Triton vs. Fantom vs. motif

deanmass

• Members

Recommendation: go to your local music store and demo Triton Extreme, Roland Fantom X, and Yamaha Motif ES then decide based on what you like.

Also, Kurzweil does still sell synths, including the K2661.

These are all competitive products and you will find members here each has their favorite.

• Members

Use; Living room composition.

user=Picky old school musician

Price= relevant, but not a deal breaker.

FYI= I loved Kurzweils, 2500/2600's

recommendations or compare contrast?

Recommend - Kurzweil K26xx series.

OK, so it's still got scsi - that's about the only bad point I can think of.

(miniscule rom waveforms too in comparison to the others).

As a controller and synth/sample mangler, it still can do stuff the others can't.

If you want a lot of rom waves, yamaha's on top right now with the new XS.

Korg's got the new M3 out too, but there's not a lot of info on it (and no price either). Fantom's are still viable.

If you like to work with different synthesis types, take a look at the Alesis Fusion - it's got a lot to offer.

Kurzweils can kind of spoil you tho. ;)

• Members

First, I love that chart.....very cool...

I thought the Triton had the best keybed.

WTF are the Rolands seemingly higher priced...?

I did go down the local Monkey Pox Music and try all three, but, the dudes eyes glazed over when I asked him what the ratio of independent oscillators/generators to polyphony was.

From what hear, the Kurzweil stuff still has a fullness to it, but, I want 88 keys and do not want a used one if I do get one.

• Members

WTF are the Rolands seemingly higher priced...?

Those prices are all MAPS and old ones at that. Call around and you'll find all three cheaper.

I did go down the local Monkey Pox Music and try all three, but, the dudes eyes glazed over when I asked him what the ratio of independent oscillators/generators to polyphony was.

1:1 on all three.

If you like programming, Fantoms and Motifs give you more to work with with four independent lines per patch and more filter options. If you are doing a lot of simultaneous multitrack work, the Motif gives you the most insert effect blocks... 8. Soundwise, all three are good. All have category search functions to help you compare sound types you care about most.

• Members

From what hear, the Kurzweil stuff still has a fullness to it, but, I want 88 keys and do not want a used one if I do get one.

If you don't need the sampling or sequencing part of a workstation, the best deal in a weighted 88 right now is the refurbed Yamaha S90ES MF is selling for $1499. They have all the waveforms and every sound of a Motif ES plus a way better piano. This is just a killer deal and if I had the money right now I'd be all over this one in a heartbeat.

• Members

If you don't need the sampling or sequencing part of a workstation, the best deal in a weighted 88 right now is the refurbed Yamaha S90ES MF is selling for $1499. They have all the waveforms and every sound of a Motif ES plus a way better piano. This is just a killer deal and if I had the money right now I'd be all over this one in a heartbeat.

Whawhawhat? Where? I checked their site and couldn't find anything like that. I'm looking for one of those right now, that's killer. Could you be kind enough to post a link (if it is even still up)?

• Members

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/products.html?Id=286

of the ones on this page, the K2600X, PC2x, PC1X, SP88 and SP88X are all 88 keys and available new.

the S90ES someone brought up is a great board too. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived