TGP cracks me up

dangerous dan

• Members

They are all GASing over the Cornish TES, I know this got mentioned on HCFX last week in a "digital delay" thread.

TGP Gas for Cornish TES

This is just a DD-3 tricked out with a variable low pass filter on the repeated signals to make is sound all "tape echo". Wow !! :)

Then put it in a large metal box so it meets "mil specs" and will never break.

Carl Martin Red Repeat does this, looks betters, and costs about 10% of the price, and it's a nice sounding delay too.

What a bunch of GAS monkeys. Suprisingly Markom is after one. They just have too much money too spend on a product because it's "Cornish", rather than realising what it actually is, A DD-3 in a box with a filter.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by daniel2001

I think that one of the reasons that Cornish gear is so expensive is that its just him and his wife, no-one else. I might be wrong on that so don't hold me to that.

You're absolutely correct it's just him and his wife, and you have to pay for them to physically make it and all the associated overheads. But for the money its costs the product IMO is just not worth it.

- A Stock DD-3 costs $110,

- A Keeley modded DD-3 which features th FX loop on the repeats is $209 (thus keeley mod costs about $100)

- The variable low pass filter wil be $50 tops

- The comedy metal enclosure is about $30

- The rest of the money is paying him to sit in his shed all day making the thing

I'd rather go with the Keeley modd'ed version and have access to the repeat loop, or just get a Karl Martin Red Repeat

• Members

There is also a completely different buffering system built and designed by Cornish that is incorporated, and some other improvements made as well, but I see your point. Cornish has a world renown reputation and is a status symbol amongst players - you could certainly gig with something costing substantially less, but the ones that can afford it feel it's worth the additional cost. I personally don't see the point in buying his stuff unless you're a guy who tours/gigs for a living - you're paying for roadworthyness, ergonomics, and ease of set-up of his board layouts which seem like they'd justify the cost over the long run. Otherwise, you're just paying for the name if its going to sit in your basement (or parent's basement in Markom's case)...

• Members

Originally posted by daniel2001

I think that one of the reasons that Cornish gear is so expensive is that its just him and his wife, no-one else. I might be wrong on that so don't hold me to that.

but that's true about a lot of boutique builders.

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

There is also a completely different buffering system built and designed by Cornish that is incorporated, and some other improvements made as well, but I see your point. Cornish has a world renown reputation and is a status symbol amongst players - you could certainly gig with something costing substantially less, but the ones that can afford it feel it's worth the additional cost. I personally don't see the point in buying his stuff unless you're a guy who tours/gigs for a living - you're paying for roadworthyness, ergonomics, and ease of set-up of his board layouts which seem like they'd justify the cost over the long run. Otherwise, you're just paying for the name if its going to sit in your basement (or parent's basement in Markom's case)...

buffer, around 7-10 components. the tb switch takes care of it anyway.

this is just an ugly pedal, at a stupid price, it really can't sound that good.

I can't believe anyone actually wants this pedal at any price, let alone over 1k. if you are going to rehouse a delay it might as well be something worthwhile........pds series anyone?

• Members

"They all" are gassing?
What, like a handful out of thousands? I'm with you in that I think the Cornish stuff is overpriced for what it is. What he charges for it is his bidness; buy it or don't.

Perfectly happy with my Analogman modded (hi-cut) Boss DD-6 here!

-Ben

• Members

Whats truly pathetic is how angry some people get over the way others choose to spend their money...

i get angry about people criticizing they way some people get angry over the way others choose to spend their money!

:confused:

i mean... :mad:

• Members

Whats truly pathetic is how angry some people get over the way others choose to spend their money...

its usually not the money spent that raises ire, its the snobbishness/holier-than-thou attitudes that invariably ship with these fx.

when you buy behringer, you get a little Behringer sticker.

when you buy Cornish, your social status is elevated so high that it gets tough to breathe, as oxygen is a bit thin way, way up there. about 40mins afterwards, you report to online forums and insist that everybody needs that pedal, or they've got no business at all being a guitar player. or even existing.

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

its usually not the money spent that raises ire, its the snobbishness/holier-than-thou attitudes that invariably ship with these fx.

when you buy behringer, you get a little Behringer sticker.

when you buy Cornish, your social status is elevated so high that it gets tough to breathe, as oxygen is a bit thin way, way up there. about 40mins afterwards, you report to online forums and insist that
everybody
needs that pedal, or they've got no business at all being a guitar player. or even existing.

The flipside is those annoyed chest-beaters who think that anyone who buys these expensive, hard-to-get pedals is a snobby, holier-than-thou jerk.

Neither group is right most of the time. Usually its just people that are simply into different types of pedals and have different views on them. No attitudes, no BS about who's dick is bigger. Whatever works for you.

-Ben

• Members

Originally posted by Ben Co.

The flipside is those annoyed chest-beaters who think that anyone who buys these expensive, hard-to-get pedals is a snobby, holier-than-thou jerk.

Neither group is right most of the time. Usually its just people that are simply into different types of pedals and have different views on them. No attitudes, no BS about who's dick is bigger. Whatever works for you.

-Ben

Me thinks you're from TGP and are only here to defend it. At least the last few posts from you have seemed that way.

• Members

Originally posted by Ben Co.

-Ben

Agreed.

• Members

Originally posted by therhodeo

Me thinks you're from TGP and are only here to defend it. At least the last few posts from you have seemed that way.

Haven't read his previous posts, but Ben's reply doesn't seem to be defending anything other than a person's right to choose what works best for them. Hard to argue against that.

He's right in that both camps wind up looking like petty idiots, spouting like they do. I don't begrudge anybody their choices - not my business for one, and I have much better things to spend my energy on. If you think a $20 Beringer OD sounds as good as a Klon for your purposes or vice versa, more power to ya. I for one could give a {censored}.

Archived