I'm no tone snob, yet I frequent TGP. I have some expensive gear, I have some cheapo gear. I don't think my stuff is the best, and believe me I take some {censored} over there for using a friggin' DeVille by choice.

So I guess I get defensive when someone critisizes the whole community over there, as if we're all a bunch of self-righteous assholes. I'm not, and most folks over there aren't as far as I've been able to tell.

So I wasn't really defending TGP as much as I was defending myself, really. I hope that explains things. I'll be the first to say there are folks over there that are way too wrapped up in the prestige thing, but most really aren't.

(BTW- thanks erskin- I can tell you get where I'm coming from)

Sooo... anyway... how 'bout a markom thread? :D

-Ben

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by slc_dan

buffer, around 7-10 components. the tb switch takes care of it anyway.

this is just an ugly pedal, at a stupid price, it really can't sound that good.

I can't believe anyone actually wants this pedal at any price, let alone over 1k. if you are going to rehouse a delay it might as well be something worthwhile........pds series anyone?

You can not talk about component costs. It is the R&D and expertise that you are paying for.

Otherwise why would two albums on one CD not cost the same as one album on a CD?

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

You can not talk about component costs. It is the R&D and expertise that you are paying for...

Bingo - I don't understand why everybody thinks these builders should be giving away their design skills for free.

• Members

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that for this particular instance, it's a DD-3 in a huge box and modified in some way. It's like the antithesis of what a lot of people want.

Giant? Check
Ugly? Check
Expensive? Check
Minimal alterations for lots of money? Check
Hard to get? Check

• Members

Originally posted by jasonfuzz

Then why use another pedal? Why not just make a new pedal for customers instead of ripping an existing pedal apart?

Same principal as guys who hot rod engines - obviously he feels the Boss platform is a good one to expand upon.

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

Same principal as guys who hot rod engines - obviously he feels the Boss platform is a good one to expand upon.

the price he is charging is like the difference between a ford probe, and a fancy italian car.

at least in that comparisson that you get a car designed from the ground up,

In this comparisson, you get a "hot rodded" item. If he feels the boss platform is a good one, then he doesn't deserve the price mark of something designed from the ground up.

I agree that it takes time for someone to design something, this is just WAY overboard.

• Members

the price he is charging is like the difference between a ford probe, and a fancy italian car.

at least in that comparisson that you get a car designed from the ground up,

In this comparisson, you get a "hot rodded" item. If he feels the boss platform is a good one, then he doesn't deserve the price mark of something designed from the ground up.

I agree that it takes time for someone to design something, this is just WAY overboard.

Look - I'm not even trying to defend him (like he needs it anyway), but obviously more than few people feel that the pedal is worth the cost. Cornish has an impeccable reputation - unless you're holding one in your hand right now and checking the innards vs. a Boss schematic I don't really think you can make that judgement. You don't know the amount of engineering that goes into it (nor do I - for all I know you could be absolutely correct). I do know that he's one of a very few guys who's rep is based on catering to players who can afford anything they wish - they seem to be fine with giving him their business despite the other choices available. If it didn't sound good and wasn't roadworthy he wouldn't be selling them.

• Members

Look - I'm not even trying to defend him (like he needs it anyway), but obviously more than few people feel that the pedal is worth the cost. Cornish has an impeccable reputation - unless you're holding one in your hand right now and checking the innards vs. a Boss schematic I don't really think you can make that judgement. You don't know the amount of engineering that goes into it (nor do I - for all I know you could be absolutely correct). I do know that he's one of a very few guys who's rep is based on catering to players who can afford anything they wish - they seem to be fine with giving him their business despite the other choices available. If it didn't sound good and wasn't roadworthy he wouldn't be selling them.

I don't think it's worth the cost, that's what I'm expressing. Many people have more money that they know what to do with. Because they spend there money on things, it's supossed to mean it's good?

tinkerbell.jpg

That dog outfit cost around $200, a perfect example of rich people spending there money in a stupid way. Do I have the right to think that is stupid? yes, yes I do.

• Members

...he's one of a very few guys who's rep is based on catering to players who can afford anything they wish...

And that's fine. But when you get people like markom talking about how badly they want one is when we start rolling our eyes. Someone like David Gilmour has every right to buy Cornish gear. He's a professional and can afford it, as well as use it to its fullest potential.

But some bedroom player buying Cornish gear is like the little girl who's daddy buys her a 911 Turbo for her 16th birthday, or the soccer mom who buys an Escalade because she wants more room for groceries.

• Members

I don't think it's worth the cost, that's what I'm expressing. Many people have more money that they know what to do with. Because they spend there money on things, it's supossed to mean it's good?

tinkerbell.jpg

That dog outfit cost around $200, a perfect example of rich people spending there money in a stupid way. Do I have the right to think that is stupid? yes, yes I do.

Dude - I agree with most everything you're saying, I just don't think it applies to the Cornish stuff.

I'll bet that 75% of his biz goes to touring musicians - to them, the bulletproofing and mods Cornish does is obviously worth it. They don't have to even think about it - plug it in, play music. One less headache.

If it's gonna sit in your music room at home, hell get a TTE or Memory Lane or something. I agree it's stupid to pay that amount of money for something you won't ever reap the intended benefit from. But again, it really isn't any of my business how somebody chooses to spend their money - or yours.

• Members

Originally posted by murch33

And that's fine. But when you get people like markom talking about how badly they want one is when we start rolling our eyes. Someone like David Gilmour has every right to buy Cornish gear. He's a professional and can afford it, as well as use it to its fullest potential.

But some bedroom player buying Cornish gear is like the little girl who's daddy buys her a 911 Turbo for her 16th birthday, or the soccer mom who buys an Escalade because she wants more room for groceries.

I totally get your point, but be honest - if you had some big bucks to spend would you have the same rig as you do now..?

• Members

Originally posted by murch33

My thoughts exactly. I was just getting ready to say it reminds me of all the women around here driving hummers.

Ben C. my apologies for accusing you. I hang out alot at TGP too. I just get sick of all the stupid hype and snobbery. I understand that its not everyone and its not just the people of TGP.

About Cornish, I have no problem with what he charges. Thats his business. Do I think its ridiculous? Yes. But do I blame him? No. I blame idiots with too much money. Do you really think Markom's the only one out there who spends craploads of money on gear and has no true need for it. He justs happens to be young and naive enough to not know when to keep his mouth shut.

Archived